1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Decide on getting NW-HD1. Questions on MP3 to ATRAC

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Anthrax, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading many threads about the NW-HD1. i've come to the conclusion that the player itself is very good, and of great quality. but then the software is rather buggy and annoying.

theres a few questions i have before i go and get one of these players(i can get one for very cheap!)

1. When converting MP3's to the player, it has to convert to ATRAC. will i be able to select the bitrate of the ATRAC file when converting my MP3's ?

2. I heard that converting MP3's to ATRAC takes a long time. Can i download Sonicstage now, and convert my MP3's to ATRAC while i wait for my NW-HD1 to arrive 2 days after i order it ? so i can get the files on the player as soon as possible ? if i can download Sonicstage, where i can get it ?

thanks

2. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi,

1. Yes, You will be able to set the ATRAC bitrate (if You won't use automatic transfer initially, otherwise it's set to default 48kbps ATRAC3+). You can change everything in Settings ;)

2. The problem is (as far as I noticed) that encoding mp3 to ATRAC takes place only while transferring, so presence of Walkman is required :suicide: . There is Sonic Stage File Conversion Tool, which I find totally useless (don't know what to do with it). As only I try to launch it, it says, that there is no need to convert any files (wierd).

Anyway, if You have an opportunity to buy it, really cheap, do it without hesitation ;)

OT I sold my for 100 NW-HD1 :>

3. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the answers.

i have one more question. how long will it take to do around 2500 songs ?

4. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It depends, what kind of monster You have (PC)?

5. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMD 2000+(1.67ghz) 512 ram, 120gig hdd, ti4800se. running windows Xp.

6. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might pick up the player cheaper than the HD5/HD3 and have the upgrade done by sony and still save the money.

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    If you have the upgrade performed by Sony (costs £15.00 in the UK including return P&P) then you do not have to convert MP3's to ATRAC.

I personally prefer ATRAC myself but it is not mandatory that you convert post upgrade.

As you are buying secondhand it could be that the previous owner has already had the upgrade done.

I had on my player.

One other thing to remember about the NW-HD1, if you are buying one then be prepared to own it for the life of the device.

As the battery is not replaceable it will degrade over time. If the degradation is serious then you may not be able to resell it easily should you want to.

That's the only drawback of the NW-HD1 as far as I am concerned as it is a great looking well crafted device.

8. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Anthrax: so, it might take about an hour or two, I am not sure, but not really long, better option is to leave it overnight to be done ;)

9. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The software is not as bad as you read about. But like most things (unfortunately) is has its problems (there are just a few more than others).

One thing i recently discovered was that i couldnt find a way to transfer tracks that have been converted in sonicstage instead of the original tracks. E.g. Say I had an album in VBR mp3 (which can't be fast forwarded accurately and takes up more juice than atrac) and I wanted to convert it to atrac3plus 192kbps. If i choose in settings to convert all tracks to 192 and then transfer them, they dont actually convert but just go straight on as mp3, it says that any song with lower than chosen bitrate (192) will not be converted. Well thats great! I specifically wanted it to convert and it decides not to for me the stupid program.
    The reason the bitrate was lower is because it being variable bit rate, Sonicstage doesnt see that and just prints one of the bitrates in the song, probably from the start, which just happens to be lower than 192. So as it says it wont convert the VBR to Atrac.
    Now the problem begins, to convert the songs you open the album in the library and highlight them all, right click and press convert, choose the bitrate (192) and it takes a while to convert it. In the genius way that sonicstage views files that have two versions, there is no way (that I could find) to select to transfer the converted atrac files to the HD5 instead of the normal vbr mp3 files. What I had to do was to go to the sonicstage optimised files folder, find all the tracks from the album i transfered, delete the mp3 album from the library and import the atrac version of it. Then transfer that one (then delete it all).
    So half hour later i get my album on the HD5.
    Anyone know something I don't and can transfer the different (converted) versions of albums/songs instead of the one that was initially imported?

Oh yeah to get Sonicstage 3.2 (latest) then goto a sony web site (UK probably best) and under support or something just find the downloader. It is a little improved over the other versions and recommended, so you can start converting tracks.

Anyone can the the HD1 play the new ss3.2 bitrate of atrac3+ 192kbps like the hd5 can? If it can i suggest use that rate for the majority of your songs (if you rip them from cd or convert from mp3 at a good quality), the next rate down that works is only 64kbps, which does have a slight ring in the high notes (unless you find it ok then you can use it)

10. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, i think i might get it ($379 aus).

btw Sasso, i live in sydney also, upper north shore :hiya:

11. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice, I live in north west suburbs - Hills district :hiya:

Its alot cheaper now than before, they knocked a whole hundred off it, I got it for $420 and with connections.

I would probably get it instead of the HD1, there are a few things that have changed since then. But I would wait until the next gen of everything comes out, there are new ipods on the way which might have better sound, that would be the thing to get. There also might be a new HD from sony.

12. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just placed an order for the NW-HD1. cant wait for it to arrive. 30hrs battery, 20gig, very small, looks awesome. seems perfect, if it wasnt for sonicstage :rolleyes:

thanks for the help guys

13. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just found this, i want to know if this will happen to me. as i have 2,500 songs

"When I woke up in the morning I realised that only 300 out of all my songs had gone on their, I had apparently run out of "credits"

Let me explain this. After at least an hour on the Sony support call line I figured out that Song will only let your transfer music from your computer to your mp3 player 3 times. That's not over a period of times that's EVER. This was apparently to stop piracy so I found out, so you don't send the same song to multiple Sony units! I couldn't believe this, and basically I could only ever listen to songs I hadn't practice to transfer the day before!"

14. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Do you REALLY wan't to use that service and download songs from internet :confused:
    I have never downloaded music from internet legally and I won't! When I like certain songs I go to shop and buy CD, that's what I think most people do (especially in England, USA or Australia, where they CAN afford it).

Regards...

15. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am downloading more and more AND paying for it. I find it really usefull if for example if I only want 1 track from an album then I just get that track. Also if its an album I don't particularly want the artwork etc for and its cheap on CONNECT then I am downloading it. I have 100's of CD's and they are getting to be a pain to store. I can always make a copy on CD from the download.

SonicStage tells you how many times you can copy and transfer. Does anyone know what happens if you copy on to CD, delete from your player and sonicstage and then reintroduce the copied CD?

16. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Don't know about Sonic Stage and their author rights policies, but what is the point of downloading music of much worse quality than CD? I'd rather buy CD or borrow from friend to rip by myself :> IMHO it's senseless to record downloaded music on audio cd... If U like only one track, then keep on buying cds of various artists, like charts or sth, therefore U will find more than one track that will deserve ripping it ;)

Regards....

17. Anthrax

Anthrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not downloading music from the online shop thing. i already have all my CDs ripped as mp3's. i thought he was talking about mp3's he already had.