1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't find "my" spec...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by swanners, Sep 29, 2004.

1. swanners

swanners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have no home cinema kit whatsoever, just a naff mono TV & VCR(terrestrial channels only). But I do have a half decent stereo, so what I'm looking for is:

A DVD recorder that gives the following:
    1. The ability to watch live TV or recordings in stereo
    2. Compatibility with MP3, Jpeg, (strong likes) and also DivX (nice to have).
    3. Budget circa £200-£300.

And that's about it. Obviously picture quality and connectivity are not major issues right now, but it'd be sensible to future-proof myself a bit for possible future upgrades (maybe nicer TV, freeview box,..?).
    Even recording is only a fairly minor concern to me (I do so little of it), but I am assuming that what a recorder gives me that a player doesn't is the ability to receive live broadcasts in stereo - not to mention I could also throw away the VCR.
    I am very willing to be corrected on this last point, because were it not for that, it seems to me that players around £100 fit the rest of my spec, and no recorder sub-£300 that I have found does.

Any advice?
    Cheers,
    Phil

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    As long as you have a stereo TV that supports NICAM (which almost all of them do) then it doesn't matter what recorder you have, you'll be able to receive live TV in stereo.

If you want to use your hi-fi for the sound you'll need something that has stereo outputs in addition to its video output. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a recorder that DOESN'T have stereo output, even on a cheapo one. I'm surprised your VCR doesn't have it - it must be very old!

I assume from your question that you currently have no way of connecting a TV broadcast's audio output to your hi-fi. If this is the case then you're correct, a play-only DVD won't help you because it has no input and thus no output for TV broadcasts.

I'd suggest you go for one of the cheapo DVD recorders. Almost all of them will support MP3 and JPEG and many will also support DivX. Double-check the box though just to be sure and double-check that it has separate stereo outs. As I mentioned, I doubt you'll find one without them but you have nothing to lose by checking!

Regards

Nelviticus

3. swanners

swanners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response Nelveticus. :thumbsup:

This is exactly my problem - a mono TV - so it's whether to buy a new TV *and* DVD-player and still not be rid of the VCR, or kill all birds with 1 stone by getting the appropriate DVD-recorder.

It *is* old. And cheap and nasty at the time too.

Exactly. I do not have anything that decodes Nicam.

Are you sure? I haven't come across anything sub-£300 that ticks all those boxes (and I haven't been looking any higher). Can you name one?

Regards
    Phil

4. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Well I already have a hard disc DVD recorder so I don't know much about the details of the sub-£300 market, but I found this on Comet's web site:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/130_181803.html

It does MP3 and JPEG playback and costs £230. It doesn't specify whether it has stereo outputs but it has two Scart sockets, so you could connect one to your TV and have a Scart to Phono cable running from the other socket to your hi-fi.

One of the cheaper models might also do the job - it's worth having a look at whatever Woolworths is selling at the moment, you might be surprised. Also if you have a Richer Sounds near you they're worth a look.

Regards

Nelviticus