Cant decide - some advice

kevin_irl

Recently baught a hdtv and a ps3 and now I want surround sound. I could either wait and get a True HD / DTS HD amp (havent seen any in the shops) or get a Onkyo 674 for 300 qutd. What u think?!

rEVILospud

If your source (HD-DVD, BD, or PS3) has the decoders for TrueHD, DTS HD etc. and can output it as PCM over HDMI, then all you need is a receiver which accepts PCM over HDMI (or infact has 8-channel analogue inputs, as long as your source does); there is no need for the receiver to have the specific decoders.

Rob20

So if I were to buy Sony's DA5200ES that features 8-channel linear PCM decoding via HDMI, I would just need to buy a HD player that already decodes Dolby True HD or DTS HD. Something the PS3 doesn't currently do I think!?

rEVILospud

Yes the Sony 5200 will do this, as will the Sony 3200.
I believe the PS3 does in fact output in this way.

kevin_irl

If your source (HD-DVD, BD, or PS3) has the decoders for TrueHD, DTS HD etc. and can output it as PCM over HDMI, then all you need is a receiver which accepts PCM over HDMI (or infact has 8-channel analogue inputs, as long as your source does); there is no need for the receiver to have the specific decoders.

Is that english?! Sorry, im a newbee when it comes to this subject.

Rob20

I've read somewhere that it might actually be preferable to gave the player decode the latest HD sound formats than the amp. Has anyone else read/heard this?

rEVILospud

It's the situation as a current DVD player and AV Receiver;
If you let the DVD player decode the DD/DTS soundtrack and output as PCM, then the receiver won't need to use it's DD/DTS decoders.
If you let the DVD player output the RAW audio signal over Optical/Co-axial it will not use it's decoders, then the receiver will need to use it's DD/DTS decoders to make sense of it.

Basically the player and receiver don't both need to have the decoders, if one is decoding the other doesn't need to.

So as long as the player has the correct decoders and capable connections (8-channel PCM over HDMI or 8-channel analogue) then the receiver does not need to have the decoders at all.

I have also heard that this is the way they are going with it.

F

formulaonenut

It is all so confusing, but after weeks of reading posts all over I am starting to get the grasp of it all. I still have to choose a receiver. I have almost settled on the Sony's but just got a bit more ruling out to do. As far as I can see it, in their price range the Sony 3200/5200 are the only receivers that feature 8-channel linear PCM decoding via HDMI. That makes them the most future proof in this price range. Am I correct ?

formulaonenut.

batts09

It is all so confusing, but after weeks of reading posts all over I am starting to get the grasp of it all. I still have to choose a receiver. I have almost settled on the Sony's but just got a bit more ruling out to do. As far as I can see it, in their price range the Sony 3200/5200 are the only receivers that feature 8-channel linear PCM decoding via HDMI. That makes them the most future proof in this price range. Am I correct ?

formulaonenut.

You are.

Dann'sTheMan

I've read somewhere that it might actually be preferable to gave the player decode the latest HD sound formats than the amp. Has anyone else read/heard this?

That's right. Check out this article: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_1.html

Basically, with High Def disks - the idea is that the player will act as a mixer, creating the complete audio presentation before sending to the AVR for amplification. If you listened to the director's commentary on DVD, chances are it was a lower quality audio presentation of both the commentary and the main movie audio.

On the new High Def disks, the audio track for the commentary is mixed in with the full quality movie audio tracks. For this to happen, the audio needs to be in LPCM format, so this means that any decoding to LPCM must take place in the Player, prior to mixing. IIRC, this player decode approach is already mandatory for HD-DVD... :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom