Question Can't connect multiple monitors

dani33

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a HP Elitebook 8770W with an nVidia Quadro K3000M graphics card and Windows 10 as the OS. I recently got a second monitor and was trying to make a two monitor (and the laptop screen as a third) setup. I used VGA on my old monitor and had a HDMI to DVI cable for the new one. Because my laptop only has VGA and DisplayPort, i got a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I connected everything and it worked fine. But then, i disconnected the signal cables and switched them (moved the VGA to the monitor which previously had the DVI and vice-versa). After that, only whichever monitor was connected via the VGA cable worked. I got another VGA cable and a docking station and connected the monitors using two VGA cables. Still, only the one that I connected using the old cable worked. All cables and ports (in the laptop and the docking station) were tested with other laptops and monitors and they all work. I also tried updating the graphics drivers, making a clean driver installation, uninstalling the graphics drivers from device manager and reinstalling (via Device Manager and manually). Nothing worked. Still, I was only able to connect one monitor (whichever one of the two) using my old VGA cable. Whenever I connect one of the monitors using another cable, it turns on as if it's getting a signal, but then it displays the "no signal" screen and goes into standby. Other monitors work and I even connected two at once (to make sure my laptop could still connect to more that one monitor). Any suggestions? I thought maybe the monitors are the issue, but I can't seem to figure out how. The monitors are LG IPS235 and Benq DL2215.

Other monitors work and I even connected two at once (to make sure my laptop could still connect to more that one monitor). Any suggestions?

Using exactly the same cables, connections and adaptors?

Most likely cause from your description is that your HDMI to DVI cable has broken and you've connected the other monitors via DP or HDMI.

If it's not that then it does seem odd. It can't be screen specific settings or they wouldn't be interchangeable but if it's not screen specific then why are the other screens working?

I guess windows (and the display drivers?) must store a profile relating to each set of screens connected so perhaps something has gone wrong in that, but that would required it be keyed to connection and something those screens have in common but the rest don't. Size and resolution maybe? Were any of the other screens the same FHD 21.5"?

You could try something like Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure all the configuration files from the nVidia drivers are gone.

Using exactly the same cables, connections and adaptors?
Yes, I tested all cables separately.

You could try something like Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure all the configuration files from the nVidia drivers are gone.
Thanks for the tip. However, it didn't work. After reinstalling the drivers, only the monitor connected via my old VGA cable worked, just as before.

So, again, thanks for the effort. Unfortunately, I am still only able to use one monitor.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom