Can't connect PS3 using ADSL modem - help please!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Mikeybloo, May 6, 2007.

1. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Total noob to all this sort of thing, posted last week about how best to connect my PS3 to Internet, concluded I needed to get an ADSL ethernet modem and Mickus gave me guidance on how to set the connection settings in the PS3. I've since got a Linksys AM200 modem and connected it all up, followed the advice to input my PPPoE stuff etc, but when I press Test Connection, it can't get an IP address, I keep getting a timed out message. All my green lights are on on my modem which I think indicate I've got a good ethernet and DSL connection?

Have also tried using the modem with my PC. I currently connect using a USB Speedtouch modem to Wanadoo/Orange broadband. I disconnect that, and plug the AM200 into an ethernet port on my PC (at least i think it is an ethernet port, there are 2 of them and the ethernet cable fits them perfectly, but I've no idea how to check whats connected to a port using control panel). Again, I get all my green lights on, indicating good ethernet, DSL and Internet connection, but I don't know how to get my browser (IE) to use this modem to connect to the net. Do I need to set up a new Internet Connection? But I can't see the new ethernet modem as an option to choose.

With the modem there were some instructions about configuring the modem (if using a PC) but it seems to say you need an internet connection before you can configure it and I can't get a connection so how do I configure it.

Sorry, this is getting way too long, God, all I want to do is get my PS3 connected but i'm way out of my depth with this modem stuff. Anyone got any ideas, based on this useless explanation of my problem.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Have you configured the modem? (presumably not as you talk about it not working in IE so you haven't been into the web config). Talk to your ISP about configuration details as it varies... they may have specific help for that modem. If they don't talk to the shop you bought it off. (You mention PPPoE - does your ISP support that? The standard for the UK is PPPoA although many support the other these days it's worth checking).

Your PC and PS3 will just work automatically once the modem is plugged in - nothing to configure, providing the modem is at its normal defaults. PS3 should be on automatic configuration and the PC will be anyway.

(IMO the AM200 is a poor choice in your situation as it is not a router only a modem. You'll still only be able to connect one device at a time unless you buy a separate router).

Also IMO you should forget about getting it working on the PS3 until you have it working on the PC. There are just too many variables otherwise.

3. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks Tony. No I haven't configured the modem as I can't figure out how to get to the web config. I think I've plugged it into the correct ethernet port on the Pc but I don't know how to get my browser to use this modem (instead of my previous Orange supplied USB modem) to connect to the net - the modem may be working fine but I just don't know how to get my browser to use it.. I don't know how to check if my ethernet port is even working as I've never used ethernet before. I only mention PPPoE as that's what I was told to use on the PS3 connections. I chose the AM200 as I don't need to connect 2 devices at one time, this seemed simplest (!!) and avoid routers.

I'll try to get it working on the PC first like you say.

cheers

4. cracker

cracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    somewhere in your modem's manual it should tell you how to access the config pages, usually it gives you an IP address to type in to internet explorer to access the modem config

e.g something like 192.168.1.1 but obviously its different for each brand of modem

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    PPPoE is a protocol used in the US. Over here it's PPPoA only. I would also agree that modem is not a good choice and you would have been better off buying a router with built in modem like the Netgear DG834 or the wireless DG834G.

6. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cracker, yes it does give me that IP address which you state, however, when I put it into IE, IE can't connect to the net (as I've disconnected my other USB modem and so have no link to the net) to access the modem config page. How do i get IE to use the new modem as it's link to the net, this is my problem, I don't know how to find the new modem and tell IE to start using it. Sorry, I know this is getting off PS3.

7. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    You're not connecting to the net only the local modem, which should happen automatically.

Is your ethernet card connected and working? Drivers for that installed, etc.? Check the network connections folder for an item called 'local area connection'.

8. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Tony, I've never done anything with ethernet, so if a card is there it will have come with the PC. When i look in network connections, it shows me 2 LAN connections. One is called Local Area Connection 2, and says Marvell Yukon 880...(with a big string of numbers) and says this is connected, the other says 1394 net adapter connected. I don't see anything which relates to Linksys AM200 ADSL modem which might mean the PC has not recognised the modem (or maybe I'm not using the right port, but these must be ethernet ports as the cable fits them). I have the AM200 plugged in ethernet port 1.

All the lights are on on the modem, which suggests PC has made a connection, but I don't know how to tell or get it to try dialling the net. Can't get through to Linksys support or Orange support, but will keep trying.. thanks for your attempts to help.

9. mitch909

mitch909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mikeybloo.........I think that you may have got the Modem plugged into the wrong port.....1394 is a firewire port as fare as I know.......And its the "Marvell Yukon 880" that is an ethernet adapter......Try plugging the modem into the port that says "Marvell Yukon 880" and then type in the IP address again........Unless you have already tried this.......When it is plugged into the correct port I would have expected the Found New Hardware wizard to pop up.......But I am not sure about that ,as I have never used an Ethernet Modem before.......
    Also make sure you are using the correct cable to connect the PC to the Modem....I.e. Patch or Crossover.....It should tell you in the stuff that came with the modem which type of cable to use.........

10. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Mitch909 and thanks, have tried both ports, the modem is def connected to PC OK, as when I unplug it, the Marvell yukon bit says disconnected, when I plug modem in again it says connected so that seems OK. Its the bit when I open IE and type the IP address, a box comes up which asks "connect or work offline", when I say connect it tries to use my existing Speedtouch USB modem which is what I use to connect to Orange broadband - as this modem is not connected, obviously it says it can't find the web page I need to config the modem.

And no, the Found new hardware wizard has never popped up, which makes me think the PC is not looking correctly for the new modem in the ethernet port. How do I get it to find the new modem?

All this just to get a blasted games console to work on-line!!

11. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    OK it sounds like your USB modem install has forced IE to use that and that alone, thus breaking it for other uses..

Go into internet explorer, options, connections and select 'never dial a connection'.

Also from there go into 'LAN settings' and make sure the 3 checkboxes are all unchecked (they should be, but it sounds like the installer for the USB modem has been modifying system settings so it is best to check).

You never get any kind of found new hardware for ethernet. It doesn't need it - it's completely seamless (or should be). Plus of course it wouldn't work - you could be connecting to a network with thousands of machines and dozens of routers.. if it came up with 'found new hardware' for every one of them you'd be at it for weeks!!!

12. Mikeybloo

Mikeybloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Tony Hoyle, you're a genius, I write this to you using my newly connected and working ADSL modem. Cheers mate for your patience and advice, now the modem is configured, let's see if I can get the PS3 to like it. See you online (maybe!)