Canon's new budget range

Google eye

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing the Canon MD101.

At present I have the Sony DCR-HC35. It has great features DVin/OUT and i love the Optical zoom and the nightshot plus,

But the audio internal mic I was'nt overly impressed with.

I used to have a Canon MV830 and the inbuilt mic was much better I thought.
I am a musician and I taped myself doing a gig with the Sony and I found the sound was a bit on the thin side but with the canon it was much richer sounding , I know Canon does tend to pic up some moter noise but for what I was recording It for I thought it picked up my guitar and voice very well. My MV830 eventually packed up on me. I am thinking of getting the MD101 . does anyone know if the built in mic would be the same as the Canon MV830.

The MV830 is now disscontiued I believe.

Are there inbuilt mics very similar amounst the Canons?

Dave

I believe the mics are similar between these models.

Interesting observation... the Canon's do get some bad press for picking up motor noise, but maybe the issue is simply that the onboard mics are more sensitive (which you are seeing as a positive).

Of course with the MD101 you can also add an external mic.

Hi Redsox

Don't get me wrong i do like my Sony .

But I just dug up an old gig that I transferred on to my DVD recorder i recorded a year ago on my Canon MV830
.It was in a indoor open market and I thought it picked up the guitar and vocals with real clarity and with decent volume.

Where as the Sony one had a more compressed thinner sound. Mind you the sony DCR-HC35 does'nt have that option of an external mic.

I did read up on a review of the canon MV850i that they had improved the quality of both sound and picture then there earlier models.

I am hoping that the quailty of the MD101 wuld macth the Canon MV850i or is the MD101 the very entry level cams.

The reports here is that the picture quality is quite decent.

The plus points with the Sony is the batterey charging time is very quick where as the canon does take longer to charge up.

Bt i felt the Canon in meduim light to low light was better then I thought.

I did have a JVC GR-D340 and in meduim to low light was'nt good at all , there were blotches . and the colour seemed to fade throughout the recording .

Dave

dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom