1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canopus Lets Edit vs. Pinnacle Studio 9 (and a PC question as well)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by KTedeman, Aug 27, 2004.

1. KTedeman

KTedeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do these two introductory editing programs (and by that I really mean inexpensive) stack up against one another?? Is one better or are they both not very good???

Just trying to sort myself out here before I order the wrong things.

Also, I have an HP which is going to need a little beefing up... but I hear this is easier said than done with the HPs. Are they only compatible with certain manufacturers???

I need a dvd burner to replace my cd burner - an 80gb hard drive to hopefully install along side the prexisiting 40gb hd - probably going to need a new sound card though I'm not sure on that one.... the graphics card meets the minimum requirements for pinnacle - Currently i'm running on 256 ram but was hoping to upgrade to 512 (depending on how much everything costs me I may have to put this off for a month or two)

I'm looking to get these bits and pieces while in the USA as the exchange rate is so good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kate

2. chickenslippers

chickenslippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have experience with studio 9 but not with the other. After a couple of threads to this forum i now use premiere 6.5. Studio 9 is a very simple program to use but it has lots of bugs in the program. Sometimes it doesn't do what it says on the tin and this can be so frustrating after hours of editing. My computer nearly got thrown out of the bedroom window, studio ****** me off that much.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Without going back and reading the reviews I can't say eactly how good each of the 2 editing programs are, but they got marked at 85% for Studio & 90% for Lets Edit* in their reviews in Computer Video Editing mag (Pinacle Studio 9 - April 04, Canopus Lets Edit - Feb 04).
    Studio is renowned for crashing etc and Canpous are well known for editing hardware but until now not for software.

From CVE mag:-
    Studio 9 conclusion: Best entry level editing program when it works, but frquently doesn't. Need to keep up to date with all the software bug fixes.

Edius conclusion: Very stable and powerful editing features, even on lower end PC's
    The above conclusions are reworded by me, but I think it captures what was basically being said in the mag.
    * Review was for the software bundled with Analogue/DV capture card.

Now for your PC:

You will definately have to pay more money for HP/HP compatable RAM. I would strongly recommend upgrading the RAM as this will improve editing times drastically.
    I am not too sure about adding an extra HDD as it may be just a standard IDE upgrade or could be proprietary. But you could always add the HDD & DVD writer as an external drive connected by firewire or USB2.0
    With the cost of large HDD's being so cheap I would say you might as well go for 120Gb or even 160Gb drive as these will cost very little more than an 80Gb drive and you will need all the space you can get. I recently got a 160Gb drive for around £60.
    Any working stereo sound card will be more than good enough, especially to get you started. It can always be upgraded at a later date if required.

Do you already have firewire ports on the PC for connecting your digital cam (I am assuming your cam is digital) to the PC?
    Will you only want to output your footage to the DVD burner or will you want to output to VHS? If only DVD then you need nothing else, but if you want to put the video onto VHS you will need a method of getting the video off the PC. Some digital cams can be used to convert the digital files to analogue to be recorded on a VCR. Can yours do this? If not then you will need to get a card with composite output.

Mark.

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I was asking a similar question a couple of weeks ago and Mark offered me some great advice (Thanks Mark). I too have a HP desktop (duron 850 64MD ram and 30GB hard disk) and was put off upgrading it for 2 reasons. Firstly the ram costs a fortune and there are loads of different ones for HP. Secondly because the HP doesn't use so many off the shelf components I just deided that the upgrade process would have too many chances to end in tears.

I decided in the end to build a new PC just for editing which has cost about £600 without monitors and it only took 1 day to build and setup. I guess I would have only spent £200 if I'd gone down the upgrade path but I still would have had a pretty compromised system for editing.

5. KTedeman

KTedeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you all for your thoughtful replies. I think that I am going to go with the Canopus as the Pinnacle seems to be VERY unreliable.

Anyone know where I can get cheap memory upgrades for my Hp?

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    What about Ulead Video Studio 8?
    Nuch better and more stable than Pinnacle IMO (and many others too!)

7. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you download the trial versions and see which one you get on with best first?

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Have you tried Crucial for a memory upgrade? Their prices and service are excellent. You first key in the manufacturer of your PC and then the model number, and are taken to the correct page for your machine. I have used them before and would recommend them to anyone. Also, I have checked, and they do list HP in their offerings although, obviously, I do not know your particular model.

Regards,

Martin.