Can't decide which Sony LCD 46"/52" to get?

tubamatt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Sony TV, 46"-52" and I've got a reasonably large budget of £1600-2000 to spend. The problem is that I cannot make any sense of what the impenetrable array of letters in the model numbers mean! I get the KDL52 bit means that it is a 52" LCD but what does the rest mean?

Could anyone help me out at all?

Picture is very important but sound doesn't matter to me at all as I run everything through my 7.1 setup so the TV speakers are normally turned off. I would like a few HDMI inputs and preferably a PC input. Freeview would be nice but not essential.

If anyone could recommend which model to go for or any from other makers that are particularly good that would be great! I'm only looking at Sony as I've always had them and loved them.

Thanks,

Matt

Camera, HD TV, Blu-ray, MP3 player, laptop : Sony

There is a good comparison facility. The differences are 'normal' LCD versus 'LED' LCD. Then it comes down to all of the other networking/USB playback type features. I think all of the new big Sonys have HD FV

Best go to a Sony shop for advice?

Camera, HD TV, Blu-ray, MP3 player, laptop : Sony

There is a good comparison facility. The differences are 'normal' LCD versus 'LED' LCD. Then it comes down to all of the other networking/USB playback type features. I think all of the new big Sonys have HD FV

Best go to a Sony shop for advice?

Cheers, didn't see that on their website. Looks like the KDL-52EX703 for me then (or possibly the KDL-52NX803 if I can stretch the upper end of the budget...)

I was already going to a local Sony centre but wanted to have a few models in mind before I go!

Thanks,

Matt

I'm now also considering the KDL-55EX503 55".

Any thoughts from anyone?

Matt

I might get the KDL-55EX503 myself. The other option that interests me is the 52HX703 but when I looked earlier it had gone from Sony's website and they only showed the 46" version for some reason. Anyway, I think i'd prefer the larger size of the KDL-55EX503.

I do prefer the Monolithic styling of the 703, but a bigger screen is going to improve my viewing experience, and that's what a tv's for after all!.

I have been investigating Sony's range for some time now.
I can decrypt some of it for you :
KDL-55ex503
55 is indeed the size
EX is the range. EX is their new entry-level.
500 is the model. The EX line up is :
400 : LCD, 50Hz
500 : LCD, 100Hz
700, LED, 100Hz
I guess that the "3" is the UK version of it.

I am myself considering the 55ex500 ... but i'm not yet sure against the 52ex700 which is roughly at the same price.
However both of them seem difficult to find in stock at retailers !

I was originally planning on buying the KDL-55EX503, but after seeing a side-by-side comparison in my local Sony store (of a smaller 40" model) I decided that the LED side-lit version (i.e. EX703) was noticeably brighter/clearer.

So I went with the KDL-52EX703, which after a frustrating wait of nearly 4 weeks, finally arrived last week! I'm chuffed to bits with it. I'm still getting used to the sheer size of it (I replaced a 32" model). Blu-ray discs look absolutely stunning (I couldn't tell the different between DVD and Blu-ray with the 32" set).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom