Cant get Marantz MCR603 Online

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Coopster79, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After this thread https://www.fastmail.fm/html/?MLS=M...avforum&u=74c941ac&MSignal=MR-**f105297u36916 I bought the marantz.

To my amazement its turned out to be reasonably straightforward to connect the unit to my network and render music to the system (although I think my ID3 tags hold it back a bit - thanks Cebolla)

However, althought the homeplugs give me a local network connection which streams music within the network I cant seem to get any internet services going. The network connection function on the marantz records that a network connection is compelte (which of course it is because the unit will stream over the local network).

However, when I try and use internet radio I get told "server disconnected". Similarly, when I try to update the firmware on the unit (which requires an internet connection) I am told "Connection Fail: 03"

My ISP is Plusnet and Im on their fibre broadband service. The only unusual thing about my connection is that rather than have a router which also does the connection i have a fibre modem which is connected to the phone line and a wireless router thats connected to the fibre modem. My homeplug is connected to the hard sockets on the router.

Can anyone help resolve this?

Cheers
    Steve

2. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, by the way I can tell the router has assigned the Marantz an IP address as I can see it in the control panel. Also, I can see the until on the router's log files. In an attempt to make it work properly Ive also permanently assigned the network IP address to the marantz in case getting a new IP address was upsetting it, but to no avail.

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Are you connecting using WiFi from the Homeplugs or cabled into one? Any funny characters in the WPA key if WiFi? Tried with no WiFi security? Tried it wired direct to the router or modem?

Wire the Marantz to the router, do a complete power down of everything, bring the modem then router then Marantz back up giving each a while to settle down

Can you put Gateway and DNS entries into the Marantz manually?

Try OpenDNS servers 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 or PlusNet 212.159.13.49 & 212.159.13.50

Gateway try IP of Router & IP of Modem, should be IP of Router, modem should connect to a WAN port on router and just feed the internet into it

I helped a client setup a similar Denon, had to manually set everything up in the network menus and take out the &% characters in their WPA key. Took me a good while to get it to connect and update the firmware, since then it's been solid for ages for them though.

Gus

4. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its hardwired into the homeplugs. However, at the moment I just have a lan cable running direct to the router to take one thing out of the equation totally.

Yes, ive tried doing the connection manually. Thanks for those settings, I have used those and others, but it seems to make no odds.

Still does not work.

Manual says
    "This unit is not compatible with PPPoE. A PPPoE compatible router is required if you have a contract for a type of line set by PPPoE"

Now, I have a PPPoE broadband connection. The above says to me that you can't just plug the Marantz into the PPPoE modem and expect it to work and rather you need a PPPoE capable router. Clearly I have one of these and am connecting the Marantz to it.

The plusnet tech chap seems certain that its not about the PPPoE bit as thats just about the router talking to the modem and by the time the lan cable is connecting the router to the marantz its all one universally understood computer language.

Im at a bit of a loss. I think Ill pop round to a mates later as he will be on a normal broadband connection which should mean its PPPoA - that should finally rule in/out the PPPoE thing.

Anyone got further thoughts?

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If it has never connected it may be faulty, taking it to your mate's will confirm

It seems like the Marantz can't work out the route through the Router to the Modem and then to the Internet

Does the Router pass credentials to the Modem or just take a feed into it's WAN port - what make/model?

Gus

6. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi Steve,

Good to see you've got DLNA working, told you it wasn't anything to fear!

As far as internet access is concerned, I'd suspect a firewall (presumably on the router) is blocking the ports the MCR603 is using, assuming internet access is ok for other devices on the network and the Marantz itself isn't faulty. The basic LAN setup is obviously ok as you're getting communication between the Marantz and the DLNA server and you've aleady tried hard setting DNS entries, etc, so should be no need to mess around there any further.

Not knowing your router nor the ports the Marantz is using, it's possible that certain ports are blocked from the internet by default. Bare minimum are there different firewall profile settings, for example low, high, etc? - try using low.

BTW, the link to your other thread doesn't work!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  7. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gus. Im not sure my tech knowledge stretches to knowing what you are saying let along the answer!

The modem is an ECI Telecom Ltd Model no B-FOCus V-2FUb/r Rev.b and the router a Technicolor TG582n

Thanks
    Steve

8. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Get into the router 192.168.1.254, under Toolbox you have a link to firewall, try what Cebolla said and turn the firewall off

10. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Cebolla. Yes that works much less painlessly than I had expected. There had to be something though I suppose and its what I thought was the "straightforward" bit.

anyway, I turned off the router firewall and its still the same - Connection Fail: 03

Arrrggghh. Flaming tech!

11. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Interesting, the only other thing I can think of is your ISP possibly blocking access to the firmware update server and internet radio server that the Marantz is trying to get to. Bit of a long shot really, as I would have thought they are on totally different sites, so chances of both being blocked is even less likely, but it's possible they may the same or are in the same ip range. It could be that the "server disconnected" message might be due to old firmware and not actually a problem accessing internet radio, in which case the fault is just in getting to the firmware update site.

Might be time to get the 603 to your friend's, see if you can get it working there. Make sure you remember to update its firmware, if it does work there! Also have a quick search on the Plusnet forums to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, if you haven't already.

12. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Marantz appear to be offering a firmware for download - Marantz Firmware download Maybe allowing an upgrade off a USB stick for this model?

N.B. Can you confirm that on the 603 you have DHCP set to Yes and Proxy Server set to No (P.30 of the manual)?

13. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had DHCP set to yes, but eventually set it to "no" to manually insert all the details. Unfortunately doing this did not resolve the situation.

I did not have it set for a proxy server.

14. Coopster79

Coopster79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone else reading this with similar problems, I found that the unit would not return to DHCP "yes" and was stuck on "no" after I did the manual settings (in about 10 combinations). So I performed a microprocessor reset to see if that would solve the DHCP issue.

Happily, this reset also made the internet services fire up.

So, it looks like my unit needed a microprocessor reset straight out of the box. The proceedure is
    - turn unit off
    - unplug
    - hold down volume plus and volume minus button together and plug back in
    - keep hold of vol buttons for a few seconds then release
    - unit should then say "initialised"

Hopefully that's helpful for someone.

Thanks all responders above, any of the above approaches could have concievably resolved my problem and its a testament to the forum that people spent some of their sunday posting to try and help me.

Steve