1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get my head round this.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by blahblah, Apr 22, 2004.

1. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Want to upgrade my computer by buying another one. Can't get my head around dvd copying and cd burning etc. I wan't to be able to download music then burn to a cd. Also want the ability to download dvd and create own disc and be able to view dvd.Also would like to download photos i've taken onto dvd.Understand there are different formats to dvd but what do I need? Do I need a dvd rewriter and a cd burner or does the dvd rewriter do both. If it does, do I then need a dvd rom to watch and view films and photos. I'm so confused:blush:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD Writer will record both your CDs & DVDs, as well as playing back both types of disc of course.

I personally have 2 DVD writers for recording & playback duties on my computer (No CD writer only or plain DVD-ROM). Between those two drives they also cover burning/reading of DVD-RAM , +R & -R DVD formats.

3. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right,let's see if i'm on the right wavelength here.All I need is a dvd rewriter.This will burn and play any cd/dvd providing it's the right format.I don't need a dvd rom because I could download the song/film onto the hard drive and then copy it to disc.The benefit of having a dvd rom drive as well as the writer would be to bypass the hard drive and copy straight from disc to disc.Is this right?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's about the sum of it, but if you want to back up a DVD that you have bought you probably wouldn't be able to record that "on the fly" from a DVD-ROM drive anyway. The DVD's you buy in the shop are have more data on them than there is space on your recordable disc. You would need to copy to your hard drive first, compress it with readily available free software & then burn the compressed files to your recordable DVD.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Use something like DVD Shrink an amazing (free) program for backing up DVDs.

You can either reduce quality to make it fit on a standard DVD or remove bits you don't want like foreign soundtracks and extras.

I'm just starting to use it to watch my DVDs off my hard drive, it shrinks a whole DVD in about 10 minutes on my system and then you can watch it with no noisy DVD drive...

Cheers
    Marc

6. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not really thinking of backing up my dvd's but really would like the option of doing so if I require.Is it better do you think to download to harddrive and then copy, or would you rather have the facility to copy from one disc straight to another.I haven't got anything in mind and if/when I do, it wont be in any great amount, just want to cover my bets when I buy a new computer.No point in paying for something I wont need.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Personally I never copy disks directly from 1 to the other. I always create an image of the CD or DVD on my HDD. This can often be more reliable and therefore give you less coasters.
    An additional CD or DVD-ROM drive should only cost around £20 extra to be installed in a system, so not too much money if you do decide to get one.
    I agree that DVDShrink is an excellent bit of software. Being free makes it even better. I know you're not meant to but I do lend friends disks and in the past have not got some back, or got them back damaged. So now I just use DVDShrink to back them up before I lend them the copy. Also great to stop kids with sticky fingers damaging expensive origional disks.

Mark.

8. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right, think i'm far better informed now than I was a week ago. For £20 extra I will get the extra drive just in case. Good point about sticky fingers etc. When you copy for back up, do you also get the dts/ 5.1 soundtrack etc. I understand about some discs having encryption etc but as I understand it, there are ways around this.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, as long as there is room on the recorded disk then you can copy everything. You only need to remove parts of the origional disk to fit the contents on the smaller recordable disks.

Mark.

10. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks mark

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned: