Can't find TV channels?

Thlian

Novice Member
A family member is in hospital long term and since the TV in the room was an old Grundig tv without a remote. I decided to use hvis own tv, I'm not sure which modem it is. But its newer than 2019. The old Grundig had no problem findung the channels. But not so easy with with the samsung. Since it is a screw terminal on the coax terminal on the TV. I brought the coax cable from his own cable box. But in the hospital I'm not sure what system they use. It's anyway a cable outlet from the wall.

I tried a numerous search types on the TV, digital and analog. Broadcasting network, antenna and so on. Manual search is i possible since I don't know what settings to use. I have a suspicion the signals are digital since the old tv showed tv channel info, not tv guide but what channel it is on screen.

Hopeless, had to set the old tv back and went with unfinished business. With a cancer sick member that can not get out of bed on his own 😞
So is there difference in types of coax, one with digital box and one with a outlet that reminds of the old cable outlets before the boxes came. In my head coax are coax.

Please help 😊

cuke2u

We would really need to know what model it is. I assume you're also in Norway as there can be regional differences.
However, as it was in a hospital then they might have a different way of supplying a signal than just an aerial connection.

However I'm surprised that any hospital would let you plug in any electrical item such as a tv without it being checked over first..

Last edited:

logiciel

You need to find out whether you're allowed to do it and then to find out what system - terrestrial, cable, satellite - they use.

Thlian

Novice Member
You need to find out whether you're allowed to do it and then to find out what system - terrestrial, cable, satellite - they use.
Do not need to ask for permission. Anyway, I just wonder how it can be more complicated on this than a set that's 10 years older. I've tried cable analog and digital, as well as satelite. Though I would have to have my own tuner for that.

The old one just searched and found, simple as that. What I don't understand is why the terminal are threaded. I've never seen that on other than coax cable going into a tuner. So I think there are a built in hybrid tuner for both cable and satelite. But only one provider are optional. The other is other, but the search criterias narrows down when choosing "other".

cuke2u

How do you know the set that's 10 years older is just is discovering the channels by searching?
I can tell you now that no NHS hospital would let a patient's relative bring in a tv and just connect it up to their mains supply and their systems.

Thlian

Novice Member
How do you know the set that's 10 years older is just is discovering the channels by searching?
I can tell you now that no NHS hospital would let a patient's relative bring in a tv and just connect it up to their mains supply and their systems.
I do not know what a NHS hospital are. But I might have been to general, it's actually a nursing home. Do not ask what a 60 year old with brain cancer do at a nursing home for eldres. Then I have to explain a LOT! But yes, just ask the nurse and the answer is yes. All the TV's in the post are there thanks to relatives that donates equipment when family members pass.

I know because I searched, and the TV is not actually hospital property. I can give one example; a nursing home for patients with dementia has more or less their own apartments. And the county owns nothing, absolutely nothing of the inventory except from the bed. All appliances are each patients own property.

Again, I can't see the issue here. Why wouldn't they allow? We have to say at least, insane strict rules when it comes to electrical installations. It works pro-active to protect a household or institution in case of malfunction of equipment. Compared to what I see from reality home building shows from the US, I am sometimes shocked when I see the electrical installations. It looks like something we did 30-40 years ago.

So no, we have a free health system, but that doesn't mean that they pay for the luxury of installing a TV. So they accept that patients use their own, it's called compromise. It has gotten better over the years in new builds. But there are so so many old hospitals and nursing holmes that are negleted and don't get any money for keeping up with time. Not even a fresh layer of new paint.

So no, we are going to get that TV to work!

logiciel

That makes all the difference.
Samsungs usually have one push-in connection for terrestrial and two screw-in for anything else.

Thlian

Novice Member
That's the problem. The are no push in, not that I can see, they usually sticks out, and only one screw in.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikej

Specs on Samsung's own page list the 49MU6400 as having...

• RF In (Terrestrial / Cable input / Satellite input)
  • 1 / 1 (Common Use for Terrestrial) / 0
...which backs up your suggestion that it uses a single input for both terrestrial and cable.

You can clearly see two separate coax inputs for a terrestrial aerial connection (push-fit) and satellite (screw-fit) input on the 49MU6400 in this video - this would be normal here in the UK but I guess there must be differences between models intended for different regions/countries.

The Samsung site lists it as having analogue, digital and cable tuners so if you've tried tuning all three without success then I can't see what else you can do ?

The analogue tuner is listed as 'Yes - Trinorma' which might imply there is more than one type in your country. Could that be a clue ?

logiciel

Confirming mikej it should have one push-in socket and one screw-in. Please check.

mikej

I noticed the specific model number for the MU6400 in the Samsung link I posted above had a 'UN' prefix, so had a quick look on the Display Specifications site and it looks like it was the UE49MU6400 that was available in the UK and that had the two coax inputs (as seen in the YouTube video).

From his description, presumably the OP (in Norway) has the UN49MU6400 that is only listed as having the one cable/antenna combination F-type (screw) input.

cuke2u

As below, tuner spec:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-133206_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-133206_Chrome.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 13

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom