1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't demo ! So which one ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lil in Spain, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Lil in Spain

Lil in Spain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hello to all from a newbie !!

I've decided to take the plunge into the land of large images, the only thing is that its impossible to demo where we live. I've decided to go the lcd route as I have blue eyes and seeing as i can't demo, don't want to risk seeing rainbows, also a little ambient light will be present.

I can order either the Z3 or the AE700 of the net from Barcelona ( 1200 quid each ). From what I gather they are both good pj's, especially for my first. My living room is 4.5mtrs x 4mtrs and the pj would be on a shelf on the back wall projecting to a screen 4 mtrs away. I will be feeding it a 12mtr S-vid from sky+ and will be buying a HD DVD player (can't decide which yet). I know the 700 is more versatile positiong wise, but also the dust blowing thingie on the Z3 sounds very practical (its quite dusty, and a lack of local technicians).

I'm :censored: confused as which to buy, which would you ??

PS the HS50 is 1900pounds :( so thats out of the question for a first pj, altho they are quoting 1 week delivery !!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Hard to say, from postings here and elsewhere they're both obviously good LCDs with some vices .. you may find this ProjectorCenrtral article comparing these two machines helpful in coming to a decision. :)

I was under the impression the Z3 was more flexible in positioning, having both vertical and horizontal lens shift, whereas I thought the 700 only has vertical shift. Could be wrong though.

3. Lil in Spain

Lil in Spain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i said 'positioning wise' i mean to place it on the shelf would be better suited as its throw is longer than the z3. Also I have read the article at PC and they favour the Panny, but as I've read here before, should I take their word for it ? I thought a few owners could advise me.

cheers for the reply.

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Sounds like a challange, to sound the bell and then for the Z3 and AE700 owners to come out of their prospective corners fighting lol :laugh:

I have the AE700, it does both vertical and horizontal lens shift... the less you can get away with though the better. This would be true of all machines supporting lens shift.

As to which is better, it not for me to say as I have never seen the Z3 in operation. I can say however that the picture quality from the AE700 is most enjoyable to my eyes. Its my first projector.

I did go through a phase round about the 40 - 80 hour mark where I was always actively looking for and tweaking the VB issue. Now I seem to have this stabalised and just prefer to watch the movie as it is. VB is still there to a very very small degree and you really do have to be looking around for it, but it is so small that in normal viewing it does not distrcat from what is an otherwise superb picture.

Got a couple of filters on order to play around with also, so will be able to give my views here when they arrive. Part of the fun of all of this ( apart from the gob smacking film viewing ) is the tweaking and research.

I feed the projector with a 5m RGB scart from SKY, and a 5m component from a Pioneer 575a. Both cables are ProfiGold. Great pictures from both.

As they say there is nothing better than getting a demo, however if you cannot then I hope you get some other views from both AE700 and Z3 owners.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    And that they're brutally frank and honest. :D

6. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Well we do our best to be impartial, hpwever after forking out so much cash on our own units we're bound to be a little biased, if only to justify the expense to ourselves. lol :laugh:

KH

7. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I spent a long time trying to decide between these two projectors, and ended up buying the Panny 700. The reason for me was that its zoom lens meant I could get the image I wanted (106") from 4.5 meters, the Z3 couldnt do it.

For me it was the difference between having the z3 mounted upside down from the middle of my ceiling, or having the 700 mounted on a shelf (high up) on my back wall. I went with the later, and lens shift it down.

It is a great Projector, and I had to buy without a demo too, but I am happy to say that I am impressed more and more.

The z3 sounded very good on paper, and I was "that" close to buying one, when I realised the asthetic benefits the ae700 would bring to my room.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mark

8. Lil in Spain

Lil in Spain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the 700 :clap: I will have this baby up and running in about 7 days :thumbsup: All I need now is an apropriate HDMI player :confused:

Thanks for your help.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HDMI isn't a requirement for a player, players with DVI only should be fine since that's all HTPCs are at present.

10. Lil in Spain

Lil in Spain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand that DVI equipped players will do aswell, but what do you mean by 'thats all HTPCs are at present ? Plz excuse my ignorance as I'm fairly new to all this.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to confuse :)

I wasn't sure if you were under the mistaken impression that a projector with an HDMI connector could ONLY be connected to a player also having HDMI, thereby limiting your immediate choice.

I was simply saying that anyone use a PC as a media player only has the option of DVI for a digital connection since at present there are no graphics cards with an HDMI output .. and PCs work fine with HDMI-equipped displays and projectors.

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Has anyone yet seen a Z3 and AE700 and TX100 side-to-side and properley calibrated?? Of what I've seen of the Z3 and TX100 there is very little difference in picture, but haven't got them both next to each other nor even seen a AE700 for specific comparisons. Looks like the same as with the Z2 and AE500, go for whichever has the plugs and lens that suit you best cos you will be hard pushed to go for one over the other on PQ!!!