1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canopus ADVC-100: Analogue to Digital Video Converter

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ava_tech, Dec 16, 2002.

1. ava_tech

ava_tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the Canopus ADVC-100 works as easily as it seems?

Is it literally... Hi8 Camcorder connected to ADVC-100 using analogue cable, and then connect the ADVC-100 to PC using a firewire connection.

We have a Firewire card and Adobe Premier.... would anything else be needed? or can you playback from the camcorder through Adobe Premier?

I'm only asking, as previously I have always used an external editting deck with DVTools software to prepare clips, before editting in Premier.

Thanks for your help

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I bought a Canopus ADVC-100 after using Dazzle, and DC10+. The quality from ADVC-100 is as good as you can get from analogue. 15 year old analogue tapes when converted, edited and wtitten to DVD are almost unbelievable - they appear to be better than when they are played directly into the TV!

ADVC-100 is as simple to use as you say. Camera composite or s-video and audio to ADVC-100, and then firewire to PC. The only difference to DV editing is that analogue camcorders cannot be controlled fom the capturing application, but this is really not a problem. Audio sync is not a problem as it can be with video capture cards.

3. ava_tech

ava_tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, you confirmed what I thought!

The only other issue which I have thought of is capturing!!

Previously I have used DVTools and a Sony DV-Deck inorder to capture the raw video footage, before editting!

Can Adobe Premier be used to select in and out points and capture the footage to the Hard Drive?

Thanks for your help

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Although I have Premier I have never used it!

I would think that it is like any other editing package, i.e you start the capture before the point at which you want video and stop after you have passed the point at which you want to finish. The precise in and out points are done at the editing stage by selecting and trimming as required. Normally you just capture the whole tape and select what you want from that file.

5. ava_tech

ava_tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have editted in Premier, but the footage which I was editting had previously been captured using DVTools and a Sony DV Deck.

I'd rather not capture the whole tape, due to hard-drive size restrictions.

Therefore, does anyone know if Premier 6 can be used for capturing the initial raw footage from tape to hard-drive?

I know how to use Premier when editting footage which is stored on the Hard-Drive, but what I want to know is if it can be used to pull sections of footage from tape to HD, with respect to in and out points which I pre-set!

Thanks for your help