Can't decide on these TV models LCD Vs Oled

mridontknow

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

These are just some information about my TV usage / what I'm looking for in a TV.

Which external devices do you plan to connect to the TV?
Nintendo Switch (main), PS4 (occassionally). I mainly game on PC, only on PS4 for selective games.
I will be getting a separate soundbar + subwoofer with Doly Atmos.

What content will you watch on the TV?
Netflix (I have premium), Amazon Prime, NowTV. Just watch TV shows & movies. I don't watch sport.

Viewing distance / watch frequency:
Centre and side.
I have my windows to the left side of my TV, I do watch TV during daytime and night time. So occassionally there may be sunlight direct on TV.

Please rearrange the following, in descending importance:

1. Value
2. Picture accuracy out of the box (without pro calibration)
3. Blacks
4. Viewing Angles
5. HDR
6. SDR
7. Shadow detail
8. Smart TV ease of use
9. Smart TV app selection
10. Cost
11. Sound

My pet peeves when it comes to TV:
1. Reflective screens
2. Slow smart TV

Can't decide between LCD vs OLED. I heard OLED does have Burn In possibility, but with my TV usage I doubt I will be affected.

I have seen this 65" OLED from Philips I can get for £1125 from Currys:

Or a 55" LG Oled from RGBDirect for £1045:

Or a 55" LCD from Sony for £999

With the price of the LCD from Sony seems quite high, seems like I'm better off paying slightly more for OLED? Can anyone share their recommendations / reviews for these 3 TV models I'm looking at? Or possibly suggest me something better.

Last edited:
Also like to add I don't game much anyway. Probably 2 hours a day during weekends only.
I watch TV for about 2-4 hours on average a day.

My budget would be about £1200 max.

Right now i'm leaning towards Philips because its a 65" OLED, but have heard their software isn't great?

To get both good viewing angles and HDR you're looking at an OLED or LCD TVs like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T.

If you spend less, you have to compromise with either viewing angles, or HDR, or both.

OLED is fine as long as you don't use the TV during direct sunlight, heating up the TV will reduce the lifespan, although direct sun on any TV, even an LCD TV is a bad idea in the long run.

Keeping in budget sheer value for money from an OLED would be the Panasonic 55" HZ980 from Costco at the moment. The Philips you picked out is great value too, but its a 2019 model with very basic smart TV. Still though, you can't argue for that price.

As others have said, you need to decide on OLED v LED.

If you do go for the Sony XH9505 then Costco have the 65" for £1149 which is also good value. In all honesty though that Phillips deal is very tempting. I would never normally consider buying from Curry's but at that price it seems hard to ignore. I believe that Topcashback have 10% cashback at the moment as well so it would bring the price down to almost 1k which seems crazy for a 652 OLED!

Any of the deals you mention are pretty good though to be honest, and as has been mentioned by @Dodgexander, the Panasonic at £850 at Costco is looking good value as well. What I would say though is if you are going to go for the LG then the best bet is to try and get John Lewis to PM RGB direct today so you can buy it while they have the free £100 evoucher promotion (it runs out at midnight tonight I think).

To get both good viewing angles and HDR you're looking at an OLED or LCD TVs like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T.

If you spend less, you have to compromise with either viewing angles, or HDR, or both.

OLED is fine as long as you don't use the TV during direct sunlight, heating up the TV will reduce the lifespan, although direct sun on any TV, even an LCD TV is a bad idea in the long run.

Keeping in budget sheer value for money from an OLED would be the Panasonic 55" HZ980 from Costco at the moment. The Philips you picked out is great value too, but its a 2019 model with very basic smart TV. Still though, you can't argue for that price.

After looking at it I think that the Philips 705 is actually this years entry model running android (not the 2019 one which like you I assumed it was). Does this mean it would be similar to the LG A series?
If so what would be the drawbacks with it do you think? It almost seems too good to be true at £1124 (potentially £1012 with cashback)?

After looking at it I think that the Philips 705 is actually this years entry model running android (not the 2019 one which like you I assumed it was). Does this mean it would be similar to the LG A series?
If so what would be the drawbacks with it do you think? It almost seems too good to be true at £1124 (potentially £1012 with cashback)?
The last digit in the model number suggests its a 2020 model, not 2019 and not 2021. I was thinking of the 704/754 which indeed was a 2019 model. The 2021 Philips models end in a 6..so oddly this model number if a 2021 TV would be OLED706 or 756. Not quite sure if its an error on the listing, or if this is a 2020 model with a delayed release. Possibly the reason its priced so low is they are clearing 2020 stock. I hadn't even noticed the TV until now.

This model looks like it has improved smart TV compared to the older 2019 model, although typically Philips have used last years, rather than this years panel in these TVs so it may well still use a 2019 panel. (although that really doesn't matter so much).

Either way, its very good value for money. From what I've found looking it up on various spec sheets it should be 120hz, not 60hz like the LG A1 OLED. That is if it indeed is the 705 and not 706. The 706 being a 2021 model will probably be using 60hz.

Philips OLEDs tend to do well with motion but are a bit quirky on the firmware/smart TV side of things. I don't think you'll find another TV for similar kind of money with the same spec though, at least not until the newly released models come down in price.

The last digit in the model number suggests its a 2020 model, not 2019 and not 2021. I was thinking of the 704/754 which indeed was a 2019 model. The 2021 Philips models end in a 6..so oddly this model number if a 2021 TV would be OLED706 or 756. Not quite sure if its an error on the listing, or if this is a 2020 model with a delayed release. Possibly the reason its priced so low is they are clearing 2020 stock. I hadn't even noticed the TV until now.

This model looks like it has improved smart TV compared to the older 2019 model, although typically Philips have used last years, rather than this years panel in these TVs so it may well still use a 2019 panel. (although that really doesn't matter so much).

Either way, its very good value for money. From what I've found looking it up on various spec sheets it should be 120hz, not 60hz like the LG A1 OLED. That is if it indeed is the 705 and not 706. The 706 being a 2021 model will probably be using 60hz.

Philips OLEDs tend to do well with motion but are a bit quirky on the firmware/smart TV side of things. I don't think you'll find another TV for similar kind of money with the same spec though, at least not until the newly released models come down in price.
When I search up that Philips TV model online it seems to suggests its a 2021 model, philips website: Buy the Philips OLED 4K UHD OLED Android TV 65OLED705/12 4K UHD OLED Android TV

So since its 2021 model, I should be safe in terms of firmware being updated and not slow or stuff.

Any reason to go for LCD tv like Sony XH95 over this OLED tv (apart from possible screen burn)?

When I search up that Philips TV model online it seems to suggests its a 2021 model, philips website: Buy the Philips OLED 4K UHD OLED Android TV 65OLED705/12 4K UHD OLED Android TV

So since its 2021 model, I should be safe in terms of firmware being updated and not slow or stuff.

Any reason to go for LCD tv like Sony XH95 over this OLED tv (apart from possible screen burn)?
As far as I am concerned the only reasons to go for a top end LCD over an OLED (apart from viewing habits that risk burn in) would be price and possibly if you are going to view in an extremely bright room. OLED is going to give you the best picture in almost all environments though and will be hands down the best choice for evening/dark room viewing.

I don't know that much about the Philips but to be honest it does look easily the best deal at the moment, especially when you consider it is even cheaper than the Sony 65XH9505. There is an owners forum for the 705 on this site you could look at if you haven't done so already?

Its not a 2021 model. The 2021 model would be this:

Just for some reason it hasn't appeared until now. I think perhaps the reason its so cheap and hasn't appeared until now is down to Covid supply chain issues. They are probably trying to get rid of old stock fast to make way for the new 2021 model.

If the TV is using the same chipset as their other 2020 models then it runs this:

Which isn't great for Android TV, but isn't bad either, its basically a last gen chip which is slower than most 2020 TVs, and a lot slower than a few specific models. To use phones as an example, this chipset was used on mid range phones in 2017, so is a bit long in the tooth now.
The newer (suffix 6) models have a more modern chipset updated mainly for HDMI 2.1, and smart TV will run faster...but you can expect to pay more for that I'm sure.
As far as support goes, the TV comes with Android 9, I'd expect at most an update to Android 10. I don't think their 2020 models running this chipset will see the new Google TV smart oS.

But you get what you pay for, even if the price was for the old 2019 model its still great value for money, I certainly can't think of anything to compare it too other than OLED TVs like the LG BX or Panasonic HZ980 which should be discounted right now also since they too are 2020 models. Most OLEDs sell for 1500 or more at 65".

The Sony XH9505 LCD TV is a good alternative, more suited for using in brighter conditions than an OLED. I'd say its not good value at the same price compared to the Philips OLED though. We're at the point now where it costs too much to make an LCD TV to compete with an OLED, so the very best ones really are a tier down overall in picture quality.

Weird on Richer Sounds they're advertising the product as "new":

Also on Amazon it states the model is 2021 in the listing title:
Amazon product ASIN B08XW1NJ27
Plus some thread from this forum, says they've "quietly" released this TV and that post was dated March 2021:

But anyways thx for the advice guys, bought the Philips TV last night just before the promo expired. The offer was too good to pass down on.

Last edited:
Weird on Richer Sounds they're advertising the product as "new":

Also on Amazon it states the model is 2021 in the listing title:
Amazon product ASIN B08XW1NJ27
Plus some thread from this forum, says they've "quietly" released this TV and that post was dated March 2021:

But anyways thx for the advice guys, bought the Philips TV last night just before the promo expired. The offer was too good to pass down on.

FWIW I think you made the right choice. Best ever price on a 65" OLED so I doubt you can go wrong.

Would be keen to hear your feedback on the TV after you have had a chance to try it out.

I'm sure they are branding it as 'new' but its a 2020 model. Otherwise it wouldn't have 5 at the end. My theory about it I've explained above (release delayed due to Covid). I linked the 2021 model (OLED706).

Now I feel really lucky I got the TV mines coming on Sat. Price on Currys went back up to £1499, seems like it was a misprice.

what is the current Costco price of the Panasonic ? I just missed out on a Bank Holiday deal of £845, , still really like what i've read about the tv, but having slight 2nd thoughts after reading about the ''Horrors of Screen Burn'' {its being bought for my old man who watches too much freeview with all those annoying logos in the top left or right hand corner}

Costco seems to have the sony a8 55 for £1079 very good value

what is the current Costco price of the Panasonic ? I just missed out on a Bank Holiday deal of £845, , still really like what i've read about the tv, but having slight 2nd thoughts after reading about the ''Horrors of Screen Burn'' {its being bought for my old man who watches too much freeview with all those annoying logos in the top left or right hand corner}
Check this thread, I don't have a Costco membership but if the Costco deal is ended Crampton and Moore still have that good price:

I probably wouldn't get an OLED for my Dad, too much of a tendency to watch BBC news. Also you kinda have to understand how the tech works, what causes it, know to switch your TV to standby every 4 hours etc. Not something most Dads would be willing to do, nor care to understand.

With channel logos some are more dangerous than others, really depends on his viewing habits, how much he views the TV, the logos colour etc

These are currently the online prices for Costco's cheapest OLED TV's.

1622746135500.png

If you dont need 2.1 i would say the sony is good value and r/s may price match so another £20 off

As a fairly ancient Grandad let alone Dad I would concur that forget an OLED. I cannot see that this technology is for other than enthusiast use.

OK

Definitely best in dark environment
Best viewing angles
But....
Not bright enough in bright room. Lower HDR brightness
Be careful what you watch unless you accept burn in! So many channels have logos and many have info bars!
Be prepared to turn off TV every 4 hrs for it to recover!??

All my 4 sons (36-53) two of whom have tech degrees agree with me that they cannot see any advantage in OLED at any price for their main TV.

Only un-assessed family member is oldest 21 yr old grandson. I know he has some sophisticated kit for gaming but uncertain as to what display he uses. All I know is he has won significant amounts of money via gaming apps.

OK I can see OLED in some way becoming the display of the future but not yet.

What surprises me further is that for several years Samsung have been making excellent OLED displays for their and some third party (inc recently Apple) phones and tablets. Samsung does not however seem to consider this technology route as a development for larger screens?

Last edited:
FWIW I think you made the right choice. Best ever price on a 65" OLED so I doubt you can go wrong.

Would be keen to hear your feedback on the TV after you have had a chance to try it out.
After 2 days can say the TV is fantastic! I had an old Sony 2011 TV which wasn't even smart. So of course this TV just blew my mind. Really stunning pictures, the ambilight is just amazing. It really takes your breath away when you watch content at night.

I've also managed to connect the TV to my Philips Hue light which is very cool. I'm satisfied with the UI got all the apps I need, I've had no issues with the apps so far. Chromecast works fine also. Not disappointed in the slightest so far.

Well worth the £1125 price. :D Glad I took up on that offer from what I can see Currys has bumped up the price to £1499, and no one else is offering this TV at less than £1400.

Im interested in the 705 ,from what I have seen it's an updated version which has 2 hdmi 2.1 ports and comes with p5 Al not just the p5.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom