1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't decide on a CD player!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dAvE6, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be buying a NAD C370 integrated amp as the start of my stereo system. I demoed it today and was so impressed, not to mention relieved after the massive dissapointment of my denon 3802. So i've reverted to stereo rather than 5.1

But i need a matching cd player. The £400-£500 market is so crowded, that i don't know where to turn.

I want a warm sound, but also detailed and controlled. But not dull. Marantz reportedly do warm sounding players, but is there anything above the £300 S6000? I have £500 to spend and don't want to settle for a budget player when there could be more impressive stuff out there.

There's also the NAD 541i. Or maybe a rotel...or an arcam..

Please help.

Cheers:confused:

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Marantz CD6000 OSE KI SIGNATURE is a lovely player. Try demoing... I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Nad is pretty cool too.

But demo loads. It's the only way to make a decision.

And try moving this post to the Hi-Fi section.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    try demoing a Rega Planet, you may like it.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Arcam are always highly competitive is this part of the market.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what music you're into but I have a Rega Planet and love it. Demoed loads before I bought but the Planet just has a warm, natural sound that most other players don't seem too.

Either that or Arcam I'd say.

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just tried the new NAD 541i and it was very good. Will match your C370 too (if you care about such things....).

7. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was between the NAD 541i and the marantz s6000 OSE

I got the marantz as it sounded smoother and warmer on vocals. Got it for £250 too! Superb performance.

Finally i feel enthusiastic about my hi-fi after months of wasting money on home theatre.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree, there's something magical about getting your hi fi system sounding perfect and putting on a great album in the dark and just listening to it, closed eyes and all.

Somehow HC can't quite manage to achieve that feeling for me... which isn't to say it's worse, just different.

9. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, too right. And much less money/space too.

By the way, the marantz i went for: the S6000 OSLE. Is it much behind the signiture version? I couldn't tell much difference at all, and considering i was offered it for £250, i thought i'd go for it. It did get 5 stars in hi fi choice, but i'm slightly worried due to it's low price that i aimed too low. But then i get the impression it performs a bit ahead of it's price, much like the NAD amp.

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, don't let the price put you off, or the magazines, or what anyone else tells you... seems to me like you're more than happy with the sound and that's what counts.

I think pretty much everyone accepts that Marantz CD players are usually at least as good as others costing 50 to 100% more. There's also a widely held theory that a very good £200/£300 player can equal many £800/£900 players. Until you get into 2-box solutions or +£1000 CD players, a good £250 one should be a great 'bang for buck' purchase.

Actually, after posting my last message to this thread last night I actually went off and ended up trawling through my CD collection and putting on stuff I haven't listened to for (literally) years and LOVED every minute of it... I just can't imagine doing that with 2 or 3 old DVDs, not to the same extent anyway.

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dave I take it you have a DVD-V player still why not add an offboard DAC to your system, you will get more performance than adding an Int. CDP IMHO, that is if you have a transport to feed it at present. TAG are still doing factory refurbs of the wonderful DAC 20 for £365 with a 2 year return to factory warranty.

This in tandem with a DVD-V will blow away the Int. CDPs you mention above.

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=53

FWIW I find the DAC 20 is fantastic whilst watching DVD-V in 2 ch mode, Edit : my system is primarily for hifi but a DVD-V hooked up to a stereo amp is more than enough for my ears. The other benefit of the DAC 20 is that it deocdes up to 48khz so DVD is no problem. So I get the best of 2 channel stereo (more important to me) and still enjoy a wonderful sound from DVD that most people do know about.

Here is another thread about DACs you may like to read :

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=288

Long live good music dudes !!

HTHs Dude

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd go with an Arcam CD72T at this price point. Not a lot of competion to it, the Rega Planet is more expensive at £495 and has been left behind by the T version.