1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant choose btween pioneer 320 and panny e65

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stolt, Sep 15, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    been looking at recorders for months and I still cant decide, I've finally decided on two models the panny 65 and the pioneer 320, are there any differencies between the two, I want to be able to record from sky to disc and also the most important tsfr my DV tapes to disc, I've read the pionner has in and out dv editing which i dont think I'll use well not straight away but seems useful to have, can any one reccomend either of these over the other.

Would like a simple machine to use not too many menus so the wife can use aswell.

thanks for taking the time for reading this post

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The benefits of the Panasonic over the Pioneer are:
    - PC and SD Card slots
    - 3h full resolution recording (as opposed to 2hrs 20mins)
    - 2 channel DVD-Audio
    - Component out
    - Progressive scan

The benefits of the Pioneer 320 over the Panasonic are:
    - DVD-RW (Video Mode)
    - iLink in/out

Overall the Panasonic is the superior machines - what stops some people going for the Panasonic though is that it's re-writeable DVDR format is DVD-RAM - a great format that allows editting, timeslip, playlists etc but which is incompatible with most other DVD players.

By contrast the Pioneer records to DVD-RW - you can either use VR mode (which offers the same features as DVD-RAM but is also incompatible with other DVD players) or 'Video' mode which doesn't allow any editting/features but probably will play on other DVD players. It is for this DVD-RW Video mode which somepeople are prepared to accept the reduced features of the Pioneer.

Both Panasonic and Pioneer machines record to DVD-R - a format that doesn't allow editting but will play on almost any DVD player.

What may make the Pioneer a better option for you is iLink in/out (as opposed just in on the Panasonic). This will allow you to dub to your DVD recorder in VR mode, edit, dub back to your camcorder and the dub back to your DVD recorder in Video mode. Not an ideal process (you'd better off with a HDD/DVDR if you want to make editted recordings) but a possible bonus of the Pioneer for you.

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the detailed reply, my main use will be to record my dv tapes to disc to ensure I've understand correctly they are both as good as each other to record to disc (-R) that is playable on other dvd players, I want to be able to give the recordings to other people. I dont think I'd use the editing features of the pioneer that much so not a major problem if I dont have it.

I guess both would also allow me to record from sky aswell?

thanks

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes - both will do this - although obviously the 3hr full resolution of the Panasonic gives it an advantage over the Pioneer.

Yes.

5. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rascak, thank for the replies they really help, unfortunatley I should stop reading these threads, I've give myself another dilema, the Tosh rdx32 this gets very good write ups, is it worth me speanding that extra for the Hardrive, if I could keep the machine for a few years I think it would, I;m convinced the panny 65 would be better for me over the pioneer 320 but now not sure about the tosh and whether tis worth me spending the extra.
    thanks

also I see on another thread you mentioned that you can pick up the panny 65 for £270 I;ve googled it but cheapest I can find is £299, where is the best place to shop?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The price on the E65 has been slowly creeping up: supply and demand I suppose. The cheapest now seems to be £290 on Pricerunner.

If you want to make editted recordings that are compatible with other DVD players then go for a HDD/DVDR combo such as the Toshiba RDXS32 or Panasonic E85. The benefit of such machines is that the HDD acts like a DVD-RAM disk, i.e. you can edit, re-arrange stuff, timeslip etc, but then you can dub your recordings to DVD-R which will then play on (virtually) any DVD player.

If you can afford to push the budget go for a HDD/DVDR combo - no doubt about it.

7. wharfman

wharfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide either what machine to go for, can you please explain the full resolution for 3 hours and 2 hours 20 minutes please :confused:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Wharfman,
    I explained yesterday in this thread (scroll down to Post #17). Can you read through that and if you still have questions I will happily expand.

9. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rascak, many thanks again, I think I'm going to do as you suggest and buy the hdr combo, in the past I've bought cheap equipment and ended up regrettting it or buying better a year later. Now best place to buy the tosh.

10. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice. :smashin: If you get a DVD-only recorder you’ll regret it in a few weeks time and wish you’d have bought a HDD/DVD combo. So it’s cheaper in the long term anyway! ;)

Enjoy it.

OARDVD

11. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oardvd that my logical thinking (and the missus seems to agree) I think I've bored her into submission on the subject, as I said in the past I've bought cheaper models just because they are cheaper and they always end up being sold and something slightly better bought not long after, besides I've not had a new gadget for a while (well the ipod no longer has the attention factor).

thanks for everyones help.