Can't get 50Hz from original Momitsu V880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KraGorn, Jan 15, 2005.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On-going discussions about the Momitsu 880 prompted me to dig out my old V880 and see what it may be good for, in particular the ability to use 50Hz.

I flashed firmware version 1.1.2a which appears to be the last one for the original model (having checked the serial number). Sadly, while 50Hz options now appear in the DVI settings selecting them still yields 60Hz. :( Also, selecting 576p outputs 1440x576p but with only blue!

I know my projector, an H77, can handle 50Hz as it does so quite happily from the Pio 868, so it's obviously the V880 that isn't playing nice. Is there a trick needed, some 'secret' incantation (like the hidden menu) or does the firmware lie when it offers 50Hz?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One bump to rule them all .. just in case. ;)

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I can get 1080i@50 via dvi, but as you say, just a blue screen with 576p.
    I also get 720p@50 with massive overscan, which isn't much use. My machine is a DX model, I don't know if this makes any difference.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers. Maybe it's a limitation of early models. Pity, because the PQ is really very good and compares well to the 868.

BTW, is there a 'magic number' to activate some sort of custom resolution feature? I'm sure I've read about such a feature but the menus in the version I flashed only added the [alleged] 50Hz options.

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Press set-up, then go to video settings and highlight HD DVI OUT.
    Then press 9 7 1 3. This will take you to the custom resolution screen.
    Make sure there's no disc in the tray though!

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Aha! So I was right, it was a long time ago that I thought I'd read about that 'secret' setup screen (I know the one to make it region-free).

Thanks for that, could be what I'm looking for. :thumbup:

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sadly that custom setting page didn't help, I have no idea how one is supposed to figure out the numbers to plug in.

I'm hoping someone with a recent model can confimr 50hz works on these because my machine tells me it's outputting 50 by my projector is seeing 60. :(

8. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    check out www.avsforum.com
    They have a large thread dedicated to the Momitsu and other upscaling players.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the prod, I should have' thought about looking there .. didn't find an answer but a few useful ideas ... also read a lot about the V880N, looks an a very interesting machine to me, the ability to play ripped DVDs (albeit with some limitations) while not having to play HTPC-geek. :)

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    My V880N has arrived today (shipped on Saturday by speedpost so I wasn't expecting it this quickly!). I'll hopefully get it up and running tonight and post some impressions. I don't get my 54Mbps router until later this week so I'm not expecting dvds to play smoothly but music etc should be fine.

Cheers,
    Andy.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's from the Dutch distributors, right? How did you pay for it Andy, PayPal? I won't deal with PayPal and that Dutch site seems only to take it.

Interested in your comments. :)

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    No, that was from hivizone in hongkong! I already had a V880 ordered with them but changed the order to a V880N as I figured it wasn't much more and has some nice extra functionality. I'm just amazed it got here so quickly, I was expecting end of the week at best to be honest. I don't think it would have got here any quicker had I chosen the more expensive courier (UPS) shipping option!

Andy.

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah right, I've obviously confused you with someone else. :) The guy who I bought my V880 off got it from Hivizone originally I think.

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    That was probably me! Pretty sure I've had a V880 from hivizone before..

Cheers,
    Andy.

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nope, looking back in the class. ads. I bought it off 'cwick'. :)

And I paid HOW MUCH. :eek:

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Well had a play with the V880N tonight, the unit itself feels a lot better made than the original V880, quite a solid weighty feel to it. I'd already installed the media software on my pc upstairs and had the server running before I plugged the V880N in. It was still a nice surprise to see it come up on the TV showing my upstairspc available to select. It lists all the music ok and plays it ok, had one or 2 stutters, will have to keep an eye on that! Network DVD playback worked but it was a slideshow basically, completely unwatchable. I'm putting this down to the fact I've only got an 11Mbps router and wireless adaptor at the moment (54Mbps arriving this week). I'll see how it fares with the speed upgrade! I've had a few unable to connect to server error messages, sometimes when selecting an artist from the list of artists in my music directory on the PC. Overall I'd say the media centre aspect of it has been disappointing so far, it's a very good idea, I'm hoping it's just my network causing the problems, like I said I'll see if it's any better later this week. DVD playback is fantastic, I expected it to be good and it really is. 720p DVI to my Sanyo Z3 worked straightaway and looks every bit as good as my Pio 868 did to be honest. No loader problems, seems to be a lot better than the original V880 in that respect. As a dvd player it's worth every penny of the cost, if the media stuff works as well this will be very nice indeed! BUT (isn't there always a but) the remote is interfering with my Toshiba 36ZP48 TV, if I press down on the momitsu remote it changes channel on the tv, it's a pain in the arse and makes using it on the TV pretty much impossible. That reason alone might mean this ends up on the classified forum quite soon, I just can't believe how unlucky I am sometimes! I've had this problem a few times just lately and it's so infuriating! Anyway, I'll post an update later this week, hopefully better news on the media server aspects...

Cheers,
    Andy.

17. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the comments Andy, good to know DVD playback quality is good, I'm sure the network playback has to be the 'b' you have at present. Interesting too that the build quality is better, that was something sorely lacking in the original 880.

Do you still have the 868 so you can A/B or are you comparing from memory.

I've seen comments on AVS about the remote clashing with Tosh and Pioneer devices, my V880 gets turned on by my 868 from time to time. :laugh:

Can you get 50hz out of it, that's my big gripe with my 880 and what's making me pause going for one of these.

18. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Yeah I think 50hz was added in the last firmware update, over DVI and component. I don't have the 868 so I am going from memory but I'm not disappointed by the picture from the 880N at all and that's coming straight from the 868. It's a damn shame about the remote clashing cos I really can't see how I can live with it to be honest, we'll see, if it starts behaving itself functionality wise I might just learn to put up with it!

Cheers
    Andy

19. MrMouse

MrMouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After carefully deliberation and reading your mails, I've decided to go for the V880DX from Hivizone which will hopefully arrive sometime soon. It sounds like they have upgraded the remote but I don't know how old the information is on the website.

http://www.hivizone.com/local-shop/dvdplayer.htm

FYI for any others interested, momitsu.nl will have the DX in stock in about two weeks time....

I couldn't wait that long ;-)

cheers
    Brian

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Andy,

Very good to hear your comments on the PQ, pity 'bout the remote, is this the 'old' one or does the 'N' come with the new one?

Sorry to be a pain about 50Hz, but ... I know the machine is supposedly capable of it (I saw the firmware page on the Dutch site last night) but can you actually verify it works? My patched 880 says it's doing it but it's lying (my H77 reports 60hz), that's what I'm trying to ascertain about the 800N.

I sent an order to Holland but have yet to receive confirmation and payment instructions, so at preent I am not committed.

Brian,

What made you choose the DX, simply not needing networking or something else about the machine?

21. MrMouse

MrMouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's simply not a huge requirement at this stage. I'll wait until the technology has improved .... which won't take too long I suspect :)

22. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I was just checking to see if there was something about their specs which I should note. :)

23. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In case anyone reads this thread with the same problem I managed to finally get 50Hz out of the machine. :)

The presets do NOT work, nothing like, but using the Custom setup I was able to get perfect 50HZ. To do this I used Powerstrip on a PC and put the numbers from there via a freebie utility I discovered on AVS called cr4v880, written by an AVS member I believe. This converts the PStrip numbers to those needed by the V880, and although very fiddly to enter I finally got 50Hz.

The downside to this though is that changing from 50 to 60 when changing from PAL to NTSC is okay going back to 50 is a pain because you have to get back to the Custom menu :( .. thankfully the V880N looks to be a lot easier in this respect.

However, the main thing is that I have proved to myself the old V880 does do 50hz so it's reasonable to expect the new one can too. :smashin:

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    Sorry I haven't updated this thread much lately, basically I'm selling my V880N on as it's interfering with my Toshiba TV, it's a pain cos apart from that it's a very nice piece of kit. The new 54G wireless network has made the media playback far more responsive but dvds are still choppy, I think that has got a lot to do with the firmware though as I believe dvd playback was fine in the october firmware but the latest firmware seems to have broken it, I believe it's due to be fixed again in the next firmware release. To anyone thinking of getting one I can thoroughly recommend it, normal (i.e. inbuilt drive) dvd playback is fantastic!

Cheers,
    Andy.

25. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to hear you're not keeping it Andy, I spent some time this evening playing the R2 FOTR:EE via my old V880, my Pio 868 and my HTPC. The V880 was better than the PC and no worse than the 868.

Whether it'd stand up to the Pioneer with lesser quality material of course is another matter, the near reference-level transfer of the LOTR movies means the MPEG decoders don't have to try to deal with noise, grain and other film stock nasties. Also I suspect the V880 is purely a flag-driven decoder (I haven't checked the Sigma's spec) so badly-flagged DVDs may give it problems.

The scaling on the Momitsu is really amazingly clean.

26. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,057
    The PQ from the momitsu for the money is fantastic, it's just the fact the remote plays havoc with my Toshiba tv, I can't keep it for that reason alone. It's a real shame as it's a great dvd player but the tv is fantastic as well and I'd rather keep that than the 880N to be honest. HTPC here I come again...

Cheers,
    Andy.

27. MrMouse

MrMouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, after all that....good luck with the next player Andy.

Brian