1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant change channel on SKy+ with Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by zatai, Jun 15, 2005.

1. zatai

zatai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, set up my media center for the first time yesterday, everything has gone smoothly except the fact that i dont seem to be able to change my sky+channels with the media center remote.

i have double checked my set up and have definately attached the IR cable from the remote receiver and placed the "red eye" in front of the IR receiver on the sky + box but nothing happens!

when i go through the set up procedure, it says that is has "learnt" my sky+ remote control ( i have re-done it several times using just the 0 button and then all the buttons) but when it comes to changing the channel in the test area it doesnt respond.

out of 100 times it did it twice but no matter how much i play around with it i cant get it to work,

so my answer is am i missing something here or is the ir cable perhaps not compatible with my sky+ box as the media center remote works fine with everything else.

1 thing i have noticed is that there is no red light on the red eye when i press any buttons which i thought seemed odd?

if someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Had a very similar problem and found that I had the IR wand plugged into the wrong channel - two sockets on back pane one for each of two analogue tuners. It should flash red when working.

Hope you get it working but I found it very flaky (and ugly) so bought a rf2 link from http://www.keshelectrics.co.uk/

3. zatai

zatai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that -does the rf2 unit plug directly into the sky + box then from the windows media remote receiver? i think i will go with that option as there seems to be a lot of posts saying the ir cable is unreliable.

in the mean time i will check to see if i am using thr ight connection like you said!

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It isa little dongle that plugs into the second RF output on the sky+,the lead from it plugs into the IR blaster port on the PC. It uses the functionality for controlling the sky box from another TV. Works well but WME must be able to issue the right commands. It looks a lot better than an IR wand stuck to the front of the Sky+!

Reagrds
    Chris

5. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry to drag this out the dark but...

i cant get mine working changing channels etc and was going to puchase one of the rf2 links but then thought i have a sky gnome and magic eye so there is a lot coming from this rf2 link can it handle it?

also im using the phono outs for the gnome and the s-video for the mce but currently have no sound as the phonos are being used already whats the best thing to do?

thanks

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Are you sure that you have the IR bug stuck on the fronmt of the Sky+ in the correct place? It needs to be on the right looking from the front.

I find the Sky+ box much more reliable when changing channels than the Panasonic standard digibox that I had previously. It is also far less picky about IR bug placement.

Incidentally I have tried the rf2 link which changed channels very reliably but prevented any recordings being made. Others have reprted the same problem.

7. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I must check my Pace box when I get home but I have stuck the IR bug on the right as I couldn't get it to work on the left. It works 100% reliably so I am not going to move it! I was going to take the lid off but discovered that it is screwed together with security torx screws for which I didn't have a bit.