Can't browse Internet when downloading

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by bilton_2, Jul 5, 2015.

1. bilton_2

bilton_2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently moved home and have set everything up exactly the same except I have changed my BT fibre broadband to Sky (fastest but not fibre) broadband. (My first mortgage so trying to save money!)

The router is downstairs next to phone and TV. My PC is upstairs but I use homeplug to network through the house.

I can use internet fine on PC except when I download using torrent it seems to use all available space and stops me from using Internet in my phone, iPad etc.

I know I expected much slower download speeds with the change I made but didn't expect to have to choose between downloading and using the Internet!

Please can and advise what I should do?

Is it a modem issue?
    Is it Utorrent settings issue? I have changed them since I moved.
    Is it normal without fibre for this to happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Stop downloading & browsing, then try this Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Depending on what you get, anything less than 5MB's??? well 5 anyway. You will need to limit the torrent downloads.

Max download over copper is 17, my stepdaughter has sky, it's crap.

3. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    The "point" of "torrent" type technology is to use your network links to the maximum possible extent, so it's not surprising that it's monopolising your link when torrenting. Either, don't use torrent type technology or maybe look for a torrent client that has some kind of "throttle" or "bandwidth" setting so you can choke it a bit and leave some bandwidth for everything else.