Question Can't get Any freeview signal

MarkA67

Novice Member
We have just ditched Sky Q and we were going to opt for Freeview but we cannot find a single Freeview channel when re-tuning it. We have tried 8 different aerials, all with varying range and amplification to no avail, even the one on the roof doesn't pick any signal up.

We have put our address into the freeview website who say we should get good signal as the transmitter is literally less than 2 miles down the road (as the crow flies) so we literally have no idea why we are unable to get any signal.

We've tried 2 TalkTalk boxes and 2 different TV's but they all yield the same result of either finding subscription channels only in the case of the TalkTalk boxes or no channels at all if using the TV.

Sadly Sky changed the LNB so to get Freesat we would have to pay to have the LNB changed back and everyone round here seems to be quoting over £100 (which is a lot considering we watch about two or three hours a week if that which is why we ditched Sky in the first place)

Is there anything else we can check in case we are doing something wrong? We are using auto mode to retune the channels.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
We have tried 8 different aerials, all with varying range and amplification to no avail, even the one on the roof doesn't pick any signal up.

We have put our address intoWe've tried 2 TalkTalk boxes and 2 different TV's but they all yield the same result of either finding subscription channels only in the case of the TalkTalk boxes or no channels at all if using the TV

I suspect those “8 different aerials” were indoor set-top types. These only work in areas of good signal strength and modern house construction attenuates the signals so for now concentrate on using the roof aerial only.
Plug it directly into the aerial socket of your TV bypassing the TalkTalk boxes and go through the TV's setup/tuning procedure.
If no joy report back with the TV's brand and model number.

mike7

Distinguished Member
If the roof aerial doesn't work then I would see the need to check your cables, plugs and sockets. Even a whisker of wire can short out and kill a signal. Does you roof top aerial have an amplifier/booster of some sort? It will either a be a small box on the aerial itself or in the loft. A loft box might also be a 'splitter' which routes the signal to several points around the house. Chances are these need to be powered by a mains supply. If they are not being powered, then the signal will be blocked. As JayCee says indoor aerials are often a waste of money for a reliable signal.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location? (Approx within 100m ideally. Postcode of shop, pub, school, church etc.,.)
This will identify transmitter and permit manual tuning to be tried which can aid aerial cable fault finding. {<detailed view> of the digitaluk reception predictor will give you the multiplex frequencies to manual tune to.}

No signal at all to me is most probably indicative of a missing amplifier in the roof aerial system (as already suggested).
Try different fly-leads and go over all accessible aerial plugs and sockets thoroughly.

Has the roof aerial ever worked (when you first moved in?). Do you remember removing and keeping safe somewhere a small remote-power supply box (some call them 'boosters' erroneously) connected to the aerial cable? Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers shows one example.

As you've tried YouView boxes it rules out my "finger trouble tuning on analogue" possible...

Two miles from a main transmitter should be wet string or screwdriver in the aerial input socket works. From a very low power relay may be very different? But I'd have expected something if they were pointing the right way (and correctly polarised) albeit unreliable / breaking up.

Finally, the Q LNB on a $ky dish can be easily swapped for a standard one by any fairly competent d-i-y person - provided that access is easy from some stepladders. Just take care not to move the dish at all.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom