• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Can't decide which tv to get

dp4

Established Member
Wanting to pick up a new tv over the next couple of days as my current one has broke.

I'm not a home cinema enthusiast or anything so it does not have to be perfect although I do like a good picture so have decided to get a 4k tv.

Would mainly be using it for tv, netflix, streaming content from my nas or memory stick, the occasional football stream on kodi and ps4 gaming. Not too bothered about 3d but would be a nice bonus if it did have it.

Budget is about £900 but could stretch a bit further for the right bargain.

Looking online myself I've narrowed it down to either an LG 55UF860V or a sony KD55X8509C. I had been swinging towards the sony as it has android built in and was hoping I'd be able to install kodi directly to it and get rid of my fire stick.

Both of these appear to be £899 and I can get a 6 year warranty from richer sounds.

I'd consider any make except a samsung as my current samsung 51" plasma has a faulty screen after only 23 months of having it and I did not take any extra warranty out on it and I've been fobbed off by both samsung and the retailer I bought it from so I will not buy another samsung.

Are those 2 tv's I have suggested any good or are there better ones to be had for the price.

Cheers

BM08

Prominent Member
Hi there, just had a look on RS website at both tv's, they both look great but after a few seconds of research it appears the Android OS on the Sony is not great, infact the very first review on the RS website says, and i quote.....

''Sadly the android system is awful.
The TV is often unresponsive to the control.
The TV Guide is very slow/laggy, around a 2 second delay from button press to action performed.
The TV often crashes (around 15 times since I purchased it) the force reset had to be used 13 times, twice the plug had to be removed in order to get the TV to reset into a usable state.
Playing .mp4’s is a hit and miss game, they sometimes work and others do not - seems to be almost random (obviously not but the trigger is beyond my understanding).
I have none of these issues with my LG or Samsung TV playing the same files over the network''.

For those reasons i wouldnt get the Sony if it were me.

I cant see any problems with the LG model your looking at, and im actually a fan of LG seeing as we bought our 42'' LG smart tv from RS about 2 years ago, in that time its been spot on, not a single issue and still going strong, SO SO easy to use aswell, even the misses can use it! Actually with that particular model your looking at, it comes with the magic remote which is like using a wii remote, just point it at the screen and move your hand to control the onscreen cursor, its a must for a smart tv. Ever tried typing on youtube etc with a normal remote? very frustrating to say the least!.
Go to a store and check it out in person, but im pretty sure you'd be impressed with it.

Other thing i like about LG is they are great value for money, and normally they have better specs for the price, for example the LG has a quad core processor and the Sony just has a dual core, yet there the same price.

Also worth noting, if your buying from RS you can sign up for free to the VIP members club, it only takes a couple of mins, once your done you can get 10% off, so that would be around £70-80 at a guess, worth doing!

darren68uk

Prominent Member
its a shame your in a pickle with a broke tv, and cannot wait a bit,
CES is about to announce the 2016 line up next week and LG have new offerings,

I was wanting an OLED 4k which im hoping will come down in price, but also looked at the LG 55UF860V, does seem a reasonable set on a budget,
if you wanted to wait out 4k as HDR is starting to play a big part in UHD, there is the LG 55EC930V which is an OLED 1080P set @ £1299 at the mo

good luck with what you get

dp4

Established Member
Cheers for the suggestions it's much appreciated.

I could possibly live with my current tv for a bit as it works but has multi coloured lines down one side of the screen which after a week of being there is really starting to annoy me. The missus says there's nowt wrong with it (typical women haha)

Think I'm gonna down to my local richer sounds today and have a look at different ones as after looking at various places for tv's they seem to have a good rep and the 6 year warranty definitely appeals to me seeing as it was my lack of getting a warranty on the last one that has got me is this situation.

darren68uk

Prominent Member
im sure not much has changed since I bought my LG 55LM670T from richer sounds but as far as on here goes its either them or John Lewis you want to give your money to if you want some aftercare! :)

dp4

Established Member
Couldn't get to richer sounds as the weather put me off going that way . Went into currys instead and had a look at the TVs.

After about an hour of deciding went for the Sony one I mentioned earlier I had seen online. I was well impressed with its picture compared to others in the price range there and it did not seem sluggish or anything with the android os, the lg one did seem a bit smoother but I preferred the Sony picture and it had an extra hdmi port. I mentioned that bit to the bloke about the software and he said that software updates over recent months has helped make android run smoother on the Sony.

They offered a free 5 year warranty so I mentioned I could get it from richer sounds for the same price but with an extra years warranty. They wouldn't do nothing with it so I asked for a deal with a Sony soundbar I liked the look of but they would not budge on anything (worth a try - if you don't ask you don't get )

Came home and ordered the TV from richer sounds instead, can put up with the lines down the screen for a few extra days.

BM08

Prominent Member
Dont say i didnt warn you!!!

Only kidding mate, if you had a play and it wasnt sluggish/got updates to sort it, then fair enough, you should have yourself a brilliant tv. Surprised Currys turned you away, but then you did the right thing in walking out and ordering it from RS.

You can put up with your old tv for a few days if it means your getting an extra year on the warranty.

Let us know when its there and you've got it setup etc.

jefferys77

Novice Member
Wanting to pick up a new tv over the next couple of days as my current one has broke.

I'm not a home cinema enthusiast or anything so it does not have to be perfect although I do like a good picture so have decided to get a 4k tv.

Would mainly be using it for tv, netflix, streaming content from my nas or memory stick, the occasional football stream on kodi and ps4 gaming. Not too bothered about 3d but would be a nice bonus if it did have it.

Budget is about £900 but could stretch a bit further for the right bargain.

Looking online myself I've narrowed it down to either an LG 55UF860V or a sony KD55X8509C. I had been swinging towards the sony as it has android built in and was hoping I'd be able to install kodi directly to it and get rid of my fire stick.

Both of these appear to be £899 and I can get a 6 year warranty from richer sounds.

I'd consider any make except a samsung as my current samsung 51" plasma has a faulty screen after only 23 months of having it and I did not take any extra warranty out on it and I've been fobbed off by both samsung and the retailer I bought it from so I will not buy another samsung.

Are those 2 tv's I have suggested any good or are there better ones to be had for the price.

Cheers
I see you had a bad experience with a Samsung but they currently make the best led/lcd tv's.
I have a 4k Samsung which is great, but in hindsight I would save the cash or get a bigger screen with the top of the line Samsung HD j-series led. See my post on 4k under ju7000 review for more on HD vs UHD.

dp4

Established Member
finally got the tv today. Courier who richer sounds used was great and actually insisted on taking it out the box and making sure I check it all over to make sure it was perfect. When they saw I was in on my own they even helped me put the base on it so that I wasn't struggling to lift it on my own.

TV is great , I'd read a lot about the android os on them being laggy and slow but so far it has been working great with no lag whatsoever, wonder if software updates have fixed this.

It asked for a system update as soon as it was going through the setup , this took a few mins to download but over half an hour to install.

Once I setup my sky box, cable box and ps4 with it I was straight onto netflix to test the 4k out. It does not disappoint. There wasn't much choice but I've saw at least 3 tv shows I fancy watching so I will be getting stuck into them over the weekend. I was disappointed there was no actual films on netflix to watch in 4k.

The picture quality on this is superb and it was a shame when I had to go back to regular HD on my cable box. Regular HD looks much better on this tv than my last one and looks better than my friend has on their relatively new sony 1080p tv as well so I think it does a good job of upscaling it.

Sound quality is pretty decent but I'm gonna add a matching sony soundbar to it soon. Would love a proper surround system but the wires and extra speakers isn't worth the argument with the missus, can just about get away with a soundbar.

I use kodi and Plex a bit and they were a doddle to install and setup on this tv and run great so that means I can get rid of my firestick I was running kodi on.

Disappointed that it never came with any 3d glasses as you would expect that from a £900 TV. Not sure if my samsung ones will work with it (need some new batteries to test) but they were from active 3d and this is what I think this TV has.

So far based on my experience with this TV I would highly recommend it and I I can also recommend richer sounds online ordering as it got sent out quite quickly considering the time of year and their courier company were top class.

darren68uk

Prominent Member
glad your happy with it, :thumbsup:

my search continues., 3D is quite important to me, and sticking with anything passive 3D and at the moment, thats either take a chance on an LG OLED 4K telly or the LG 65UG870 4K Tv which has absolutely Zero feedback or reviews doh!

or wait for the new E series LG's

bobbyduke

Banned
My tip is get the tv home and seeing it in your room, take no notice of a lot of reviews most of them are back handed jobs to promote them. RS let me take 3 tvs back no problem until I was satisfied with the right one.

darren68uk

Prominent Member
My tip is get the tv home and seeing it in your room, take no notice of a lot of reviews most of them are back handed jobs to promote them. RS let me take 3 tvs back no problem until I was satisfied with the right one.

I'm still on my trusty 55LM670T

But have my Dolby atoms setup now and love it
The current 4K TVs (2015 models) are dropping in price nicely
Looking at getting a 55UF950V

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom