Can't connect to the internet iMac G4

ben flip

Standard Member
I need lots of help please, I know nothing abouts macs.

I have an old G4 1Ghz, I did have it connected to the internet via ethernet. In it's new location I need to connect via wireless. I purchased from ebay an original Airport Extreme card (g). My ISP is BT and I use a HOMEHUB3. Internet connect shows connected to bthub3-..., the menu bar shows I am connected with a strong signal. When I click on Safari it says You are not connected to the internet.

There is no security software loaded on the machine and there are no other wireless devices in the house.

I only use the machine for music and only want to access the internet for updates and iTunes.

Any ideas would have to be spelt out as I don't know my way around this lovely looking machine.

Many thanks

ben flip

Standard Member
Thanks CamFire but I have no idea what you are talking about,

You need to explain what HH is and how to configure a b n

you are talking to a 69 year old idiot

but thanks for the reply

SUMMONER

Click the Apple in the top left corner, then System Preferences, followed by Network.
Location should be Automcatic, select Airport and look for a tab called TCP/IP (you may have to click configure before you can see it).

Under configure it should say using DHCP and the IP/router addresses should have filled themselves in (ie: 192.168.0.254 for the router address).

If they haven't filled themselves in remove the wireless network from the list, restart the Mac and add it again.

Last edited:

spudtator

I have a vague recollection of something like this. I think you may have to change the security settings in the router to WAP instead of WPA. To do this you would need to physically connect your Mac to the router.

anorax25

I have a vague recollection of something like this. I think you may have to change the security settings in the router to WAP instead of WPA. To do this you would need to physically connect your Mac to the router.

I've done this recently on a friend's G4 and if memory serves, you have to get a software update for the G4's wireless card. I found it on the Apple site. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link.

The update allows you to then choose the encryption type.

anorax25

Try here... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218 for things to try.
Are Wi-Fi base station firmware Updates installed automatically?

No. Wi-Fi base station firmware updates will not be installed without your interaction.

How can I adjust when AirPort Utility will check for updates?

Open AirPort Utility.
Choose AirPort Utility from the Menu bar.
Select Preferences.
Check Check for Updates: and select when you wish to check for updates.

Haven't been able to find the exact file yet.

ben flip

Standard Member
Moderator sent me a private message but I can't get back to it to thank him. Moferator very much appreciate your advice, Thank you.

And thanks to all the above members for their advice, unfortunately my wife has a list of must do's for today which does not include messing around with my mac. I will try them this evening, thank you all

ben flip

Standard Member
Problem solved thanks to Summoner. I checked all my settings as Summoner suggested and they were all OK. I then turned off the Airport Card and rebooted turned on the airport card and I had the internet. Amazing and so simple. Thanks to everyone for their time and thoughts a Very Merry Christmas to you all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom