Can't fransfer footage to computer

timmlv

Novice Member
I have just bought a Canon XF405 camcorder. It films fine, but I can't transfer the clips to computer. I connect the camera to the computer with the USB lead which came with my previous camcorder a Canon HFG25 but the camera does not appear in the computer and the camera screen does not show "Export" as it should. What is wrong?

stearman65

I assume you've read the manual & your system is PAL? I've attached the manual, I haven't time to read it at present. It shouldn't be much different for SECAM systems to do what you want. Come back if you haven't sorted it.

Attachments

• xf400-405-im6-p-en.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 31

timmlv

Novice Member
Thanks for the link. On page 117 it talks about video output. I assumed that was video stream for a monitor or recorder, not files for storage? Am I wrong and it is the HDMI or SDI output which connects to the computer for transfer of clips?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Not quite sure what SECAM would have to do with anything, as that was an analogue broadcast standard and nothing to do with film making or digital video...

You would normally just pop the SD card out and put it into a card reader with these cameras. The USB would normally be for control and updating the camera rather than reading the file out.

If you don't have an SD slot on your PC, the card readers are not expensive.

stearman65

Not quite sure what SECAM would have to do with anything, as that was an analogue broadcast standard and nothing to do with film making or digital video...

You would normally just pop the SD card out and put it into a card reader with these cameras. The USB would normally be for control and updating the camera rather than reading the file out.

If you don't have an SD slot on your PC, the card readers are not expensive.
The manuals on the Canon web site had a secam & pal version? I downloaded the Pal version.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If you download the Canon XF app you should be able to use either USB or the Ethernet socket to download, but an SD card reader will usually be significantly quicker.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom