Quantcast

Question Can't decide between Oculus Rift S and Oculus Quest

eb_oculus-decision-3.png

As you can see by the image above, each has its own good points!

Linus seemed to prefer the Rift S in January:

Which would be best to play the PC version of Beat Saber? (i.e. a game that needs a high response time)

thesnowdog

Personally I'd go for the Rift S instead of the Quest purely down to how much more comfortable it is to wear and because of the eye relief. But if you have a big head or a small head then you may have problems with the IPD adjustment being software based instead of having a manual physical adjustment. But I've had two of my friends with an IPD of 58 and 60 not having any problems, and I've seen plenty of people online with an IPD on both extreme ends of the scale that haven't had any problems either. I think it comes down to the shape of your face or head.

Your best bet would be to try both out, there's a page on the Oculus website that tells you where the nearest place is to get a demo of them here:

After buying the Rift S I might not bother getting a Rift 2 if it doesn't have the same Halo head strap and eye relief that the Rift S has. There really is THAT much difference.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Like OP says neither one is a slam dunk. For me personally it would be quest because I fancy trying some outdoors vr (note it is limited , lighting has be be just right) and because I have a large IPD.

The riftS edges it overall I think if you *just* want pcvr.....IF my CV1 Packed up tomorrow I dunno what I would do.... (Possibly index but that was not an option in OP)

I think snowdog is right. Try before you buy. 72hz worries me for fast stuff

Personally I'd go for the Rift S instead of the Quest purely down to how much more comfortable it is to wear and because of the eye relief. But if you have a big head or a small head then you may have problems with the IPD adjustment being software based instead of having a manual physical adjustment. But I've had two of my friends with an IPD of 58 and 60 not having any problems, and I've seen plenty of people online with an IPD on both extreme ends of the scale that haven't had any problems either. I think it comes down to the shape of your face or head.

Your best bet would be to try both out, there's a page on the Oculus website that tells you where the nearest place is to get a demo of them here:

After buying the Rift S I might not bother getting a Rift 2 if it doesn't have the same Halo head strap and eye relief that the Rift S has. There really is THAT much difference.
Like OP says neither one is a slam dunk. For me personally it would be quest because I fancy trying some outdoors vr (note it is limited , lighting has be be just right) and because I have a large IPD.

The riftS edges it overall I think if you *just* want pcvr.....IF my CV1 Packed up tomorrow I dunno what I would do.... (Possibly index but that was not an option in OP)

I think snowdog is right. Try before you buy. 72hz worries me for fast stuff
The nearest demo location is 120 miles (two hours) from me, unfortunately.

Sounds like the Rift S is the way to go. Plus, I wouldn't have to buy the £80 fibre cable for the Quest 👍

Thank you, both!

OK I vote Quest - I did the same thing trying to decide between them a couple of months ago and I am glad I have the Quest now BUT I havent owned a Rift S to compare so I cannot comment on difference.
I am finding that the quest is not uncomfortable and the manual IPD cannot be stressed enough how much that makes a difference for me (I have a low IPD so maybe this is more imporant to me)

I use a £8 - yes thats 8 not 80 quid cable to link to my gaming PC and it works lovely. no need for the offical one at all. I play around 70% linked games and 30% Quest ones.

I have beat sabre for the Quest so no cables needed at all and that is the way to play it and its ace as I can take it to a friends house or on holiday (in the UK) which my Son loves.

Personally all the refresh rates and screen types ment very little in the end, I use the quest more than I would use a Rift due to its wireless nature and its fun which is what I wanted not to have something with better specs.

kenshingintoki

I owned both. The Rift S has a clearer image, slightly better glasses support and a slightly better but still rubbish refresh rate and much less SDE.

The Quest has better built in sound, better contrast, better blacks a better FOV, physical IPD for the shaprest image for your eyes, a simpler more classy design, has a portable use-case for films/superhot/high mobility or huge playspace games, a thinner more lighter cable for PC tethering, wireless options which will likely become more popular when oculus release some native wifi adapter.. and is overall just the better product.

Its very obvious without reading the Lenovo badge on the Rift S that its made by Lenovo, whilst the Quest is a purely Oculus product.

I am however one of the few who find the quest very comfortable (maybe cos i work out and am hench so my neck is strong).

I'd get a Quest as the Rift S's black level is very pathetic and ruined Lone Echo for me and its the better more well built versatile product. I'd almost actually rather play Vader Immortal on my Quest than the Index at times due to the incredible black level, just to put things into perspective, if it wasn't for the fact that the touch controllers feel a bit ancient compared to Index ones.

If you REALLY like PCVR, then save up for an Index at a later date.

Outside of clarity, I don't think theres much in regards to tangible differences that the rift s offers (debatable comfort, the 8hz is meh, the increased tracking space is meh as the quest is already ace). If your senstitive to refresh rate, neither the quest or Rift S are acceptable for fast games. if ur sensitive to sde, then the Rift S is a great option but I find the LCD panel on the Rift S is pathetic and possibly must be the worst in class panel used for colours (i know vive, vive pro, cv1, quest, index, reverb and odyssey all have better panels than the crap in the rift s).

Credientials: Owned a Rift S, Quest and Index.

and dont get the oculus link cable. just buy a cheap amzon one and connect it to the FRONT of ur PC. a rift S has to be connected to the BACK and go all the way round so the extra length of the Rift S is kindof negated to a degree by the fact it has to stop farther away whilst the link cable can be connected from a USB port at the FRONT of ur PC.

The Quest will also hold its re-sale value way better than the Rift S. The Rift S has already received a price cut and will likely receive another one soon as it really is a cheaply built product and is obvious from the moment you buy it and take it out of the box. really reminds me of a PSVR (in a good way, it feels cheap but durable whilst the Index feels expensive but not as robust.. The quest due to its simple design feels VERY robust too).

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Oh yeah and being able to play superhot in my garden or in an empty gym room is 1000000% better than what superhot is like on my Index @120hz with finger tracking (forget the Rift S even) cos you can actually run, sprint, duck, and not worry at all about the cable or things in your way. It opens up crazy possibilities.

Similarly for beat saber u can do 360 beat saber.

and sports games oyu can actually.. u know play tennis.

Sandra51

a rift S has to be connected to the BACK and go all the way round so the extra length of the Rift S is kindof negated to a degree by the fact it has to stop farther away whilst the link cable can be connected from a USB port at the FRONT of ur PC.
I just bought a 2 metre USB 3 extension lead and 2 metre display port extension lead from Kenable for £8.95 including delivery, and plugged them into the ports at the back of my computer so that I can quickly and easily connect and disconnect my Rift S without moving my computer and it works fine with them.

kenshingintoki

I just bought a 2 metre USB 3 extension lead and 2 metre display port extension lead from Kenable for £8.95 including delivery, and plugged them into the ports at the back of my computer so that I can quickly and easily connect and disconnect my Rift S without moving my computer and it works fine with them.

I think you've missed my point but it wasn't the ease of plugging in the Quest vs the Rift S

(although no matter how anyone sells it, the Quest is infinitely easier to plug in).

I personally used to just keep my Rift S plugged in and I keep my Index plugged in at present all the time cos its a wired headset which without a PC is a paper weight. The Quest isn't which is a big pro.

Sandra51

I was referring to your comment about it needing to be plugged in at the back of the computer which negated the advantage of the longer lead somewhat.

I don't use mine frequently enough to justify leaving it connected all the time so the ease of connecting and disconnecting the headset from the computer was my main reason for the extension cable as I only use it when seated anyway.

kenshingintoki

I was referring to your comment about it needing to be plugged in at the back of the computer which negated the advantage of the longer lead somewhat.

I don't use mine frequently enough to justify leaving it connected all the time so the ease of connecting and disconnecting the headset from the computer was my main reason for the extension cable as I only use it when seated anyway.

My point isn't about it being plugged into the back of the computer.

It was trying to refer to cable length. The Rift S commonly is plugged into the back of the PC so the actual height of the PC tower and then depth of the tower reduces some of the length of the cable which would normally allow extra mobility across a room.

However the USB cable used for a Quest can just be plugged into the front I/O ports of the PC. Therefore you are afforded a bit of extra cable which would otherwise have to travel across the hight and then depth of the PC.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Out of curiosity why can't the rift s be plugged in in the same way? Surely front usb just go to the main board usb header so is much the same?
Edit
DOH! Pre coffee please ignore..... Rift s is not usb. Sorry what a doofus

dollag

Sorry, can you provide links to the exact ones as you confirmed work ok?

Mauch appreciated

sorry for the off topic

Sandra51

Sorry, can you provide links to the exact ones as you confirmed work ok?
DisplayPort Male to Female Digital Monitor Extension Cable Gold 2m
Price£4.38

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Extension Cable Type A Male to Female BLUE 2m
Price£2.49

It looks like the price has gone up a little now, but not by much as this is my order from 3rd March

PRODUCTQUANTITYUNIT PRICETOTAL PRICE
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Extension Cable Type A Male to Female BLUE 2m
Reference: 003404
1£1.98£1.98
DisplayPort Male to Female Digital Monitor Extension Cable Gold 2m
Reference: 004855
1£3.48£3.48
Subtotal£6.56
Shipping and handling£2.39
Total£8.95

huxley

After having owned each Oculus headset and now owning an Index. I would recommend trying out an Index if you can before making your purchase.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
If I were to be starting from scratch, I would hands-down buy the Oculus Quest as a first unit. Untethered VR is like nothing else. However, I would also be saving up for a “serious” headset in the meantime. And I would probably plumb for the Index. I currently have a Rift S, and am delighted with the performance of it for the price it costs. However, I am acutely aware that the Index offers a better experience, but at a premium price. I will own one in the non too distant future. If I survive this bloody pandemic that is 😳

thesnowdog

I'm refusing to buy an Index because of Valve's blatant price gouging. It's bloody disgraceful. The headset only price is about right but they're taking the piss with their pricing of the base stations and Index controllers.

I could have afforded one without a problem but I'm not going to encourage such disgraceful behaviour by giving them my money.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I dunno. If I didn't have a headset and was looking to buy from scratch the index would be tempting me . that is a totally different propositionto the OP However. I am just glad I have a CV1 and more games than I have time to play. Hopefully by the time I am ready to upgrade there will be more options. The fact that valve can't make them quick enough tells me the price is acceptable . Once they have standing stock I expect there will be offers but until then, why would they cut the price?

huxley

I'm refusing to buy an Index because of Valve's blatant price gouging. It's bloody disgraceful. The headset only price is about right but they're taking the piss with their pricing of the base stations and Index controllers.

I could have afforded one without a problem but I'm not going to encourage such disgraceful behaviour by giving them my money.
Your loss mate :thumbsdow

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Index or Quest.

The Rift S is just a bit cheap and trashy. It has far too many cons of a CV1 Rift (forget about comparing it to an Index). Its the only VR headset I've ever bought where I felt like I got ripped off

Credentials:
Owned CV1, Rift S, Index, Quest.
Played with for substantial period of time: Vive

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett