Can't change bit rate for speakers in Windows 10

deans6571

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
On my Windows 10 laptop, when I go to Sound Control Panel and right click my speakers and then choose Properties, I get this :

1594021714587.png

....so you can see that the dropdown box on the far right is greyed out??

On my Windows 7 machine, this same option is not greyed out and so I can change the options but on my Windows 10 machine, its not giving me the option??

What hardware is your Windows 7 machine? My old MSI running Windows 10 with Realtek hardware has the option available to change from 16 bit 44.1 all the way through to 24/192, so my guess it's a hardware / driver thing rather than Windows 7.

TBH, it makes very little difference unless the hardware on your laptop is 24 bit. The majority of headphone outputs are only 16 bit in any case.

What hardware is your Windows 7 machine? My old MSI running Windows 10 with Realtek hardware has the option available to change from 16 bit 44.1 all the way through to 24/192, so my guess it's a hardware / driver thing rather than Windows 7.

TBH, it makes very little difference unless the hardware on your laptop is 24 bit. The majority of headphone outputs are only 16 bit in any case.

..my windows 7 machine is very old spec - I only looked on the windows 7 machine to see if it gave me the option to change this (which it did).

I just don't understand why my windows 10 laptop (Lenovo Idealpad c340) has this same option greyed out?

Do I need to install anything??

Those are the settings for the particular output of your laptop's audio device that's connected to the speakers.

I'd only expect it to show the options that the laptop audio device's drivers tell windows that it supports.

It's not a general system-wide setting about which audio formats applications can deal with.

Those are the settings for the particular output of your laptop's audio device that's connected to the speakers.

I'd only expect it to show the options that the laptop audio device's drivers tell windows that it supports.

It's not a general system-wide setting about which audio formats applications can deal with.

...ok thanks for that - so are you saying there is no way for me to change these options then?

The reason I'm asking is purely because I installed Forza Horizon 4 on my Lenovo Idealpad c340, and it runs fine other than the sound which keeps breaking up. After Googling the issue, it seems that the fix is to change the sampling rate to something else but obviously, I am unable to do this because the option is greyed out....

:(

....managed to find a workaround - connected a bluetooth headset which then gave different options.

Sound now sorted.
:)

...do you think I would be able to choose the bit rate if I updated the drivers in Windows?

This guide :

, says that its possible to select the 'High Definition Audio Device' when manually updating the drivers (my laptop currently has the blue ringed driver but wondering if I chose the red ringed driver instead, if it would make any difference) :

1594809697307.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom