Cant boot into MS dash

bobinski

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have an x-box hard modded withthe executor chip and Evox and xbmc as the dash.120 GIG Hard drive,preinstalled games and emulators.Bought off Ebay.
Problem is I cant boot into the ms dash without recieving a support message no.15.The guy who sold it to me wont respond to my emails and texts.I want to acsess the Ms dash to set up auto widescreen and ntsc.I know i can run games in ntsc via xbmc BUT i watch a lot of films on my plasma and want to use the dvd player in the xbox but i need the ms dash,as i say, to sret up auto ws because the option in xbmc is blanked out otherwise.Phew!!

So,i there a way to reinstall the MS dash without interfering with xbmc etc?If not and i need a full reinstall of the ms dash followed by xbmc then is there a way to back up and reinstall the games etc? i can network to a pc if i have too.

Finally,i noticed that when i delete games i dont need TWO drives E and F[i think]reduce by the same amount.Does this mean the games are inastalled twice?
Sorry for all the questions.I love my new x-box and want to transfer 55 gig of high quality mp3,s on to it but cant until i resolve these issues.
Regagrds
Bob

If you can download one of the many install discs that are about you can easily install the Ms Dash as an alternative Dasboard and then you can use a program called Xswitch to change between the 2! You dont have to worry about the stuff already on the HDD that will be safe as the install disc will only install what you want!
If you cant find one then let me know and i;ll send you a copy of one of mine , i have 4 or 5 to choose from - all i ask is you cover the postage and cost of the DVD!
The E: and F: are partitions on the same drive so dont worry about that either , i doubt the games will be installed twice!

bobinski said:
Hi
I have an x-box hard modded withthe executor chip and Evox and xbmc as the dash.120 GIG Hard drive,preinstalled games and emulators.Bought off Ebay.
Problem is I cant boot into the ms dash without recieving a support message no.15.The guy who sold it to me wont respond to my emails and texts.I want to acsess the Ms dash to set up auto widescreen and ntsc.I know i can run games in ntsc via xbmc BUT i watch a lot of films on my plasma and want to use the dvd player in the xbox but i need the ms dash,as i say, to sret up auto ws because the option in xbmc is blanked out otherwise.Phew!!

So,i there a way to reinstall the MS dash without interfering with xbmc etc?If not and i need a full reinstall of the ms dash followed by xbmc then is there a way to back up and reinstall the games etc? i can network to a pc if i have too.

Finally,i noticed that when i delete games i dont need TWO drives E and F[i think]reduce by the same amount.Does this mean the games are inastalled twice?
Sorry for all the questions.I love my new x-box and want to transfer 55 gig of high quality mp3,s on to it but cant until i resolve these issues.
Regagrds
Bob

try XBMC pimped to watch your DVDs. It supports DVD menu and upscales to 720p or 1080i - good stuff

You may find you can't boot it with the front panel button if the hard drive is unlocked. Have you also tried launching it from the option in the evox dashboard? If it's there then it should launch it either way. Failing that I would download Autoinstalller 3 if I were you.

I'm not sure if this works with all xecutor chips but it works on my xecuter 3, to enable ntsc and widescreen without going ito the ms dash hold down the white button on the pad when you turn on your xbox , after several seconds you should get an xecuter config screen,
in settings you can change the video region from pal to ntsc j or u, and in video modes you can enable widescreen as well as high definition modes if you have a component cable.
Once you have done the above the auto widescreen option will be available in xbmc.

Although it sounds like the hard drive hasn't been set up correctly if you're getting equal amounts of space freeing up on the E: and F: drives when you delete games, this definately doesn't happen on my xbox.

Id check to see if the hard disk is locked before doing anything else.

If its not then i dont think MS dash will boot, you need to lock the drive, im sure the slayers install disk has the app required to lock drives.

Wow!
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Looks like i should try unlocking the drive first?
So i,ll need Slayers install disc and if that doesnt work reinstall the ms dash?
Martwho-can i take you up on your offer?
I only have a work laptop at the moment and i think they might get upaet if i went to the usual bittorrent sites:rotfl:
Send me a pm with cost etc and i,ll paypal or send you a fiver?
Borland-I have thought about xbmc pimped but i understand that i still need the ms dash to set autowidescreen first.Am i wrong?
Timmyc-i cant do what you suggest so the hard drive is probably unlocked:(
Stammie-yep very strange that.Yet this guy has sold lots of modded xboxes and drives on ebay !
Thanks again!
bobinski

Hello mate - you need to clear some messages so i can send you my address!

bobinski you should still be able to set up the options you want with the xecuter chip while you're waiting for your installer disk in the way I outlined above, that is assuming you have the xecuter bios on your chip.
If you don't I'd recommend getting hold of it (#xbins on effenet on irc is probably the best place to look if you can use irc on your work laptop)
install it with the bios flash program from the team xecutor homepage.
Its worth doing this if you have the evox bios installed, the xecutor bios is much better.
Or, If its an xecuter 3 chip you have I could email the bios to you as its only 1mb

Stammie
I am not sure now what chip/bios i have:oops:
Apparently i have a custom evolution x dashboard and i should have a video mode selector but its not available.
You know,i have been making my own,families and friens pc,s for years but i feel completely out of my depth here.
I am pretty sure its the executor 3 chip.But if i hold the white button down for AGES! it has no effect and i boot straight into xbmc:(
oh well.My email is...
[email protected]
It would be great if you can send it just in case.
How would i uopgrade the bios? copy it to cd ans start up the xbox?
thnks

Hello mate have sent you a PM now - im pretty sure you'll be able to sort your problem with the discs i send - dont attempt to reflash your bios if you dont know what you are doing - you could be royally screwed if it goes wrong!

Sorry I'm having trouble with my email, and my online account wont let me attach the files :(
I'll try again later,
but as martwho said you shouldn't attempt to flash the bios without knowing what you're doing, although there is excellent info at the team xecutor homepage (not sure if I can post their url here but a google search will find it)

Also try asking about your problem at http://forums.xbox-scene.com/ there are some very knowledgeable people there who have probably encountered this before

Oh i wont flash the bios if i can help it!!
Flashed a few pc bios,s in the past and it was a nerve racking experience each time.

Martwho
:thumbsup:
Thanks a lot.
Drive locked,ms dash installed and xbmc updated and all working well.
Auto widescreen and hdef options are now available so I am very happy.
I have lost the option in xbmc to highlight a game on the hard drive,press the white button and then choose to run the game in ntsc but perhaps i need to tinker around .
Thanks again.
A crisp fiver and couple of blank dvd,s are winging their way to you.
cheers
bobinski

Glad to help and thanks for the DVD's ! Let me know if you ever need any other help!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom