Can't get Freeview on Bravia

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by MikeyV, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MikeyV

MikeyV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have sky HD in main room and sky+ in bedroom. Freeview works in main room but doesn't in bedroom. I think mainroom room is running freeview through main ariel but shouldn't freeview run in bedroom through sky+ without ariel?

BTW: I live in London so freeview area Ok and I only want to use freeview when recording 2 things on sky.

Know my Sky but noob with freeview!

Appreciate any help:D

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    How? Freeview is only available through a TV aerial. If you haven't got a TV aerial going into the back of the TV in the bedroom how can it pick up any terrestrial TV picture (analogue or digital)? The only TV it can show you is via the Sky+ box, which is connected to it via scart. Either run an aerial directly into the back of the TV, or run an aerial into the back of the Sky box, then from the Sky box to the TV, if you want to watch Freeview on that TV.

You will get Freesat channels on your Sky+ box, but you won't be able to watch a third Freesat channel while recording two already.

3. MikeyV

MikeyV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am using ariel for main room so thats why I am receiving freeview through main room. I suppose I will just use an indoor ariel (any recommendations?) for bedroom as I don't want to run anymore cables.

Just wasn't sure I need an ariel for freeview - now I know, as I said noob when it comes to freeview.

Anyway, thanks for your help its much appreciated!:thumbsup:

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    You may be lucky and get a few channels but for the majority of folk a good external aerial is required for reliable Freeview reception.

5. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Agreed but funny things can happen. :)

My sister lives where the Freeview website says she cannot get Freeview now nor will she be able to after 2012. A complete no no. Wolfbane speaks of 30 foot masts, high gain aerials with masthead amps and an outside chance of reception if she is lucky.

So she installs a Bravia yesterday (cheap one I expect) and with her 20 year old aerial drooping from the gutter of a bungalow complete with ancient cable she proudly gloats that she registered 88 channels and not yet seen any problems.

So much for the freeview.co.uk predictor and now I am never going to hear the last of it because my warning was worthless!

6. Pippaki

Pippaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new as well and also have problems with my freeview setup.

The setup used to be like this:
    I live in a block of flats (6th floor out of 11).
    Toshiba TV connected to Freeview box which was connected to an indoor arerial. This worked just fine. I also had ONE socket in the living room to connect to one of the dishes up on the roof, one SKY and the other one is a HOTBIRD. I choose the HOTBIRD because the channels are free. The cable connected to a digital receiver and I used a scart cable to connect to the TV.

Now I have got a Sony Bravia KDL-40X3500 :thumbsup:
    This TV I am told has freeview already built in. I tried to connect my small indoor arerial but the connections don't fit (they are both boys I think). So I run a search without any arerial connected to the tv and picked up Sky Three. Then I plugged in the coxial cable that came with the Sony TV without connecting it on the other end. I was now able to receive 22 channels (radio + tv) but the major ones were still missing (bbc, itv, channel4 ect..).
    I had to connect my old freeview box to the tv via scart and connect my indoor arerial to the freeview box.

I just think this cannot be the way its supposed to be?
    Any help to get Freeview via the inbuilt one would be appreciated. :lease:

Thanks,
    PS: Hotbird connected without any problems.

7. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    RF Female-female converter. From Maplins. Connect one end to your aerial lead, other end to TV.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,550
    I can only suggest that you're trying to plug it into the wrong place :confused:
    A standard coax aerial socket on every TV for use in the UK is Female.
    A standard coax plug on a set-top aerial is Male.

9. trevor.dowle

trevor.dowle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The AE input on a Bravia is behind a removable flap on the RH rear side of the set (looking from the front). It also contains the CAM card if fitted.