Can't get all Freeview channels in the West Midlands

hindess

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why when I lived in Southampton I could get all available Freeview channels including all the HD ones, and that now I live in Bromsgrove, I get half those channels and hardly any HD ones..! I tried to tune to this new Crime channel number 60 and no way will it come up! Anybody else having this problem?

In Southampton you would have been receiving Freeview from the Rowridge mast on the I.O. Wight.

In Bromsgrove you will now be receiving from a different transmitter.

You need to press Menu on your receiver (TV Tuner and/or other) and carry out an auto re-tune.

Assume your aerial is already aimed at the correct local transmitter?

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
'Hardly any' HD channels also perhaps implies that the 'other' HD MPXs are not available or tuned on his new Tx. I assume though Bromsgrove is CP and that CP has those.

Bromsgrove is a SFN (Single Frequency Network) relay with Lark Stoke (Near Stratford On Avon). It doesn't have COM 7 or 8. The OP needs to get Sutton Coldfield if that's possible.

Postcode and house number here should give an idea as to SC reception.

Digital UK Industry - The postcode coverage checker

Aerial will need re-aligning and mounting horizontally.

Last edited:
I am assuming that the house purchased by the OP in Bromsgrove already has an aerial fitted and aimed at the transmitter serving that location.

Many years ago when I lived in Worcester, (16 miles south of Bromsgrove) I received my TV signal from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

If his aerial is pointing in the same direction as everyone else's he just needs to carry out a re-tune, no need to re-align it GLT.

Vin Blanc

OOPS. I was obviously thinking of Bromley. :blush: That's PDC to CP. I'm pretty much a geographical dunce it seems.:laugh:

Bromsgrove transmitter is a 'main' 6-mux one... as GLT says... If the new home aerial Vertically polarised it will likely be on Bromsgrove. If, however it is Horizontally polarised in that area it could also be pointed at The Wrekin which is another 6 mux site.

If the receiving aerial is old enough it may be Group A (for Bromsgrove/The Wrekin) and not even receiving all the transmitted muxes from the site(s)...

One of the first things needed is to determine where the existing aerial points (a compass or Google maps can help)...
Next, what reception predictions suggest will be available if a good aerial is directed at one of the transmitters which transmit the temporary COM7/8 HD muxes...

and a check of what muxes are currently being received would not go amiss (using the TV signal level/quality metering)...
Bromsgrove (Worcestershire, England) Full Freeview transmitter
Sutton Coldfield (Birmingham, England) Full Freeview transmitter
The Wrekin (Telford and Wrekin, England) Full Freeview transmitter

I am assuming that the house purchased by the OP in Bromsgrove already has an aerial fitted and aimed at the transmitter serving that location.

Many years ago when I lived in Worcester, (16 miles south of Bromsgrove) I received my TV signal from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

If his aerial is pointing in the same direction as everyone else's he just needs to carry out a re-tune, no need to re-align it GLT.

Vin Blanc

As I already posted Bromsgrove has it's own relay transmitter. That ought to tell you that down to the local topograpy reception from Sutton Codfield is difficult or impossible. The fact that the OP cannot get the Com7 and Com8 mux indicates that his aerial is pointing at this and is mounted for vertical polarisation. To have any chance of getting Sutton Coldfield the aerial will need to be-realigned and mounted horizontally. I am also in the primary service area for Sutton Coldfield but reception is unreliable due to trees behind my property. As a result I have a log36 in my loft which points south to Lark Stoke which uses the same Mux frequencies as Bromsgrove (SFN).

The OP needs to confirm whether or not he has carried out an auto re-tune since installing his TV in Bromsgrove.

If he hasn't, then failure to receive most channels is a very understandable result.

Vin Blanc

In fact, the OP hasn't posted back at all. Perhaps he's not interested in what we have to say or suddenly doesn't need help.

TJT1. Are you ever inclined to sometimes stop and wonder, - "why do we bother"?

But what else could we do on a wet and windy Easter Monday?

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
The sun is shining here. Bit windy but no rain, and as we don't seem to have much else to talk about here, we might as well talk about the weather:laugh:.

Weather or not the OP comes back?

When he comes back, we can get back on topic.

Weather or not the OP comes back?
You slay me, you really do!

There was a time when I'd suggest talking about girls but it's so long ago that I can't remember anything! - end of conversation!

Vin Blanc

I am now firmly of the opinion that the OP’s failure to acknowledge all our attempts to provide an answer to his problem is mainly due to my Post No’s 2 and 10 which obviously caused him acute embarrassment when he realised what he probably should have done in the first place before asking for help! :)

Vin Blanc

I am now firmly of the opinion that the OP’s failure to acknowledge all our attempts to provide an answer to his problem is mainly due to my Post No’s 2 and 10 which obviously caused him acute embarrassment when he realised what he probably should have done in the first place before asking for help! :)

Vin Blanc
As the OP was last seen on the forum at the time of his question - unless he's been reading anonymously - he won't have seen any of the replies. Only 4 posts in total as well --- one 2011 and two in 2012.

I also looked at the tuned frequencies and Rowridge only matches to 'wrong mux' with The Wrekin iirc ... so I doubt the set would display ANY channels as the stored placeholder SID info would point to the wrong frequency. So I am fairly certain a retune would have been done to see anything.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom