Can't enable Dolby Vision on AppleTV 4K when connected to Onkyo TX-RZ3100

247jamz

Novice Member
I have an Onkyo TZ-RX3100 receiver that I got a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure it does Dolby Vision, though I don't see a specific reference to that in the manual. I just got a new Sony AH8 TV and I have a AppleTV 4k connected to the Onkyo and then into the TV. The problem is I'm unable to enable Dolby Vision in that config, but it will work when the AppleTV is going through directly into the TV. I've tried swapping the cables with known good high quality Monoprice cables, that has no effect. The current cables are the Belkin cables that Apple was selling on the store when I setup this system, so I assume they can handle Dolby Vision. This receiver was first released in 2016,

The manual does not specifically say anything about Dolby Vision, but on the data sheet of this receiver it says "HDMI Supports 4K/60 Hz, BT.2020, HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision) Pass-through, 4:4:4 Color Space, and HDCP 2.2-protected Video"

Thanks!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The TX-RZ3100 feature list indicates that it is has "HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision™*1) Pass-through".
The important *1 footnote to that feature states "*1 Service enabled via firmware update."

The firmware notes for the enabling update indicate:
  • Adds support for pass-through function of Dolby Vision signal.
    *When set up "HDMI Out" to "MAIN+SUB", the Dolby Vision video is available from only HDMI OUT MAIN terminal.
    This particular firmware update is only available via USB installation.
I suggest a visit to Firmware Updates TX-RZ3100, where you'll find the firmware and the "how to install". If you're unhappy with this, your dealer will be able to install the latest firmware for you.

247jamz

Novice Member
The TX-RZ3100 feature list indicates that it is has "HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision™*1) Pass-through".
The important *1 footnote to that feature states "*1 Service enabled via firmware update."

The firmware notes for the enabling update indicate:
  • Adds support for pass-through function of Dolby Vision signal.
    *When set up "HDMI Out" to "MAIN+SUB", the Dolby Vision video is available from only HDMI OUT MAIN terminal.
    This particular firmware update is only available via USB installation.
I suggest a visit to Firmware Updates TX-RZ3100, where you'll find the firmware and the "how to install". If you're unhappy with this, your dealer will be able to install the latest firmware for you.
Thanks very much for your reply. I did update the FW yesterday to whatever was available through the Onkyo itself via the internet, but it did not fix the issue. I'll have to see what version it is, and if I have "MAIN+SUB" enabled.

I also heard back from Onkyo tech support, they said:

"May I ask if you have the setting 4K Enhanced active or is the Reciever set to 4K Standard? To adjust this setting, press and hold the BD button on the front panel of the Receiver. While BD is held down tap the On/Standby button until the Receiver staes 4K Enh/4k Enhanced."

Interesting way to set a preference that seems like it should be easier to find. I'll check out both these options as soon as I can get away from my desk...

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I would recommend not setting MAIN + SUB, it messes up the bass. Since setting it merely restricts the Dolby Vision to the main HDMI out, you would also gain nothing in compensation.

As per Onkyo, if you don't set the HDMI to full HDMI 2.0 ("advanced"), you won't get it. Normally you can set this option in a menu, but since setting it can break communication with older devices, there needs to be a way of cancelling it "blind".

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom