Can't Get it Right...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dayzee, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Dayzee

Dayzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Debut! Hi Guys

I didnt really want my first post to be a newby bottom lip out 'Its not working when I do it' type post... But .. Hey thats why I joined the forum.. I best be honest! (Although I did do a big search on various combos of Keywords.. so dont expect things to be totally handed to me on a plate..)

N E Way.. To the Point(ish)

I just love music and movies and have wanted to upgrade for a while. My dad bought my last system for me 13 years ago when i was still at school..but it was the business and served me well...
    I now tho have no knowledge beyond your basic... My friends have no more than a midi system and whilst I know I want to make the most of 5.1 Surround and be able to play SVCDs and Music.. I am nowhere near in the league of most of you guys.. I just want good sound (guess we all do!)..

...So i went to Richer Sounds, where I was told I'd get a good deal..
    The guys were brilliant (I Think!) So helpful and friendly, and even helped me set it up at home. I brought a Sherwood Amp RD 7308R and a Cambridge DVD 55 and Limit £150 speakers - Sorry cant remember the model.. and spent (with cables etc). nigh on £600 .. When I got it home.. and set it up (with the help of some of your threads Thanx x) I was gutted with the sound...( and the free mug just did not compensate!) I know to some of you guys £500 wouldn't buy the diamond encrusted turntable belt (lol) but i was expecting the real dogs *****. I rang RS who dutifully came out and I ended up buying the Limit HAS-80 instead and a new VCR ....As.. 'my old VCR didnt have nikam stereo' and I apparently 'had top of the range DVD and Amp- and it was the speakers were letting me down" (alsos had to go back for Hack to play SVCDs and Remote)
    Fair Play.. I parted with another £300 and I now have these all set up. However, whilst a shop bought DVD sounds real nice... with the Sky TV ( I kept my original) whenever anyone speaks, it sounds like their voice is underwater somehow, Music CDs Original or MP3 needs soooo much fiddling dependant on the disc (and even then not always great results) it is ridiculous... I called them out and they brought a replacement set of HAS80 and they did the same thing.. They both said they hadnt come accrross it before...and said they didnt know what to suggest... The thing is, although sound is a very personal thing... i remain disapponted at the overall sound, and because I dont know the technical name for what Im trying to communicate.. I dont know if what I am asking for is unrealistic .. They suggested I spend an extra £210 and buy a Gales seprate set up type spepeakers and avoid buying a pre set pack altogether...
    Please (after my 'potted(ish)' history of Dayzee Buys A Stereo) Could anyone offer me any words of wisdom on the following...
    1. Is the DVD and Amp the quality I am lead to believe it is? i.e. domestic use.. front room 10 foot squareish... I had never heard of the names except Cambridge and convinced myself this was due to exclusivity!!
    2. Do all Surround Sound systems require tweaking along the lines of 'FL +3 extra, Centre -2 this time, etc. at almost every change of TV station and DEF every change of output medium...? The lil graphic equliser was so much easier and quicker to adjust, and you could find something you were happy with with relatively little adjustment
    3. The sound I am getting is great for Movies... but for music..theres no....oomph..(struggles to find words..) No 'middle(?) sound... no velvety feeling.. depth I guess...( I have read ALL instruction manuals..and twiddled with all the DSP settings.. Sub Up/Down etc. and ran it through Stereo)... by the time I am resigned to the best sound I can get.. the tracks finished...Gutted!
    To me, my Renault, bottom of the range, Cassette Stereo that came with the car...FILLS the car with with sound from 'all levels' (See why Im struggling explaining myself-wish I could just say 'yes well the Matrix Treble...blah blah...isnt quite what I expected' and they point me to one that does...) Can anyone help me with what I am trying to say.. so i can explain to them...
    4. Why does everyone on Big Brother, Anne Robinson and Even Homer Simpson sound like they are swimming underwater.. This can only be heard if you are sat right next to the speaker, (and inevitably due to limited space, someone always is) and this surely isnt right..?
    5. Finally, should I spend another £210 on the Gales. My thinking is for £900 I should be well impressed with the sound (unrealistic?) but on the other hand, ive spent £900 which although is not wasted, will annoy the hell out of me everytime I listen to them... So I may as well be happy and spend £1010 than be disappointed with the £900 purchase...

Well, thanks for listening, I didnt realise my pesonal AV issues ran so deep, I obviously needed to get it off my chest...!

Any hints with one or all of the above much appreciated (as long as its within 14 money back RS returns policy!!)

Dayzee -
    South West -
    Whos resorted to humming to herself for musical stimulation at present...

P.S They guys were soo friendly and helpful, and I think I do trust them.. but at the end of the day they are Salesmen....So objective opinion more than welcome (I also I feel they may be beginning to call me Mrs. Richards after the complaining old bat in Fawlty Towers - So dont want to call them again until I am abit clearer myself)

Cheers Loads in Advance...

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi Dayzee,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have no experience with the equipment that you have listed, but I do know that for £900, you should be happier than you are.

Here is some equipment that may satisfy your needs.

Toshiba SD220 DVD player. It plays VCD's, DVD's and CD's. It have a good array of connections for video and the usual digital and analogue audio outputs.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=sd220r2

Something like this yamaha amp will offer good DD and DTS decoding and respectable sound amplification.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206385

If you used these speakers for your main front left/right, you should get a nice stereo sound, and you may not need a sub for movies.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=201408

These are some products from RS that I would consider buying, but you would need to fill in the gaps with equipment from elsewhere.

Alternatively, you could buy this package
    http://209.167.103.167/1803KHT.htm
    and just add the Toshiba player and have a fantastic system for movies, but.... It seems that Hi-Fi sound quality is very important to you, but by using AV equipment to playback CD's, you will always be somewhat compromised.

I don't think you mention in your post above what speakers you currently use, but assuming that they need upgrading, you are in luck. Speakers that are no longer in a manufacturers current range are ofter heavily discounted, but unlike some electrical equipment, speakers do not evolve greatly from one year to the next. This means that for a relatively small amount of cash, you could get your hands on some nice speakers.

Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed, I am at work, and keep being interupted by customers. :mad:

Hope this helps.

Rob

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would be tempted to take all that stuff back, it's all pretty low end. There are some great bargains to be had out there from names like Tannoy, Mission, Toshiba (as mentioned), Marantz, Yamaha etc. etc.

Tell us exactly what components you want for your £900 and we'll come up with some winners.

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Juat had a quick glance at the RS site and £900 would comfortably buy you a Marantz 4300 reciever, Pioneer 656A DVD/SACD player and the Mission Cinema 6 Speaker system. This combination would easilly destroy what they have recommended. It should give you excellent movie performance and good enough CD playback. You could always replace the fronts with better speakers later.

I believe the boss of RS owns Gale and they seem to be always pushing Cambridge and Sherwood products. I guess they must think they are really good......

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dayzee

I'm afraid to say that Stereo Steve is probably right. I have no experience of the equipment you refer to, but there is enough written about most the stuff Steve has mentioned to know you'd be on the right track. Not heard much praise being dumped on Sherwood amps. I have heard the Mission M7 cinema package (I think it is) and sound for pound they are great. I have a Yamaha cinema amp which I reckon to be great value. They are bringing out new models all the time which means you can always buy the previous model at a good price.

You should be able to get a good system for £900 that'll nock your socks off. It looks from what you are saying, as though RS have steered you toward their preferred brands. I might be over sinical but, I personally would steer clear of those brands as it is clear that RS have an agenda and those brands probably offer the best profit margin to them, which means you get less for your money. RS do some great bargains but you need to know what you want when you go there.

Good Luck

Crocodile JD

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Also, the Denon 1602/1603 can be found for around £150-200 and are cracking little amps for the money. Need to be a bit careful with speakers as they can sound harsh and brittle but with care, they can sound as good as any £500 amp. The Missions mentioned above would suit well IMHO.

A lot of my mates shop at RS and all have Eltax, Gale, Sherwood, Cambridge gear and the best I ever think of it is that it's 'alright'. It's clear that RS staff like to sell these brands which is fair enough.

Have fun and have no mercy. £900 is a serious lump of wedge for most people so you want something that you will be happy with.

7. Dayzee

Dayzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pointers guys...
    For my £900 I would like to get a DVD that would play VCD DVD and CD (and MP3..)
    I need an amp with a tuner that will also take my VCR, TV/Sky, DVD, PC and PS2.
    I was hoping to get good sound for both CD and DVD - but i probably use the CD more... If I get a seperate CD player would I get better sound...or is it that Ive got speakers designed for films primarily..?
    Finally the speakers... so only 3 things really for £900
    I still have the box for the Speakers (Limit- HAS80) but not for Amp or DVD... Do you think they will accept it..?