Can't find a DAB AV receiver - is DAB on its way out?

anorakus

Standard Member
Pretty much as per the title.. when I was last looking at AV receivers a few years ago, I saw that a few manufacturers, e.g. Yamaha, had models with a DAB tuner, although these tended to be at the cheaper end of the range.

Well I've been thinking about going HD and was doing a bit of window-shopping on Superfi today, and I can't find any AV receivers that support DAB - all AM/FM with RDS, just like my 2001-vintage Yamaha.

I'm not that fussed as I think FM sounds better anyway, but I'm a bit surprised, what with all the the hype over DAB and rumours of the FM signal being switched off in line with analogue TV. I assume if new kit is being sold with analogue tuners, then FM must have a few years left at least - or is DAB looking iffy in the long-term?

A.

Yes you are correct, you are a bit of an anorak.

TBH DAB has never really taken off and as you say FM sounds better although I use DAB for radio.

harry_houdini

Hello mate,
I was much in the same boat as you this time last year, however the Denon 4308 had everything you could ask for plus DAB which I'm a big fan of... however I opted for the 3808 which didn't have DAB but internet radio (via ethernet) which I've found very useful and surprisingly versatile as most DAB stations I listened to, I could find online. :thumbsup:

Maybe that could be something you could look into as an alternative?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
DAB has been phased out (some countries), or is being phased out (most others, I don't know the current UK status as it keeps changing), in favour of DAB+, which is not forwards-compatible.

Similarly, FM broadcasting is being / will be phased out; the UK switchoff is apparently planned for "between 2017 and 2022". This has received significant press cover and provoked substantial indignation. And a lot of people just stick their head in the sand, as usual.

You would be advised to ensure that any tuner purchase is for DAB+, not DAB.

Last edited:

rockstar6662

I'm with you on this. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V100D DAB receiver and love having that facility. Ok, it's by no means sonically stunning but isn't too bad but I'm probably going to upgrade soon as it doesn't have HDMI or support for the newer audio formats so I'm not getting the best out of my other equipment and I'll really miss the DAB function.

People say FM is better but most of the stations I listen to are DAB only (BBC7, 6Music, Planet Rock for example). I can get them via my Virgin cable box but the quality isn't anywhere near as good.

Just seems silly that I'll have to buy a receiver with FM/AM and then a seperate tuner with that again if I want DAB. Pure AV amps (rather than receivers) seem rather out of my price range. Surely the cost of adding it would be minimial these days?

So guess I'll have to lose it when/if I upgrade and I'll actually be quite sad about that.

Nick 81

NAD have a DAB option on their recievers. It is not standard, but an off-board module that plugs into a dedicated socket. BUT, NAD recievers tend to be pricey for the spec, and then an additional £100 or so for the module.

I have not bothered with the module for my T747, I only listen to DAB in the car; its the only way to get rock music on radio, given that the BBC does not like such music anymore :confused:. Sorry, rant over!

samsaidi

Standard Member
NAD have a DAB option on their recievers. It is not standard, but an off-board module that plugs into a dedicated socket. BUT, NAD recievers tend to be pricey for the spec, and then an additional £100 or so for the module.

I have not bothered with the module for my T747, I only listen to DAB in the car; its the only way to get rock music on radio, given that the BBC does not like such music anymore :confused:. Sorry, rant over!

Onkyo have a similar add-on. I have a Yamaha RXN600 (UK version) which is great and supports DAB and both internet radio. It's 5 years old and I would have expected more AV receivers to be available but I can't find any as standard. Bizarre

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Onkyo have a similar add-on. I have a Yamaha RXN600 (UK version) which is great and supports DAB and both internet radio. It's 5 years old and I would have expected more AV receivers to be available but I can't find any as standard. Bizarre

Welcome to the forums mate :thumbsup:

I don't think it's bizarre at all really.

I've only ever seen one DAB radio in use and the owner moaned like mad about it being rubbish :D

I just think the interest isn't there for an inferior format that costs a fortune for what it is.

Although I'd accept it could be integrated into amps probably quite cheaply.

In which case, it would suggest even the manufacturers think it's a waste of time, particularly when you think globally.

gbjbaanb

Its probably not as cheap as you think - FM is a cheap bit of circuitry, whereas DAB is a (licensed, obviously) chip with all the associated power, heat and integration issues. I like DAB but even I think internet radio is a better option.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Its probably not as cheap as you think - FM is a cheap bit of circuitry, whereas DAB is a (licensed, obviously) chip with all the associated power, heat and integration issues. I like DAB but even I think internet radio is a better option.

You could be right.
My way of thinking was that if Onkyo can integrate the Faroudja/DCD (sp) chip into their low end amps, DAB shouldn't be much of a problem.
But it goes back to that global thing, I guess.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It's amazing how we in the UK don't get the satalite radio features included with the majority of receivers sold elsewhere in the world, but pay more for the same units with an alternative analogue receiver shoved in them as an afterthought :mad:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It's amazing how we in the UK don't get the satalite radio features included with the majority of receivers sold elsewhere in the world, but pay more for the same units with an alternative analogue receiver shoved in them as an afterthought :mad:

Yes, but we're known for our liking of analogue aren't we?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, but we're known for our liking of analogue aren't we?

Yes, apparently UK analogue is superior to rest of the world digital. Just like Wimpy hamburgers were always better than McDonalds but look what they did to the vast Wimpy empire in order to force us into eating sub standard junk food :mad:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yes, apparently UK analogue is superior to rest of the world digital. Just like Wimpy hamburgers were always better than McDonalds but look what they did to the vast Wimpy empire in order to force us into eating sub standard junk food :mad:

I prefer BK myself :)

But I know what you're saying :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom