Answered Cant Decide What Screen to go with? 2.35.1 or 16.9

16.9 120in cinegrey ambient light rejecting 1.2 gain or 2.35.1 125 cinewhite screen 1.0 gain

• Total voters

e46m3csl

Novice Member
Reaction score
I really cant decide what screen aspect ratio to go with, issue being is , say I watch content that is not 2.35.1 will I be able to change it through the projectors settings so I can see it at 2.35.1? I will using a Epson 5040 which does have anamorphic lens. Example would be using the screen for my ps4 or watching netflix. What screen would you go with>

2.35 or even 2.39! Once I get around to buying a projector (hopefully in 2017 :) ) I am hoping that I will be able to fit in a 3m wide 2.39 screen when I do :eek:

I've just upgraded form a 92" 16:9 to a 3m (118") 2.35:1 and I much prefer the wider screen. Even 16:9 stuff looks great on the screen and I don't even notice to empty room at the sides of the screen but for some reason I did notice the black bars on my 16:9 screen much more.

2.35 for me too. Anything else compromises scope movies, and 16:9 is supposed to be smaller, not larger than scope. Just make sure you're sitting close enough that 16:9 looks as large as you feel comfortable with within the 2.35 screen.

In 16:9 format there is not much in size difference from my old 92" screen and my new 118" 2.35:1 screen (12.5mm top and bottom).

Attachments

• 1692351.jpg
    1692351.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 116
All things being equal 2.35 assuming you're not just watching TV/sports/gaming. It just feels like your watching something special rather than a big screen tv.

2.35 all the way mate,I have a 115" 2.35 which only gives a 92" 16:9 but makes all the difference when you stick a movie on the picture seems massive and so immersive"[emoji106]

You guys have any suggestions to go with what brand , I had some good recommandations and along with my research I have so far only only found Elite screens and if I want to go with the 2.35.1 they dont make it bigger than 100 in the cinegrey material which is light asboring and also have a gain of 1.2 with a edge less design. My budget is about $1000 am even happy to Diy as well. Si screens are just way to expensive.

Any suggestions where I can get a 120 inch edgeless 2.35.1 screen that has 1.2 gain with light absorbing material?

Last edited:
Think I'm going to go for the biggest 16:9 screen I can fit, then mask to 2.35.1

Then I get the largest size 2.35 picture anyway plus even bigger 16:9.

I moved from 16:9 to 2.35:1 and would never go back again. I agree with @Timoweb I always noticed bars above and below but somehow don't notice them at the sides.

I'm the same; side bars don't bother me as much as top and bottom bars. However, it's also much easier to mask side bars with simple hanging masks which is what I'll do when my new screen is in place.

I prefer 2.35 (actually 2.40:1 in my case since I found with my last screen that many discs are closer to 2.40 than 2.35, so this avoids any slight 'slivers' of black bars). I'm also limited how tall my screen can be due to having my TV go down below the level of the screen, so I may as well use all the width I can.

A current mid-build photo below (the area above the top of the TV to just above the top of this picture will be a fixed screen, same width as the MDF 'base'):

TV down.jpg

Yes I will post pictures once I start getting things together, as of now I will be going with a 16.9 ALR screen thats 120in with a borderless design. Reason being is I cant find a 2.35.1 120 inch couple inches down or with a borderless design with 1.2 gain. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

It used to be the case that most manufacturers would build you a scope screen and charge you a similar price as the taller 16:9 version if it was ne they didn't usually supply. They just didn't build or advertise scope as much as the more common 16:9 ratio, so you could just contact the manufacturers or a forum assured advertiser to get exactly what you want.

Is it going to be a fixed screen or pull down/electric?

How do 2.35 screens cope with IMAX scenes like in Dark Knight?

It depends, some 2.35 screen owners use an anamorphic lens which means the black bars or the IMAX part of the images are lost because all the source res is scaled up to fill the height of the display, and the lens stretches the image horizontally to restore the geometry. For people that zoom, some projectors have the ability to crop the image down so that the IMAX parts above and below the 2.35 part of the image are always black and not visible. If you don't have either of those facilities, they will overspill above and below the screen onto the wall behind.

I think there are maybe 10 films like that at the moment, and given that they are only for a small percentage of the movie, and the extra imagery is filler and not actually necessary for the movie content, it makes them something hardly worth worrying about IMHO.

Some people have what is called CIH+IMAX, which is a 16:9 screen semi permanently masked down to 2.35, and everything (including 16:9) is watched constant height. When there is a movie that has some IMAX scenes, they can remove the top and bottom masking and that allows those scenes to be visible when they occur. Considering it's for literally a handful of movies compared to the many thousand 2.35 ratio movies, it seems hardly worth catering for for most people.

HTH

Basically well have to go with a 16.9 due not being able to find a borderless ALR 2.35.1 SCREEN:rotfl:

Basically well have to go with a 16.9 due not being able to find a borderless ALR 2.35.1 SCREEN:rotfl:

Have you spoken to any dealers or is this just based on a web search? I found that very few websites list 2.35:1 screens, yet the dealers can offer them it just needs an email or phone call to get a price.

Actaully new to the form, no this is just based on my research. Do we have vendors on this forum? Any chance you know of any dealers ?

Actaully new to the form, no this is just based on my research. Do we have vendors on this forum? Any chance you know of any dealers ?

I don't know where you are in the country, but two that are local to me that I would recommend would be Jagdeepp at Epic Home Cinema in Langley or Ricky at Kalibrate near Caterham. They are both 'Assured Advertisers' which also shows in their details on the left side of their posts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom