1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Decide Which PJ!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by phil2415, Sep 12, 2004.

1. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so having read hundreds of posts on similar subjects I know this topic may be a little tired, but I really can't make my mind up. I am looking to buy a PJ on a budget (under £700.... I know... :blush: ) and have a bit over for a DRH screen. I was all set to buy the Infocus X1 for £573 because it gets such great reviews everywhere I look and it just sounds great. Then today I came across an Epson TW-10H for £598, and that also gets good reviews. So now I'm torn, and I can't decide!

For some reason I've developed the idea that LCDs aren't as good as DLPs, so I'm prejudiced against the TW-10H, but then again, the Epson has 16:9 native ratio, and I although I will be using it for TV, it's films where I really want the PJ to shine. Rainbows don't seem to be a problem for me, and I'll hopefully be viewing on a 92" screen 16:9 (if I get the Epson) or a 99" (if I get the Infocus). One other small consideration is that the X1 won't QUITE fill the screen I'm wanting at the distance I've got available, but it's only a couple of cms out.... HELP!!!

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No straight answer for you................... if you don't have a problem with rainbows, the X1 would be an attractive proposition - there's plenty of stuff on the net extolling it's virtues. If you really can't find a logical and substantial reason to differentiate between the two you've narrowed it down to, flip a coin......

S.

3. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hahaha.... Thanks for the help, theritz!! Now, where's that 50p piece....

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am good-humouredly assuming that you're not being sarcastic......

You've got it narrowed down to two, there isn't a lot to chose between them. If someone comes along and says "I've got an X1, it's brilliant", someone else is just as likely to say "I've got the Epson, it's brilliant", or as has been the case so far on your thread no one is prepared to say anything about it.........

Personally, the X1 would probably not be my choice, due in part to the noise level and in part to rainbows - the wheel speed is too slow for my sensitivity to them (I am better off with a faster wheel speed) - you indicated that rainbows are not a problem for you so that issue is off the agenda. The advantage that DLP has over LCD (in general) is fewer image artifacts, and the X1 has DCDi processing which would be another benefit over the Epson, which might balance out the noise issue of one versus the other. There have been a number of recent posts from newcomers who've gotten the X1 (and at £560 it's a very inexpensive entry into front projection) posting that they're thrilled with it.

This kind of comparative stuff could go on endlessly and you've probably gone through them yourself. I presume you've seen both of these in action, if not then I'd advise you to do so - it might help you make up your mind one way or the other, if you have difficulty finding an appropriate coin ;)

Sean.

5. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help again, Theritz. I was being sarcastic, in as good-natured a way as you can imagine. You quite rightly state that I have been through these things a million times in my mind, and I'm at the point of just saying "what the hell" and going for it. What's the worst that can happen. I think the X1 will win....

Unfortunately I haven't demoed either projector, which I know is bad, but I'm so impatient and there isn't anywhere too near to me where I could do so. What's more, if I did go out to the shop to have a look at them (assuming they still sell the X1...) then I'd end up saying "no thanks" and feel bad becaues I was going to buy it on-line all along! Terrible though it sounds, I had intended just to buy the PJ and hope for the best...

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ok, sarcasm all put to bed now :D

Look, you've put your finger right on it - "what's the worst that can happen ?" - these machines don't have any known major reliability issues.
    First-time front projection will knock your socks off, and the X1 has legions of avid followers, most particularly in the USA. At the price available now it's a steal, about £200 more than you'd pay for a year (or more) old entry level machine secondhand off the forums here.

If you do opt for the X1 I don't reckon you'll be disappointed and that's the nearest you'll get me to giving you a nudge to get you off the fence !!!!!!

Sean.

7. phil2415

phil2415
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do appreciate the advice. I ordered the X1 this morning...

Now, which screen do I get... ? ;) DRH here we come....