1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon XL1s

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nkwoolford, Apr 4, 2002.

1. nkwoolford

nkwoolford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can sombody advise me on the Canon XL1s please.
    I have been offered a new one for a good price but I am not sure of compatabiltity issues. It is currently on sale in the USA and states "Television System: EIA standard (525 lines, 60 fields) NTSC color signal "

Does the NTSC mean it is only for the USA or is the camera ok for use in the UK?

Appriciate any help or advise.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Its an NTSC camera. You can use it in any country you like but you'll need an NTSC ( 525/60) capable display device to play it back on. You'll also most likely need a voltage transformer if you plug it into the mains.

Its probably too much hassle to be worthwhile unless you are getting it for 100quid. Source a PAL one is my advice.

You will find a few of these popping up regularly on Loot. Its quite a flash looking camera and attracts gadget freaks like no-ones business but its also a fairly large and fairly technical piece of kit so people often get out of their depth with it or find themselves cursing its bulk on disneyland trips so bingo next stop Loot with hardly any usage on it. The others tend to be from semi-pro videographers who may have put a lot of tape through it but will probably have kept it in good nick and probably serviced it when necessary.

Incidentally the PAL ones in the states sell for about 1grand more than the NTSC ones as its sought after by low budget film makers and PAL ( 625/50 ) is better/easier for transfer to 35mm film.

Its a lovely camera but don't get one if all you want is to the video the family. The XM1 is slightly downgraded technology wise but with similar features and smaller and can be had for 1300quid last time I looked and might be a better bet unless you're semi-pro.

Personally I'd like to buy the XL1(s) but a friend in the know has told me to hold off as there may be some better machines from panasonic and JVC arriving soon. ( I'm not waiting much longer though!)

3. nkwoolford

nkwoolford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks foryour help. I suspected, but wasn't sure, if this was the case with NTSC and PAL. I appriciate the tip.

I think on reflection, you are probably right about the technical aspect of the XL1s. Although I want to move up in performance and quality, it maybe a jump too far at this stage. I did consider the XM1 but I was a bit hesitant as it does not have analogue in/out, something I would find very useful. However, I think it is likely to be the best, next move for me.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Nigel

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    no worries