Question Canon UK warranty help - camera issue

Johnorama

Hi guys. Few questions I hope someone can answer.

So today, I got home after a day out and tried to turn on my 5D IV ... won't power on. Tried 3 different batteries but nothing.

First question - anything I can trouble shoot when it literally won't power on?

I bought it used from a second hand shop online so I don't know anything about the cameras history - what's I do know is it's still in it's 1 year warranty as the model only came out in September. Only thing is I don't know where's it was originally bought from

So next questions...

Is there a way I can tell if it's a grey import?

How do canon tell? I called support and they had no clue

What would I need to send with it to repair in terms of battery but also things like receipt - considering it's less Than a year since release.

any help would be great

newbie1

Distinguished Member
Ouch, that's not good.

As long as the batteries you tried are charged I can't think of anything else apart from get it to the canon service center. Did it come with any papers? If not can they still provide?

The serial number is on the bottom of the body and should help canon confirm warranty and how to get repaired.

It happened to me once with a battery grip attached and thankfully it was the battery grip that was the problem.

Johnorama

Unfortunately not. It was just the body, battery and charger. I guess I can try and contact the store I bought it from though. Thanks!

shotokan101

Banned
The warranty is transferable fortunately but you will need to provide proof of the Original purchase date

European Warranty Terms and Conditions - Canon UK

Not much you can do if three batteries won't wok - other than checking the battery contacts in the camera are there/clean....

Johnorama

I guess I'll get onto the store / canon after the weekend. I guess I have my other insurance as a last resort too. Very strange though as it was shooting fine earlier. Put back in bag. Get home and take it out and nothing.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Where did you buy it from as most secondhand camera shops offer 6-12m warranty. I find it very bizarre (and poor) that Canon can't tell you if it's grey or not, Nikon just require the serial number and they can tell you straight away.

Have you tried swapping the memory card? Does literally nothing happen when you turn it on?

Seems there have been a number of Canon 5D4's that have just suddenly died (and 1Dx's), not just Nikon with questionable QC then :(

5D Mark IV won't turn on - help!: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Johnorama

Hi

I bought it from eBay but it was a cash converters' eBay store. They only give 6 months so I'm just out.

Got to say I'll be frustrated if they won't let me get warranty repair since it's been out less than a year I'd have hoped it be covered.

I've tried 3 batteries, removing memory cards. Only havjng cf in. Only having sd in. But nothing works. It's literally like a brick, no response at all

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Hi

I bought it from eBay but it was a cash converters' eBay store. They only give 6 months so I'm just out.

Got to say I'll be frustrated if they won't let me get warranty repair since it's been out less than a year I'd have hoped it be covered.

I've tried 3 batteries, removing memory cards. Only havjng cf in. Only having sd in. But nothing works. It's literally like a brick, no response at all
Generally warranties aren't transferable as far as I"m aware, they usually state that they're between the company and the original purchaser. However, Jim's clued up on these things and I'm sure could provide you with links for further info.

If all else fails you could always gathering as much info as possible on similar problems and then contacting Canon demonstrating that it is a relatively common issue and as your camera is less than a year old whether they would fix it as a good will gesture.

Johnorama

Yeah. Luckily canon Europe warranties are transferable. Thing is that support just gave me the repair centre number even though I told them I bought used and didn't have original invoice.

The repair centre is actually a third party who canon outsource to so I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow. It was surprising just how bad the canon support line were.

Then very worse case scenario I would have to claim on house insurance. Luckily I was in the house when I found it had stopped working (was fine earlier in the day)

Jules Tohpipi

It sounds like you're going to be fine with contacting Canon directly and getting the camera repaired free of charge. However to clear up some points of law.

Your statutory rights are with the retailer. In this instance that's Cash Converters. As dictated by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, anyone purchasing a used item from Cash Converters has the same rights as if they had purchased a new item. This means a 12-month warranty - sometimes longer. Of course, same as if you had purchased a new item, after 6 months the onus is on the buyer to prove the item was faulty at purchase. Either way, Cash Converters cannot legally wash its hands of the matter after 6 months (if that is what they are claiming).

Note that 'faulty at the time of purchase' also includes issues such as a manufacturing defect that would cause the item to fail at a later time. As another poster has pointed out, there's some long threads on DPReview about owners with the similar problem.

How easy this is to prove is another matter, but nonetheless when purchasing from a company (Cash Converters) you do have legal remedies even if the item is secondhand and if it is more than six months old.

If Cash Converters won't play ball then your credit card company (if you used one) may be able to help. Have a read up on this for the full details.

Canon can and do offer its own separate guarantee; however, this is in addition to your statutory rights and do not replace them. Typically, the manufacturer is under no obligation to provide you with a guarantee if you did not buy the item from new.

In reality, one would expect Canon to be happy to sort this out directly with you due to the statements made about the guarantee being transferable, and the fact the camera has not been available for twelve months yet. Good luck.

Johnorama

Thanks for the info. That's really useful. I'm going to contact canon in the morning and see what they say. Apparently they can tell from the serial number if it's a proper UK model. And then go from there...

shotokan101

Banned
Let us know how you get on - good luck..... :)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It sounds like you're going to be fine with contacting Canon directly and getting the camera repaired free of charge. However to clear up some points of law.

Your statutory rights are with the retailer. In this instance that's Cash Converters. As dictated by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, anyone purchasing a used item from Cash Converters has the same rights as if they had purchased a new item. This means a 12-month warranty - sometimes longer. Of course, same as if you had purchased a new item, after 6 months the onus is on the buyer to prove the item was faulty at purchase. Either way, Cash Converters cannot legally wash its hands of the matter after 6 months (if that is what they are claiming).

No the consumer rights act doesn't mean a second hand goods item will have a 12 month warranty (or longer??). Nor for that matter does it state new items have to have 12 month (or longer) warranty either.

Warranties and guarantees are in addition to your legal rights under that act. So typically on a one year warranty for a new item you don't have to prove cause of fault and would get a replacement/repair as per its terms (so long as that didn't affect your statutory rights).

In this case cash convertors 6 month warranty is in addition to the CRA and is provided by the retailer.

As it's past 6 months, under the CRA it would be up to the op to prove there was a fault at purchase time and cash convertors would have to repair.

However hopefully it's a UK/eu model covered by Canon's eu warranty and not a grey import so will get repaired!

Johnorama

Ended up calling around a few of the authorised centres. All of them said they need the original invoice to be able to do warranty repair. One of the places came across really well and told me just to send what I've got and they'll see what they can do... so off it went yesterday and fingers are crossed.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Can you not contact the seller to see if they still have the original invoice?

shotokan101

Banned
Cash Converters eBay purchase....

shotokan101

Banned

Johnorama

This is whats funny, I've contacted the store and they appeared to genuinely try to be helpful - but then said they have no contact details for the original seller!

There were a few bits of paper with it when it arrived, so I've just sent it all with the camera and going to have to see what comes of it. Nightmare though, as I got one of the centres to search the serial number and they did say it was a valid EU / UK serial...

Phill104

I find it very bizarre (and poor) that Canon can't tell you if it's grey or not, Nikon just require the serial number and they can tell you straight away.

Not poor at all. I have in the past sent an item off to Canon knowing I bought it overseas in an area where I also knew was outside their warranty area. In effect, it was a grey import. When I phoned Canon they did the same thing, just said they cannot look it up. So I popped it into their repair centre and 5 days later I picked it up repaired under warranty. I got the impression from talking to the engineer they try to just keep the customer happy but do not want open flood gates to iffy importers so there is an element of flexibility. Some brands would have simply given me a bill.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom