Can't eject DVD from Pan E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peck2000, May 4, 2005.

1. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

Another problem has reared its head on my Panasonic E85.

Last night I was trying to dub a movie in High Speed. At 97% the dub failed (probably dodgy DVD disk) but now I can't eject the incompletely dubbed DVD. I've tried doing what it says in the manual (pressing "Stop" and "Channel ^" simultaneously for five seconds) but that doesn't work. The display just shows the work "LOCK" after the five seconds. The disk is unrecognised, so I can't get to the Disk Management option to try reformatting or even unlocking.

There doesn't seem to be a manual eject pinhole, as there is on my Mac computer. I've tried unplugging the unit and letting it "rest".

I'm out of ideas and was hoping someone might be able to suggest something.

Kind regards,

Alan (peck2000)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Hold the standby button for at least 15 secs and then try the eject.

3. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similar thing happened to me a while back. Seemingly the child lock had been activated. So I put machine in standby, pressed ENTER + RETURN (on remote) to get rid of that then STOP + CHANNEL ^ (on machine) and out came the tray. Can't remember if display showed LOCK or HOLD, though.

Worth a try anyway!

4. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it a try. Do I let go the Standby button before I press the Eject? Wouldn't this shut the machine down?

peck2000

5. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    H'mm - I tried the Child Lock thing. But with the Child Lock on or off, the DVD still wouldn't eject. I'll give it another try when I go home tonight.

Thanks,

peck2000

6. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, none of the above advice has worked. The display still shows "LOCK" no matter what combination of buttons I press.

Someone suggested that I try taking the case off and ejecting the carriage manually, which I wasn't able to do. But I did take the faulty DVD disk out. When I placed a prerecorded disk in the drive, it was able to play just fine, which means the actual DVD drive is working okay ...

I was wondering ... what if I set the machine back to the Factory Defaults? Does anyone think that might clear this mysterious "LOCK" setting that is preventing me ejecting a DVD disk?

peck2000

7. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duh! I've just figured it out - purely by dumb luck ...

The unit was "LOCK"ed, right.

OK to unlock a Pan e85, you press Standby (o/l) and Stop on the front of the unit simultaneously. The "Eject" button is re-enabled. Big party! That's it.

Remember in case anyone else asks :clap:

peck2000

8. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting Peck. Glad you got it sorted out. Will make a note of it.