Can't get channels in Vista Media Center

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Leitchy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Leitchy

Leitchy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I setup my media center a few weeks back and after a few issues, I am now ready to start using the darned thing.

When I search for new channels in the Channel finder, it only comes up with 7 channels (BBC1, BBC2 and 5 randoms) and don't know how to get more. My freeview box upstairs can get every channel with full signal so I think that rules out my signal strength.

Any idea's how I can sort this before I throw it out the window?

I tried Media Portal aswell, though it seems to have troubles with my Hauppauge Nova-T-500.

2. Martin Chatfiel

Martin Chatfiel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In my experience a £30 Freeview box can have a more sensitive tuner than a TV card. Try a signal booster on your PC, make sure all the connectors are OK. Swap the Freeview box and the PC in case the downstairs wiring is faulty.

If your Freeview box is OK you are getting a good signal from your aerial which is 90% of the problem.

3. martytoo

martytoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just experienced this with a friends brand new Laptop. Connected a proper aerial and it promptly located 54 channels. The supplied aerial would probably work quite well within a mile or so of the transmitter, but sitting 12 miles away it's useless. Try a decent aerial connection and you might do better maybe even an indoor aerial would do better than the feeble excuse supplied!

4. Leitchy

Leitchy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the box detects all the channels, as I found them all in another menu though it just doesnt want to display them. I read elsewhere about this having something to do with the guide, and if it cant find the channel to use the guide with it simply wont show the channels. The ariel is brand new as are the wires so its nothing to do with the connection.

It's really doing my head in, I wonder if MediaPortal is worth another try if they support the NovaT-500 that is!

5. Leitchy

Leitchy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok well I found out the latest unstable build of Media Portal has built in support for the Nova T so I've ripped out Vista (Was being buggy with me anyways) and installed Media Portal again. All is fine until I actually try and watch the TV on it, not as clear an image as my standalone Freeview box, and its very noticable on a 50" screen. Any tips to make this any better?

6. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
  7. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    it's to do with mux offset, there's a really long discussion about it over on thegreenbutton in the ask microsoft section. quite a few tuners don't work in Vista MC but do work in other pieces of software so there appears to be something wrong with Vista MC or the drivers. I'm having exactly the same problem with a Freecom USB DVB-T stick and there's plenty of T-500 users on the post I mentioned too