• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

can't get 16:9 aspect ratio on my 22" LCD + Freeview box

deepbeep

Hoping for some help here as I'm stumped.

My sister's kindly given me her old 22" LCD, which I've put in the bedroom, along with a cheap freeview box.

The LCD is quite old, a Samsung one, from prior to all the HD hype, although I think it's pretty decent and it has a native resolution of 1280x720 (don't see many screens around now that can do 720p natively hopefully that'll be an advantage with picture quality if/when I connect to sources that output at 720p).

The freeview box is just a cheap Asda branded one that the missus picked up at Asda today. Connects to the TV by Scart.

Picture and sound quality is pretty good so I should be chuffed, but I can't seem to get the TV to display in widescreen properly.

I set the output on the freeview box to 16:9 and the display setting on the TV to Widescreen, but it's not right. The picture is zoomed in so I lose the edges, Channel logos are too near the top of the screen, the scores at the top are chopped off in football.

I've tried other settings, but can't get it to work. If I set both the box on and the TV at 4:3 that works as you'd expect it to, with the black vertical borders at each side. Any widescreen programes are shown as a letterbox within the 4:3 image at the centre.

I don't know why I can't get them to work together and show 16:9 ratio properly. Really grateful for any suggestions or explanations.

If it helps, the TV is Samsung LW22A13W, manual here: Samsung LW22A13W Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - TVs

Freeview STB is this one: Asda Twin Scart Set Top Freeview Box | Digital Receivers & Hard Drive Recorders | ASDA direct

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom