Can't decide between Philips 42PFP5532D or Panasonic TH42PX7B

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by vanders, Jan 11, 2008.

1. vanders

vanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hi, my Samsung 28" CRT packed up yesterday after 9yrs. Unfortunately the Xmas presents took a big hit on my wallet and am having to use the Devils catalogue 'LXDIRECT' to buy a tv. I've managed to narrow it down to either:

Philips 42PFP5532D £649 or Panasonic TH42PX7B £699

Can you let me know your thoughts on them 'pro's & Con's etc'

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

2. The_1_And_Only

The_1_And_Only

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Personally i would go for the panny 42PX70, i think that PX7 is an older model but i stand to be corrected.

I think i have read a few people on here saying that you can get the panny for about £699 now from John Lewis through a price match with a 5 year warranty which is a very good deal indeed.

3. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I have the Philips and I am very pleased with it. Picture is great, although I havent got any HD sources to try.
    Out of the 2 I would say go for which ever has the longest guarantee. Both have great pictures.

4. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Panasonic PX70 and PX7 share the same 10th generation panell, but PX7 somehow has smaller contrast ratio of 8000:1. otherwise, PX7 has only one HDMI.

how they compare head to head regarding PQ is hard to tell:confused:

5. vanders

vanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It looks like it's 2 - 1 to Panasonic at the moment, lol

Thanks for the comments peepz, keep them coming

I plan on ordering 1 of them 2nite

6. gregmcquaid

gregmcquaid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I also have the philips 42" and i couldn't be any happier. Freeview on this screen looks very good indeed just as good if not better than the panny.

Blu-ray through the ps3 gives an amazing picture on this tv, watched apocalypto this morning and the opening scenes through the jungle had my jaw on the floor.

atb,
    Greg

7. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hi

Have a look at the threads

The PX 7 is a cut down version of the PX70 has less inputs and different stand

The 5532 has its own thread on this forum take a read

I couldnt say which to choose as ive never looked at either but have a bit of research

regards

8. vanders

vanders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well as fate has it after umming and arrrrring and doing some research for the past few days i decided to go with the Panasonic this evening, went online to get it and they sold out this evening, lol

So Philips it is, thanks for the replies guys. Lets hope it was a good fate :rotfl:

9. Sofa1

Sofa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    boy, aren't you fast:suicide:

i went out this evening and saw pictures on both Philips and Panasonic (in my country Panny is labeled as PV7).

what can i tell. Philips has grainy, noisy and washed out picture on some SD DVD (shop didn't have any HD material at the moment). at the same time, Panasonic SD picture was brilliant! sharp with vibrant colours, impresive black, more 3-D, and to be honest it is one of the best around. saw some Samsung around, but they're not even close to Panasonic either.

10. The_1_And_Only

The_1_And_Only

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You said above that you were internet buying your tv, play.com are showing them as in stock.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3330595/Panasonic-Viera-42-TH-42PX70PED-HD-Ready-Freeview-Plasma-TV/Product.html?cm_mmc=Pricegrabber-_-Electronics-_-LCD-_-Panasonic%2BViera%2B42%22%2BTH-42PX70PED%2BHD%2BReady%2BFreeview%2BPlasma%2BTV&source=5065&engine=pricegrabber_electronics&keyword=Panasonic+Viera+42%22+TH-42PX70PED+HD+Ready+Freeview+Plasma+TV

11. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear :nono:

12. Half_Empty

Half_Empty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Philips and to me the picure is excellent, very happy with it. Before xmas was all set for the Panasonic PX70 but went into JL and the picture on it was awful. Was obviously the feed but was the worst picture of any set and no amount of adjustment helped. Would probably still have gone for it but then saw the Philips and the picture was good, was cheaper and to my mind was a better looking set. Looking on the forums and the only people who seemed to put it down were the people who have just seen it in store, not those who actually own it. That was also a key factor in my decision.

13. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That’s because most of the people here are Panny & Pio owners, I still think is a personal choice & value for money that makes a lot of people’s decision to buy. Sure the forums are good for narrowing down your choice but at the end of the day it’s still what you perceive as good PQ at the right price.