Canon XA10 or GH10?

Kidson

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

I have an old Panasonic NV-DW 110 3CCD Video Camera. I currently edit on iMac - iMovie - Looking to purchase FCP

I also own a Canon 60D.

However since I use my video for shooting Kids in the swimming pool and for school sports running and for Golf etc - the 60D does not suit as it does not have auto focus.

I am thinking of purchasing either the Canon XA10 or GH10 and would welcome comments as to which I should purchase and why.

Anyone consider any other consumer camera better than the two mentioned above?

Would it be really necesserary to have an external Rode Mic with the XA10?

Who is currently offering the best price for an XA10.

I can acquire a new GH10 for £895 which appears to be the best price posssible.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

12harry

Am I missing something, searched GH10 and am not getting any £895 product - can you check and give details as you wish?

The Canon XA10 is nearly twice that price-level.
- it's not often mentioned here, as Panas seems to be most-popular. I believe it's an excellent camcorder.

Kidson

Novice Member
Bristol Cameras - £999

Saverstore - £990

Waeplus - £895.96

Appreciate Canon XA10 is the same camera as the GH10 but with the addition of Audio XLR inputs - price around £1400.00

XA10

Standard Member
I own an XA10. The G10 is more or less the same camera. The XA10 is definitely the one I wanted as it offers a handle, has infra-red night vision, professional XLR input, has 64GB internal memory (G10 has 32GB), extra programmable zoom control on the handle together with a record button. What I really needed was the XLR Phantom power as I use the Rode NTG-1 mic attached to the cam and besides that, the XA10 actually looks professional especially when a pro-mic with a dead cat is clamped to the side (something people need when it comes to being and looking professional if filming for clients for instance). The handle is also extremely useful which makes filming and general handling more conducive and would never buy another cam without one after getting so used to it. A handle and XLR is a professional choice which you may kick yourself at a later date for not investing in......imho

12harry

#3-Kidson,
thanks will keep an eye on that store.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
#4-XA10:
I'm finding it difficult to accept a couple of XLR sockets (and the audio cntrols I understand), PLUS an IR emitter are really "worth" a bit over £500...... can you explain?

Am I right in thinking the handle is a kinda - model up-date, or is it more subtle than that? . . . I thought the handle was detatchable, leaving it off doesn't prevent taking good vids.
On the Canon HF G10, I read it has LANC - do you use that feature of the XA10?

Edit: re-Formated Post to make replie(s) clearer???

Last edited:

Kidson

Novice Member
I was hoping that others would explain and enlarge upon the benefits of purchasing the XA10 over the GH10 !

Kidson

Novice Member
#3-Kidson,
thanks will keep an eye on that store.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
#4-XA10:
I'm finding it difficult to accept a couple of XLR sockets (and the audio cntrols I understand), PLUS an IR emitter are really "worth" a bit over £500...... can you explain?

Am I right in thinking the handle is a kinda - model up-date, or is it more subtle than that? . . . I thought the handle was detatchable, leaving it off doesn't prevent taking good vids.
On the Canon HF G10, I read it has LANC - do you use that feature of the XA10?

You might wish to take a look here:

rogs

The XA10 is a camcorder that includes professional features, as already explained. That includes XLR audio inputs with phantom power, plus manual audio controls.
According to the specs, there are also more manual controls for the video settings (shooting modes).

The HF G10 is a high end consumer camcorder.

Both camcorders use the same sensor, so are capable of producing similar quality images.

If you don't need the additional professional controls.... and from what you have written so far you probably don't ... just go for the cheaper consumer option...

Last edited:

chrishull3

The XA10 is a camcorder that includes professional features, as already explained. That includes XLR audio inputs with phantom power, plus manual audio controls.
According to the specs, there are also more manual controls for the video settings (shooting modes).

The HF G10 is a high end consumer camcorder.

Both camcorders use the same sensor, so are capable of producing similar quality images.

If you don't need the additional professional controls.... and from what you have written so far you probably don't ... just go for the cheaper consumer option...
Perfectly said and XA10 did say the same as well.

Kidson

Novice Member
I have decided to go for the Canon XA10.

I have however been reading in a similar forum in the USA that many people are reporting when importing footage into iMove and importantly Final Cut Pro X they are seeing a loss of quality!

Is anyone here in the UK experiencing similar problems?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom