1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon400i

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bhallimond, Dec 7, 2001.

1. bhallimond

bhallimond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in something which has DV in, comes complete with PC card and software and isn't too large.

Someone recommended the Canon 400i, which I can get for £670 in the shops or £570 from the internet with Nomatica (although the ad doesn't say anything about the card and software). Questions:-

Does anyone have any experience of the Canon - is it a good machine?

Do all 400i's come with card and software?

Are there better value alternatives to the 400i?

Has anyone experience of Nomatica?

All advice welcome.

Brian H

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,559
    Why do you want a camcorder which comes with a DV card? Why not buy the best camcorder to suit your needs and buy a firewire card separately?
    You can get the card and cable from UK Digital for about £30 and then get the software on top. I got Pinnacle Studio 7.

3. russellgalbrait

russellgalbrait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the mv450I from jessops. They price matched it with a company called procom on Tottenham court road for £699 this included the firewire kit (cable and adaptor) (same price on amazon)

Having played with it it is very easy to use with an excellent playback quality. I have tried to edit the images on my PC and it takes an age to do anything. I have come to the conclusion I need to upgrade the PC and am in the process of getting more ram and another hard drive.

The camcorder can take stills to a MMC card but the quality isn't great and you also need an additional MMC card reader to view the images (additional cost of around £25), of course you don't get told this when you but the product.

Overall though It is an excellent little camera and am very pleased but this is my first venture into the camcorder market

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to buy one of the canon's, get it from http://www.krishav.co.uk as they are the cheapest.
    Nomatica are very unreliable.
    KrishAV are not.