1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get decent full picture on Freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Greyhound, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the SAGEM ITD66 freeview box and use it with my Panasonic 32" widescreen TV which I've set the aspect ratio to 16:9. When viewing programmes through the freeview box I noticed that the edges of some programmes are chopped off. This is especially noticable when there are titles on the screen where the first couple of letters cannot be seen if they are on the far left or right of the picture.

I looked at the settings on the freeview box and noticed that the picture can be set to 4:3 pan and scan, 4:3 letter box or 16:9. I set the freeview box to 16:9 thinking this should be compatible with the aspect ratio on my TV. However, I noticed that although I get more of the picture appearing on the TV (no loss of picture at the edges) that the pictures seem more squashed up from the side eg a person's face now appears narrower than how it was on analogue - everything seems narrower. I also noticed that some programmes have black edges on the left and right side of the picture i.e like a letterbox effect but on the side.

When I view progammes through the analogue channel I notice that the picture automatically adjusts itself to fit the TV screen. There are no loss of picture at the edges or letter box effects on the side of the picture.

Can anyone advise what settings I should have on my setup to get the best picture or is this a known problem with viewing digital TV?

Thanks in advance

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You incorrectly had your TV set to 16:9 when you were using it with analogue, it should have been set to 4:3 or auto (not sure of setting for your particular TV). It now seems that you are switching correctly between 4:3 and 16:9 so this setting has changed. The black bars on the side are because the transmission is 4:3 so to show in the correct aspect ratio you have to have bars on the side. The reason why people look thinner is that before you had fattyvision (4:3 stretched to 16:9), making everyone look fat whereas now you are seeing a correct 16:9 display.

Your STB and TV now sound as though they are correctly set up to work together. To confirm this go to Sky News, you should have bars at the side. Then go to BBC News 24 and the picture should stretch to fill the screen.

3. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bobcar. So, with my freeview box set to 16:9 and my TV aspect ratio also set to 16:9 everything is setup correctly? Are you also saying that it is correct that people should look thinner now because I originally had an incorrect setup that made people look fat (an image that looks normal to me now because I've got used to it - which is why everything looks too narrow now)?

4. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bingo!

5. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats correct except that your TV shouldn't be SET to 16:9 but should switch to it automatically when 16:9 is broadcast. To do this set the TV to 4:3 (or maybe auto depending on TV) whilst watching Sky News (which is 4:3). Then switching between Sky News and BBC News 24 (16:9) the picture should switch between 4:3 (bars down side) and 16:9 automatically, then you know its setup ok.

If it doesn't switch automatically then you need to look at your STB, is there a "scart controls enable" or similar that needs to be setup.

6. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I thought fattyvision was a result of watching programmes on a widescreen TV which for best viewing needed to be set to 16:9. I didn't realise I should've set the aspect ratio to auto - If only I knew this years ago. Doh!!

7. yellsie

yellsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I am in the market for a STB and am looking at the Sagem ITD66, what is this like to use? Have you had any problems, apart from the size of your screen? What is the picture and sound quality like? What is the quality of the JPEG reader like? I have read somewhere that this box sometimes chooses the wrong channels and picks up on weak signals?
    Hope you can help.

Regards