1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get HC42 to display to TV - problem with camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by zedzed, Oct 6, 2005.

1. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi folks,

Bought a sony HC42 yesterday - happy with it so far :)

However - I can't get it to display the recorded footage on my TV (pana PW7 plasma).

I'ev connected it to my DAVS550 using composite leads - no picture output (although I get audio) ... and then I connected the composite leads to one of the scart connectors and plugged that into my "input" scart on telewest box and again - I can get audio but no picture.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it (as I suspect) something to do with either the camcorder, the leads, or the "base statio" (camcorder sits in it and composite leads plug into the base station).

Thanks,

ZedZed

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    :eek: Do you have to set the panny for composite in
    Or the intermediate units ?

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It sounds like a problem with input on the TV. You probably do need to set the input to composite.

As you are getting sound on the TV, it would appear you have selected the right TV channel.

Do you have any other device with composite inputs which you could connect the camcorder to, to check if the camcorder is outputting a picture i.e. dvd recorder, video recorder which can them be played back to the TV?

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Suonds like you're on to something here. I can only set the inputs (VGA input and RCA component input board) on my PW7 to "RGB" or "component". Maybe my telewest box is passing the signal straight through as composite - hence no signal there. And maybe my DAVS550 box won't take in a composite signal and convert it to component (it's hooked up to the PW7 with component cables).

Dunno how to test that theory though!

ZedZde

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The DAVS550 will definately not upconvert from composite to component. You would need an external conversion box of an AV amp which specifically upconverts.

How is the Telewest box connected to your plasma?

It's likely that routing a composite signal through the telewest box will not work unless the telewest box is outputing a composite signal as well. Have you tried changing the output setting on the telewest box, if possible. It maybe setup as RGB at the moment, hence you are not getting a signal through.