1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't decide which DVD Recorder - Help!?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Starnzy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Starnzy

Starnzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy my first DVD recorder and have seen a couple that I like, but not really knowing that much about them; which ones are good and which ones to avoid, I thought I'd post here and hopefully you guys can help?

I am thinking of spending in the region of £300 to £400, although I could go slightly more if it was absolutely worth it.

I will be using it mostly for playing DVD's but will do the odd bit of recording too.
    It's essential that it has Component Video output and 2 scarts. A digital input for my Mini DV camcorder would be useful too!
    It would be great if it could support both DVD + and -.

So, I've seen 3 Sony's that I like the look and sound of - Perhaps you can give me some feedback on each of the models and what their Pros and Cons are?

Firstly I see the Sony RDR-GX7 in my local Sony Shop reduced to £379 from £500. Nice brushed aluminium front and the guy said it 'was' the top of the range model before the HD versions came out, hence they are selling off the last ones. I think I read something about the GX7 not outputting progressive or something (whatever that means) which is not ideal?

Then the main one I have been looking at is the RDR-GX700 which is also in the Sony shop for £379 instead of £400. This also 'looks' really nice but how does it perform?

Finally, I see the Sony Hard-Disk models which is likely to be a bit out of my price range but I wanted to find out a bit more about them first before I wrote the HD models off. What are the main advantages of having an HD in the DVD Recorder? How does the HD model perform in comparison to the other 2 mentioned above?

Any feedback on these queries would be much appreciated - Am I looking at some decent units here or are there others that are better that meet my requirements?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature - it answers the basic FAQs and discusses the 'benefit' of multi-format recording support (virtually all machines will playback + and - discs burnt on other machines).

The Sony GX7 is a good DVD recorder - and effectively has the same encoder as the new models - although there are better machines out there. Note that the GX7 output is not progressive (if that matters to you).

3. Starnzy

Starnzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    So if you could get a GX7 OR a GX700 for the same price, which would you go for out of the 2?

I will check that link out now, thanks again.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Probably the GX700 - mainly because of the timeslip ability and progressive scan- but there really isn't much in it. It also has DVD+R support which the GX7 doesn't.

In it's day the GX7 was vastly over-priced without any good reason (i.e. better performance). Obviously with the new models out they are now reduced - if you can pick one up you ARE getting a very good DVD recorder and won't be disappointed.

Have you ruled out the HDD option BTW? The quickest test to see whether you want a HDD/DVDR combi is to ask yourself: do I want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players?. If the answer is yes buy a HDD/DVDR combi, if no then a standalone will be fine!

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also are you likely to want to record more than 2 of hours of good quality tv while you're out (asuming you don't have sky + etc). If you're away for a couple of weeks then a HDD is an invaluable way to record all the episode of your favourite soap, or reality show or whatever. A DVD only gives you about 2 hours of good quality recording.

It is possible to get HDD/DVDR combi from £350 (the now, much debated toshiba sx32 as an example, of which I am a happy owner)

6. Starnzy

Starnzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the replies - OK so now it looks like I am down to the GX700 or the HX900. Looking at the questions you have posed as to whether I need an HD unit, I probably would want to do some of that stuff at some point.

1 - So, presumably the HX900 is just as good quality on both playback and recording as the GX700, has progressive output etc, but just has the added benefit of the HD (and a brushed aluminium front panel)?

2 - Where do you guys generally buy your units from? Online or high street shop? Just wondering where you stand as far as returns go (in case anything happens to it 6 months down the line)? Obviously I dont want to get ripped off by shopping at the wrong place so any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Effectively yes.

Online! Much cheaper. I normally use www.rgbdirect.co.uk - who generally provide a fast, hastle free service but somepeople have reported problems with them.

8. Starnzy

Starnzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes I've heard about RGB. A colleague at work bought a Toshiba DVD player from them and when it went wrong he had weeks worth of problems apparently trying to get a replacement sorted. May have just been unlucky I guess. Certainly look like good prices on there. Do they Multi-Region all their units?
    Im not fussed if its fixed Region 2 or if its Multi-Region. Im always a bit worried how the warranty stands up if it has been modified by the retailer?
    Any other sites that you can recommend?

Looks like I need to decide between £312 or £484 as far as RGB is concerned! Hmmm...

Thanks for all your help so far!

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Not really - may I suggest you post a new topic - e.g. 'Best Online Retailers'. I don't want to recommend someone I haven't had sufficient experience with! If you do a www.pricerunner.co.uk search there are several other retailers selling it at a similar price - but I don't know how they rate.