Can't get 3D on my Sony VW90 when using the Yamaha rx-v475

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cirerita, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cirerita

cirerita
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm currently using an Asus UX31e laptop with an integrated Intel HD 3000 card via HDMI. According to Intel, the HD 3000 series is 3D compatible.

The laptop is hooked up to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR is hooked up to the projector via HDMI, too. Blu-Rays and 1080p files play just fine. Both audio and video are awesome.

3D files are an issue, though. I've tried a few mkv 3d files as follows:

1) I can't get 3D to work on the projector when using TotalMedia Theatre (6.5) and PowerDVD (13) if the laptop is hooked up to the AVR, and the AVR to the projector. The projector is set to automatically detect the 3D mode, which is never triggered this way. I can tell the projector to simulate the 3D signal, but it all looks scrambled to me.

In the display settings, I can see that the laptop is disabled and the AVR is the main screen at 1080p @ 60. I read somewhere that sometime it's good to use a 1080p @ 24 resolution to trigger the 3D mode, but I can't get that resolution on my laptop when using the AVR.

2) If I hook up the laptop directly to the projector, I can't get the 3D mode to work using TTM, but it does work if I use PWDVD. TTM does not allow you to automatically set the 3D visualization mode, while that option is available in PWDVD.

So if I use PWDVD and I don't change any setting in the projector--3D mode is set to automatic--I do get the 3D mode to work fine. Problem is, I can't get high definition audio this way as I have to use the laptop's headphone output to send the stereo signal to the AVR.

When hooking up the laptop directly to the projector, the default resolution is 1080p @ 59. In this case, 1080p @ 24 is indeed available, but 1080p @ 59 seems to be good enough to trigger the 3D mode.

So, would it be possible to get the 3D mode to work on my projector using both the laptop and the AVR?

All the cables I'm using are high speed HDMI cables.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. cirerita

cirerita
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solved!

I just needed to set the projector as the primary display. Until now, the AVR acted as primary display, but switching to the projector does the trick. So now I can watch 3D movies--with HD audio--using a single HDMI cable from the laptop to the AVR and then sending the HDMI signal to the projector with another cable. Pretty cool!

Now I have to figure out a way to reduce the ghosting effect!