1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't EQ rears - WHY?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Garfield, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some ideas here getting real frustrated ... think an amp upgrade is a necessity maybe.

I have been trying all afternoon to get the levels sorted front to rear and my amp is doing something unexpected that I haven't noticed in the 4 years I have owned it.

I can get the fronts balance using pink noise no problem across all three fronts (mains and centre) but then try to increase volume to get the rears to the level of the fronts and reduce the db level of the front three in order balance and the rears go quieter with the mains AAAAAARGH help ! :lease: ! if I knock 20db off the fronts the rears stop working altogether!!.

What am I doing wrong here - got them balanced OK with the Bose at the front and Eltax HT-2 bipolar rears.

I have a pair of Acoustic engergy Aesprit AE309's and a 307 centre at the front, I have two AE300's at the rear (NOT compacts) sitting on Alphason AG-60C filled stands. The amp is a Yamaha DSP-A5.

Is this me / the amp / both .... do any amps let you set the rear levels seperately i.e. THX certified systems.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I thought all amps allowed seperate adjustment of the rears without affecting the fronts. All the amps I've had have been like that so I wonder if it's a set-up issue rather than a fault maybe.

Gary.

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gary - I managed to figure it in the end.

It is so long since I last did this that I was in one of those 'I know how to do this' modes when I really didn't.

Got the manual out and have now sorted.

There are two places where levels can be adjusted - in the test mode and in the operational mode - I was changing the operational mode. When in test mode I was able to change the levels of each individually.

4. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Garfield…I know how you feel about this…
    Read down the short list of the pros and cons…

Changing the levels is not going to help a whole believe…it’s the frequency that needs correcting and EQing is the only viable option…there is not many ways around this…Garfield my home cinema set-up did cost a whole lot being put together over a few years but sure hells blows my friends out of the water…which they like so f you want to Email me I can give some easy steps to this…and later when you got the resulting sound that sounds like a THX cinema that you have been to that’s if you have been to one they are fantastic… :smashin:

So EQing the rears is no problem first lets clear a few issues the AVR that your using sounds like it isn’t THX which is what I am running the Kenwood KRF-X9050D Dolby digital 5.1 dts 5.1 THX select… :) :thumbsup:

And though it has re-equalizer for the fronts left centre and right and cuts the edge of the top due to the fact films are mixed for large cinemas ISO 2969 X-curve…this feature does work… :thumbsup:

Also the stereo surrounds go though a process called timber matching so when sounds pan from the fronts to the left / right or both at the same time there is smoothness to it… :smashin:

Also there is what’s called decorrelation which works on Dolby pro-logic and takes the single mono surround and splits it into two signals creating a more open sound field that envelopes the viewer and helping to involve you more into the action… :smashin:

Also there is another process adapted decorrelation that works on Dolby digital and dts…which usually have stereo surrounds and the adapted decorrelation circuitry only works when there is a mono sound detected on the stereo surround mix… :thumbsup:

This works very well…now for the EQing of the surrounds there is what’s called pre-outputs on mostly all AVR today if you where to use the stereo pre-outputs and another stereo amplifier just re-plug it its that simple and that is the same approach I have done with my home cinema I don’t use the on board amplifiers due to the fact I have to do room EQing as well… :thumbsup:

Also the sub bass managerment that is set to 80Hz if uou have small speakers that are not up to handling the dynamics to well use the THX set to small... :thumbsup:

Also THX bass manager this helps the sub bass from overloading and courseing damage it's kind of like an audio limiter and it's very usefull...and with mine set to -10dB at the present time and I play films at 0dB ref on the Kenwood KRF-X9050D... :thumbsup:

Going back to home THX it’s a wonderful piece of hardware…but it’s not an encoding or decoding like Dolby dts or SDDS 8 it’s merely a set of technical specifications that have been laid down by Lucasfilm THX which is now privatised and is called THX its still uses the same high quality of guide lines that where laid down 22 years ago and Return of the Jedi was the first film to be shown in just two THX sound system theatres back in May of 1983 exclusive 70mm six-track Dolby stereo engagements in the two THX theatres… :smashin:

So if you are thinking about buying an AVR there are two that I have seen in this months Home cinema magazine a Pioneer which sales for £1000.00 and a Marantz for £700.00…both have Dolby digital surround-EX and dts-ES and THX select… :smashin:

They also have a microphone input and when used by setting the microphone at the listening position and this will calibrate set the distance frequency balance for optimum performance… :smashin:

Plus ample power from both…personally I would go for the Marantz which is just a little bit more affordable… :)

But if money is no object…then go for the Pioneer not sure of the model numbers as I don’t buy any more home cinema magazines…

Good luck Garfield… :thumbsup:

Ashley…

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    JBL....Once again you havent read the posts....Garfield clearly said he was having problems with the levels of the speakers,and nothing to do with the frequency response.

In his second post he also clearly stated that he had found the solution to the problem,in using the correct mode to adjust the levels separately.

He has also stated which amp he has(a Yamaha DSP-A5),and has not indicated any intention to change it in his posts.

Whilst we are sure you are trying to offer advice,please do so sensibly,and also by taking into account the actual problem,and the fact that the solution may be much simpler than you think.

6. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries alexs2 I like to try and drop in a few other alternatives…there is also ways possibilities….

And I do find it difficult to communicate with people but I will try mate to over come this thank you for pointing this out to me…

Ashley…. :)

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ashley...please try and understand that it's not so much a matter of alternatives as missing the point in the first place.

Please read the posts first before replying to them on another topic altogether.

8. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do alexs2…
    Cheers....

Ashley…

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    Ok, well please practise somewhere else.