• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can't get 5.1 audio with HT-R538, only 2.1

Flapjack92

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have a fat PS3 hooked up via HDMi v1.4a to my Onkyo HT-R538 receiver, which I got as part of the HT-S5305 package. I read a lot of the sticky about Onkyo and PS3s, and have it outputting Linear PCM at all supported frequencies up to 192kHz. I have the receiver on Multi-Channel with Speakers A on.
When I play a Tranformers 2, with HD audio, my PS3 says it's outputting 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, however there is no sound coming out of the front left and right speakers, only the centre speaker and subwoofer. When I enable Speakers B, switching off the surround and centre speakers, the front ones work, so 2.1. Both the front and surround channels are distinct - I am completely stumped. I've tried to reset it many times, as well as using cables that I know work.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make sure I included everything. Any help would be great! :)

Thanks in advance! :smashin:

Last edited:

StevieBuck

Sounds like you've connected the front left/right speakers to the 'Front Speakers B' terminals. You should have them connected to the 'Front Speakers A' terminals.

The B terminals are for connecting a second set of stereo speakers - so if you want, you can pump stereo audio into another room.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom