Can't get any channels on Hotbird 13B Transponder 128 using Echostar DSB-890

markie76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My mum in London has an Echostar DSB-890 with monoblock LNB on 80cm dish which she uses to watch FTA Polish channels on Astra (19.2) and Hotbird 13B\C\E (13).

The channel 'TVP Polonia' has moved from Hotbird 13C 11179H transponder 133 to Hotbird 13B 11075V transponder 128.

She has asked me to re-tune her receiver which should be a simple job of entering the new frequency setup or doing a transponder scan then channel search. Same as previous channel moves.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case as having entered the new channel settings the receiver is displaying a signal strength of 75% but 00% quality (signal-to-noise ratio) and not detecting\displaying any network name.
When I look up other channels and the old TVP Polonia channel in the same setup screens the signal strength is 75% with quality hovering around 70% and a network name displayed.

I have used the details from Lyngsat and set the following parameters to auto;
VIDEO PID: Auto
AUDIO PID: Auto
PCR PID: Auto

A scan\search on 11075V finds nothing and a full satellite scan of Hotbird 13B finds 100's of channels except the new TVP Polonia channel.

What am I doing wrong?

The old TVP Polonia channel is displaying 'new broadcast' settings to use - but it mentions settings called ONID \ TSID \ SID - how do these map into an Echostar configuration?
With the video\audio & pcr set to 'auto' it should automatically detect them?

EDIT: If anyone reading this watches Hotbird 13B could you see if you receive anything on transponder 128 11075V

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

It's working OK .. what symbol rate are you using - it should be 30000

It's working OK .. what symbol rate are you using - it should be 30000
Thanks for your reply.

Yes S/R = 30000
Also tried doing an OTA software update but says nothing found.
Should I try entering the ONID\TSID\SID params into the V\A\PCR PID fields rather than trying 'Auto'?
If so, which value goes where?

Otherwise the only thing left is trying a factory reset. Then perhaps getting a new box which I'd rather avoid as my mum is so used to using this one.

Does it have blind scan .. if so try blinds scanning that area or the whole sat

Is the lnb set to universal

It could be interference / lnb fault / electrical fault from that or another device howsoever it's connected eg on a shared aerial amp / shared lnb etc.

Does it have blind scan .. if so try blinds scanning that area or the whole sat
Yes, search type: Digital IF which I believe is the Echostar equivalent of searching for 'everything' being received from the satellite. Took about 25 minutes.
Manual description;
"Digital IF; the currently received satellite is scanned for digital channels. The digital channels, within the tuner bandwidth and selected symbol rates are scanned in and added to the end of the All channels list."
Is the lnb set to universal
Yes.
It could be interference / lnb fault / electrical fault from that or another device howsoever it's connected eg on a shared aerial amp / shared lnb etc.
No shared devices or amps. Monobloc LNB on a single coax link straight into receiver.
Receiver plugged into mains and into TV via scart lead.
Nothing else connected.

:(

You can get a fault from the tv itself that could cause interference at a given frequency - low likelihood though

Maybe the mono block has an issue

Or a cable fault including too tight a bend - that can affect one rf area but would be both pols..

You could check a similar tp (frequency /pol) on 19.2e

Maybe the mono block has an issue
Any tests possible?
You could check a similar tp (frequency /pol) on 19.2e
11068V tp:40 gives me signal: 73% and quality 58/59% - 6 channels found.
11082H tp:41 gives me signal: 73% but quality 00 - no channels found.
11097V tp:42 gives me signal: 73% and quality 58% - 39 encrypted channels found.
11127V tp:44 gives me signal: 71% but quality 00 - no channels found.

Looks like possible hardware fault somewhere - time to get the ladder out 😭

Hi, You are not alone..

I am located in Copenhagen, and I have exactly the same issue with TVP Polonia on 11075V, zero signal, but the transponders with frequencies close to 11075 have signal..

Did you find the issue ? (or can anyone confirm they can receive TVP Polonia on the new frequence ?)

Hi, You are not alone..

I am located in Copenhagen, and I have exactly the same issue with TVP Polonia on 11075V, zero signal, but the transponders with frequencies close to 11075 have signal..

Did you find the issue ? (or can anyone confirm they can receive TVP Polonia on the new frequence ?)

I posted above that I'd checked it & it is working

This could be overload/ harmonics from another transponder or transponders into a sensitive lnb &/or tuner

One test is to REDUCE the overall signal - if you have motorised satellite - just nudge off Sat until it pops up

Or on a fixed dish you could attenuate the signal with say a wet tea towel

You could try a attenuator but that will only help the tuner- if it's the lnb then the damage has already been done

I don't know the Echostar DSB-890 but is it DVB-S2 capable? All the transponders you mention on both Hotbird and 19˚E are DVB-S2 transponders, whereas the ones that work are original DVB-S.

I posted above that I'd checked it & it is working

This could be overload/ harmonics from another transponder or transponders into a sensitive lnb &/or tuner

One test is to REDUCE the overall signal - if you have motorised satellite - just nudge off Sat until it pops up

Or on a fixed dish you could attenuate the signal with say a wet tea towel

You could try a attenuator but that will only help the tuner- if it's the lnb then the damage has already been done

OK, thanks for info..

I did just try with a wet towel, but it did just kill all other channels .

I was wondering, do you have the same signal strength on HB11034v(tp126) and HB11075v(tp128), or is the 11075 higher/lower in strength ?

I think I will do a full rescan, but only on HB. just be sure that the toneselect, selects the head I expect.

Re my post no 10 above I've just had a look on line and it appears this receiver is not DVB-S2 capable.

New receiver time. Maybe something like this, cheap and cheerful would do.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi,

My mum in London has an Echostar DSB-890 with monoblock LNB on 80cm dish which she uses to watch FTA Polish channels on Astra (19.2) and Hotbird 13B\C\E (13).

The channel 'TVP Polonia' has moved from Hotbird 13C 11179H transponder 133 to Hotbird 13B 11075V transponder 128.

She has asked me to re-tune her receiver which should be a simple job of entering the new frequency setup or doing a transponder scan then channel search. Same as previous channel moves.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case as having entered the new channel settings the receiver is displaying a signal strength of 75% but 00% quality (signal-to-noise ratio) and not detecting\displaying any network name.
When I look up other channels and the old TVP Polonia channel in the same setup screens the signal strength is 75% with quality hovering around 70% and a network name displayed.

A scan\search on 11075V finds nothing and a full satellite scan of Hotbird 13B finds 100's of channels except the new TVP Polonia channel.

What am I doing wrong?

The old TVP Polonia channel is displaying 'new broadcast' settings to use - but it mentions settings called ONID \ TSID \ SID - how do these map into an Echostar configuration?

EDIT: If anyone reading this watches Hotbird 13B could you see if you receive anything on transponder 128 11075V

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for posting this question original post and answers, it helped me figure out how to retune my Gran's technomate receiver. I was really struggling with the polonia message but the way you articulated the issue really helpe. Thanks and hope you get your issue resolved.

Hi,

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi having the same problem with my mum's satellite receiver, an old Technomate TM-1000D.

I'm not that technically minded so some of this is above my head.

In the menu I can only enter PiD numbers which TV Polonia hasn't provided. In the search menu it does have an option to enter a transponder but this is GHz number not MHz. It does have symbol rate settings and polarisation. But can't find anywhere to enter the other settings TV polonia has provided.
Does anybody know if there is somewhere in the menu to enter these other settings.
Or is the receiver just too old?
Thanks

Andy
F3563455-4198-4B91-B24F-9A1FC6A6D7A0.jpeg

The Technomate TM-1000D also does not support DVB-S2. New receiver time I'm afraid.

Put simply. Old SD receivers don't support DVB-S2. New HD receivers do.

OK, thanks for info..

I did just try with a wet towel, but it did just kill all other channels .

I was wondering, do you have the same signal strength on HB11034v(tp126) and HB11075v(tp128), or is the 11075 higher/lower in strength ?

I think I will do a full rescan, but only on HB. just be sure that the toneselect, selects the head I expect.

Just for info, I also did solve my issue.. (and no, my TV/Receiver is fine with S2)
The issue was, that the TV's default SR frequencies on 11075 was 27500 with H pol, after fiddling with the the setup, I did change this to 30000 with V polarization, and now the channels are fine.

So, Remember: Check if the receiver can handle DVB-S2, the symbol rate is 30000 and the polarization is Vertical (not just accept the receivers default)

I don't know the Echostar DSB-890 but is it DVB-S2 capable? All the transponders you mention on both Hotbird and 19˚E are DVB-S2 transponders, whereas the ones that work are original DVB-S.
I did notice that and dud google DSB-890 specs but got some conflicting info - a few snippets of info saying it is DVB-S2/H.264 compatible but none that filled me with confidence I was reading reliable info or a full spec list. Thank you for confirming as you saved me a climb up the ladder :thumbsup:

Re my post no 10 above I've just had a look on line and it appears this receiver is not DVB-S2 capable.

New receiver time. Maybe something like this, cheap and cheerful would do.

Oooh looks like a good candidate as I had started looking and the first requirement was a HDMI output.

Do you know if there are any voice controlled receivers or televisions (or any a/v equipment) available on the market? A feature built into the unit itself ideally or which could somehow be added by using an amazon/google home type unit?
It's 2020 and the remote control has been around for decades so seems like the natural progression especially for elderly people who find navigating through menus confusing and one wrong button press ends badly. Or as my mum has arthritis in her hands and pressing small buttons is painful for her.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for posting this question original post and answers, it helped me figure out how to retune my Gran's technomate receiver. I was really struggling with the polonia message but the way you articulated the issue really helpe. Thanks and hope you get your issue resolved.
Well thank you and glad I provided some help. :clap:

Hi having the same problem with my mum's satellite receiver, an old Technomate TM-1000D.

I'm not that technically minded so some of this is above my head.

In the menu I can only enter PiD numbers which TV Polonia hasn't provided. In the search menu it does have an option to enter a transponder but this is GHz number not MHz. It does have symbol rate settings and polarisation. But can't find anywhere to enter the other settings TV polonia has provided.
Does anybody know if there is somewhere in the menu to enter these other settings.
Or is the receiver just too old?
Thanks

AndyView attachment 1240610
Oooh freaky :eek:
My mum has also identical decor in front of her tv!
A shell in the middle, some small pots and something which looks like a coconut with a slit cut out of it from which some fake/dried flowers come out....

Just for info, I also did solve my issue.. (and no, my TV/Receiver is fine with S2)
The issue was, that the TV's default SR frequencies on 11075 was 27500 with H pol, after fiddling with the the setup, I did change this to 30000 with V polarization, and now the channels are fine.

So, Remember: Check if the receiver can handle DVB-S2, the symbol rate is 30000 and the polarization is Vertical (not just accept the receivers default)

You legend thanks for posting this vital bit of information as you helped me fix it! TV's default SR frequencies on 11075 was 27500 with H pol, I change this to 30000 with V polarization, instantly saw the 2 bars of signal and quality shoot up, scanned and found the another duplicate TVP in the list that works.

You have made one Polish granny very happy 🙂👍 and i have been rewarded with tea and a Big box of biscuits thanks again.😁

Brill thank you, will have a look for a new one

Hi, so bought the receiver below which seems to fit the requirements. No problems and tuned it to receive TV Polonia with no problems.

However my mum also watches the Trwam, a FTA station on the Astra 1L 19.2e satellite which the receiver cannot find.

The receiver has a list of pre-set channels and I've entered the frequencies but it cannot find it. The receiver is basic though and I can only enter the frequency, polarisation and symbol rate. The reciever seems to have found other channels on the Astra 1L satellite with no problem.

When I switch back to the old receiver TRWAM plays as normal so not an issue with the dish.

Instruction manual on the new receiver isn't very good and can't find much information online.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Blazer HD400 Combo H.265 HEVC Full HD 1080p FTA DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-T, DVB-T2 Digital Receiver Satellite & Terrestrial Blazer HD400 Combo H.265 HEVC Full HD 1080p FTA DVB-S: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Attachments

• DCCB4EC5-0C90-4093-B4CD-3FBE47D396C8.png
    DCCB4EC5-0C90-4093-B4CD-3FBE47D396C8.png
    210 KB · Views: 109
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
and I've entered the frequencies
How did you then run the 'search'? (or what options are available)
Are there options to enter Video PID/ Audio PID? if yes were they set to a value or 'Auto'?

Don't forget to tune in 'Radio Maryja' - every TVTRWAM viewer will also want that :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom