Can't decide between these screens

R

rabi_sultan

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a TV, mainly for my dad who watches a lot of tv in the late evening after getting back from work. My mum watches a lot in the daytime ( soaps etc :rolleyes: ) and so I was recommended by a friend to go with an LCD screen rather than a plasma as they watch channels on Sky that aren't HD nor do they watch any DVDs.

I then set a budget of £2000 and set about looking for a ~40" screen.

My same friend recommended that I should stick to one of either the Sony (quality) or a Toshiba (reliability) branded screen, how true this is I don't know so don't shoot the messenger :)

In any case the screens that I have earmarked as potential purchases are:
Toshiba 42WLT66
Sony KDL46S2010U
Philips 42PF7621D
Samsung LE-46M51B

Which of these are the best screen for me? Or are there other screens that I have not seen?

Advanced thanks for the help

I like the Samsung, but the Philips & Toshiba have 2x HDMI

I would try and stretch to the V series if you choose the Sony. I got my 40V2000 for £1600, the 46" was about £2200 at the time of purchase but may have gone down now.

Keep it between the Toshiba and the Sony because they both give you full control over the backlight.

The Sony has the advantage of storing different settings for each video input. I'm not 100% certain but I heard that the Toshiba doesn't have this convenient feature so the same brightness/sharpness/colour settings affect each video input.

But, as people said, it does have 2 HDMI inputs whereas Sony only has one.

rabi_sultan said:
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a TV, mainly for my dad who watches a lot of tv in the late evening after getting back from work. My mum watches a lot in the daytime ( soaps etc :rolleyes: ) and so I was recommended by a friend to go with an LCD screen rather than a plasma as they watch channels on Sky that aren't HD nor do they watch any DVDs.

I then set a budget of £2000 and set about looking for a ~40" screen.

My same friend recommended that I should stick to one of either the Sony (quality) or a Toshiba (reliability) branded screen, how true this is I don't know so don't shoot the messenger :)

In any case the screens that I have earmarked as potential purchases are:
Toshiba 42WLT66
Sony KDL46S2010U
Philips 42PF7621D
Samsung LE-46M51B

Which of these are the best screen for me? Or are there other screens that I have not seen?

Advanced thanks for the help

This is the best LCD your budget as the Sony V series has CCFL backligting and avoid S-IPS LCDs with overdrive (LG.Philips and Hitachi)

Nielo TM said:
This is the best LCD your budget as the Sony V series has CCFL backligting and avoid S-IPS LCDs with overdrive (LG.Philips and Hitachi)

why avoid sips tv-im a big fan of hitachi and the viewing angle in these sips panles is better than the spva panels?

azz

IPS is designed for static viewing. In another word, it's designed for photo editing, medical use and public displays because it has wider viewing angels and outstanding color quality but it's not suitable for compressed videos. Especially the ones converted from film to digital.

The S-IPS used by LG.Philips is poor as it has twinkling effect (overdrive), low contrast, poor viewing angles (black turns purple on odd angles) , strong afterglow etc... However, high quality S-IPS has outstanding color and viewing angles but that's not the case here.

S-IPS and overdrive is bad idea.

what do u mean by a twinkling effecy? they look fab to me....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom