Can't connect to WHS

• Thread starter Deleted member 581726
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 581726

Problem:
I can ping my server IP and server name. I can also access the files and folders on my laptop and on my iMac through explorer and finder. However, I cannot connect to the server through WHS connector.

I have listed everything I have tried, the list is long but to no avail.

PC – Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM
iMac – OSX 10.5.8, 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM
Server – Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 Home Server

Thanks for your help.

Error:
This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

Solutions tried:
Reinstall WHS connector from " \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software"
• Uninstalled successfully
• Reinstalled
• Asked for password
o Cannot connect at this time.
• Uninstalling WHS connector

and

changed hosts file to include: 192.168.1.68 ASPIREHOME # Windows Home Server

and

• Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Security Options
• Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
o Send LM & NTLM responses
• Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
o Disable Require 128-bit encryption

and

removed openDNS

and

can connect via
• Start
• Run
• Mstsc
• But certificate errors
o The server name on the certificate is incorrect.
o A revocation check could not be performed for the certificate.
o The certificate or associated chain is invalid (Code: 0x10000)
• Then errors in RDC
o To log onto this computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually.

And

Stopped firewall

And

Tried to install Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1 but it is 32-Bit only.
Installed virtual XP machine but that didn’t work but still couldn't install Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1.

Can we assume that the home server can connect with the internet, I assume so.
Assuming you are running WHS V1 (32 Bit) or is it WHS 2011 (64bit)
The connector software is available from a local PC by clicking on Network and you should see in other devices Homeserver. Access thye connextor software from this point. the disc you have could be out of date.

You need to setup a remote desktop connection:
On the Win 7 pc go to

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Remote Desktop connection

In the dialogue box that now comes up enter the name or IP address of your server, then click connect,

you should now be asked for security credentials, enter the user name and password you use to log onto your server

you should now see your server desktop

@Andy
I am not sure if it is connected to the internet, I assume it is not. I double click on the server in the network tab in explorer. It opens up a webpage (http://aspirehome/upnp/welcome.aspx?) but is unable to connect to the webpage.

I do not know what version of WHS it is running. I bought it new in Jan 2011. The disks it came with say Version 1.1 Rev. 1.

@Maxwell
I tried that and and it comes back with this error: To log onto this computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually.

Thanks

when you tried to setup the remote desktop connection were you using the Adminstrator logon details ?
Also do you have a monitor and keyboard on the server ?

Yes, I was using admin detail.

I do not have a monitor or keyboard for the server. I don't think there is anywhere to plug a monitor in anyway, there are just USB, eSATA and Ethernet ports on the back.

You have Windows Home Server V1, some say the better version.

If you have connected everything up correctly you should see the home server in your network from any PC. There should not be any special passwords etc.
From a WIN 7 PC you should see in Network other devices the server. By double clicking on the Server icon it should launch the connector software. If I remember the connector software should ask for a password, so if you did not set one up then the instructions should advise a password to use.

Just read this link http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2...er-aspire-easystore-h340-windows-home-server/ it may help you.

Last edited:
@Andy
I am not sure if it is connected to the internet, I assume it is not. I double click on the server in the network tab in explorer. It opens up a webpage (http://aspirehome/upnp/welcome.aspx?) but is unable to connect to the webpage.

try http://192.168.1.68/upnp/welcome.aspx?

When setting up the WHS did you configure the IP Address yourself or choose automatic configuration ?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=1879
Useful doc for remote access.

Last edited:
@Andy
I can always see the mapped drives on the NAS but I can only sometimes seethe actual NAS in the Network folder. When it does appear, double clicking it does not launch any software, it just takes me to http://aspirehome/upnp/welcome.aspx? which cannot be found.

When I tried to manually install the connector software, it could not find my server and cancelled the installation.

@maf1970
I tried substituting the server IP for the name but it still cannot be found.

I cannot remember if I chose the IP manually or not. I assume it is automatic as it has changed twice since I have had it (for no reason).

Thanks for the links.

Have you tried re-running the CD that came with the server as that should set everything up for you as long as the server is on the network.
Also go into your router and place the server into the DMZ temporarily, its possible that the required port for remote admin is being blocked

When I tried to rerun the CD, the setup could not find the server and cancelled installation.

As for DMZ, my router does not support it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom